Losing weight to join the military!

Options
Hi, the names Grace and I'm a 20 year old chick, looking to join the military.

I gotta lose about 80 pounds before I'm eligible to enlist.

Here's to hoping that I'll make my goal within a year and be on my way to basic by fall of 2013. =)

I hope I'll make some friends here and get all the advice I can get to apply to my day to day life even after when I join the USAF.

I'm still unsure of what I'm supposed to do really aside from the obvious diet/exercise, I'm still a tad overwhelmed with all sorts of information out there, I'm not sure which one I should do to get my results in time.

Let's hope I can wade through all the crap out there and find what truly works, lol.

I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm looking for a complete lifestyle change. =)

In any case, can't wait to cross over into the blue. =)

Replies

• topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    seems to me if you do the bootcamp type exercises that should get you in shape and prepare you for when you have to do them once enlisted. good luck and thank you for your service to our country
  • RockyColorado
    Options
    You have a goal and set up an account here which is a great way to start!

Some ideas:

1) Meet with a dietician
    2) Get a gym membership and use a trainer (it is never too early to start practicing exercises which will be on your fitness test!)
    3) Get some exercise clothes....when you see them hanging up in the closet it should help motivate you
    4) Ask friends to see if they will join you on this journey
    5) From experience...laugh...quit caffeinated today
    6) What I finally did...Go all in....100%
    7) I find rewarding myself once a week helpful, some people here will disagree with that
    8) I know this sounds funny....teach yourself how to use the nutritional label
    9) Get a pedometer
    10) Download this app to your phone to track calories
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That's great that you're looking to join the military. I love to support all of my friends on MFP. I will send you a request. Anyone else feel free to add!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    aww, man. makes me so jealous. i wanted to be in the AF since I could remember, but I was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago so now I can't </3. Good luck with everything girl!!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What an amazing goal!!!!! I haven't ever been in the military but i was a Navy wife for 4 years. I've go so much respect for our men and women in uniform.

Have you talked with the recruiter about what he recommends for exercise? Sometimes they even run a PT class for recruits that are working to get fit enough to enter service. That would be a great place to start. Or find a bootcamp style workout in your area. Many of the trainers have been in the military and know what it takes to succeed.

Good luck!!!! Add me if you would like (and don't mind an "old lady" as a friend :laugh: ). You will be able to do this!! There is tons of support on this site.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    cut your calories.

run 6 days a week (add these burned calories to your daily total)

do some kind of exercises or weight lifting
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Welcome, congratulations, and thank you!

Feel free to friend me and I'll be as supportive as I can be :) Also, I know I have at least one friend on my friends list who is also getting fit in order to enlist, so maybe she'll see this post and find a kindred spirit.
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If this helps...

I am a US Army Ranger who returned from Afghanistan early this year and really let myself go. I told myslef that I had earned the right to be a little lazy.( Okay... alot lazy) After looking at myself and my goals I decided to get back on track. I enjoy blogging because it keeps my accountable and it gives me goals. For my workout routine I have been following P90X. I will also be training for a 10K during the next few months. As a Soldier I view myself as a professional athlete and I need to train and eat accordingly. Only clean foods and tough workouts with plenty of rest. I am a driven person but I need the right motivation.  For me setting goals and breaking expectations is something I thrive on. I have starting blogging about what I do as far as fitness and nutrition and if you want to check it out it is http://teamfightinggenetics.com

I call the blog "Fighting Genetics" Because there are people out there who are predisposed to being athletic and having a good physique. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. I have learned over time how to train and eat in a way to help me achieve my goals. That is why I have started the blog. To help others that have to WORK for the results they want.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Good luck to you. It takes a special person to volunteer during a time of war.

-Ryan
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Talk to a recruiter. They can often help you with it.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There's no mystery to it. Log your food religiously. Cut out the crap like cheetos, soda, nachos, etc. Do some cardio, and be patient.
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Grace! I am also losing weight to join the military! I am leaning more towards Navy but also looking into USAF :) I sent ya a friend request :) I found it really helps to have other friends with the same goals
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting idea. Find out what the fitness test to get in involvesand do it now just to see what is involved and to set a bench mark. You could re-do it every 2 months to track your progress.

Possibily see a trainer of recruitment staff to suggest some kind of program.

You'll need to do a combination of cardio and strength work/weights. Perhaps start with 3x strength/weights work and 3 x cardio per week with one day off. You don't need to go all out to begin with, just get moving/lifting. I reccomend heavy (for you) lifting. You could try the New Rules of Lifting for Women (it's a book) to begin with as a good place to start with weight training. For cardio you could try a mixture of interval walking/running, longer runs, sprint training and boxing to name a few. You'll have to experiment to find out what works for you but I assume you'll have to do running at some point to get into the military. Boxing is awesome for cardio and strength (also stress relief)