Do you count exercise calories?

Options
I've been counting my exercise calories toward my total daily intake but not losing weight even though I keep within my 1.200 target when I do this. Am I missing the point, should I only coun food calories toward my daily total allowance? Should the calories burned during exercise not be added? What do others do?

Replies

• 13pointUNO
    Options
    It's about time someone asked this question! I'll sit back and wait for answers too.
  • teisman
    Options
    I don't count my exercise points toward my daily - that way I'm burning additional calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    When you say count them, describe what you are doing.

Are you adding the exercise in your exercise log, and having that increase your goal calories for the day?
  • mmtrnr
    mmtrnr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always count my exercise calories. And I eat them back. I am also very honest about my activity level so my base calories are accurate. I've lost an average of 1.9 pounds per week since I've started. So something is working for me.
  • AmandaTheNewMe
    AmandaTheNewMe Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I understand it you are supposed to eat your daily total plus what you burn. I guess you need to fuel your body for all the work you put it through.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I don't really know, that's a good question. What I've done is eat SOME of my exercise calories but I always leave extra so I'm burning off more. I usually just do light exercise every day but if you're working out hard I wouldn't worry too much about the number on the scale. The fat will come off eventually. Also it's easy to be impatient when it comes to losing weight but think of how long it took to gain it. Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll notice a change. 1200 cals is my target also, but it's not a lot so don't pressure yourself to eat less than that. Oh and maybe make sure you're eating healthy foods that your body can digest and process easier. Processed and junks foods are no good no matter how much u work out
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I record all my exercise activity, but only what I consider to be true exercise - meaning, I need to be sweating a significant amount and getting my heart rate up. I do not log "every day activities" (cleaning the house, grocery shopping,etc)... not eating back my exercise calories works for me but I'm not completely opposed to eating them. If I am hungry and I have the extra calories to consume, I will. Just not everyday.

The most important thing is finding what works for you; listen to your body. Everyone is different & what works for someone else might not work for you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    To start with 1200 is a very low daily food budget unless you are very small. You should be eating 100 to 200 over your BMR. Just because the MFP calculator gve you 1200 doesn't make it right. It only does math, it's up to you to include the common sense portion.

I don't eat my exercise calories and I only log real exercise that isn't part of my daily life, things like running or cycling and not house cleaning or yard work.

You might want to re evaluate what your daily intake should be because believe it or not eating too little will mess up your weight loss just as much as eating too much.
  • sama53
    sama53 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughtful replies! I was talking about real, vigorous work outs, but I like the idea of only using some of the calories earned for my daily allowance. Maybe that will make a difference. Thanks again.