Need some help on TDEE & Daily calorie intake

Options
Hi all,

I am a 5'24" girl, currently is 127 lbs, 31 years old. I would like to lose my weight to 116 lbs. However, after two months of hard workout and food control, I only lost 3~4 lbs (was 131lbs before). Average 1.5 lbs every month. I hope I can lose at least 5 lbs before Christmas.

I am very confused now.

MFP suggest my net calories is 1200 per day. I did a lot of exercise, and burn at least 200 calories per day (some days are 400 calories or more). I almost do exercise everyday. I keep my food calorie around 1300 calories everyday. Do I eat too little? I checked my TDEE, it's 2500 calories everyday. Any suggestion on how should I change my calorie goal? I eat healthy food and veges everyday..

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• chunchiaw
    chunchiaw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anyone please?
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary and maybe we can give you advice based on our observations.

(I've always been a believer in quality, not quantity)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Try eating 20-30 % below your TDEE. I eat 10% below now I'm close to goal.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    Open your food diary and maybe we can give you advice based on our observations.

(I've always been a believer in quality, not quantity)

Opened.. Thanks!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I believe that the closer that you are to you goal the slower it comes off.

See more info about eating between BMR and TDEE in the group section as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE seems high. You're doing over 6 hours per week of strenuous exercise? Just want to make sure calculations are correct.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    I believe that the closer that you are to you goal the slower it comes off.

See more info about eating between BMR and TDEE in the group section as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Thanks so much. I am really confused..
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    Your TDEE seems high. You're doing over 6 hours per week of strenuous exercise? Just want to make sure calculations are correct.

I do Curves training on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.. Mon, Wed, Fri - Swimming for about 40mins..

Normally, I will also do Turbo Fire during night time.. 30 or 45mins..
    Sat and Sun - Turbo Fire 45 or 55mins..
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Then 1300 cals is too low for you if you're working out that much. Try to bump up your cals by 200-300 per day for a couple weeks and see what happens. If no progress, then bump up even more until you're closer to TDEE-20%.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    Then 1300 cals is too low for you if you're working out that much. Try to bump up your cals by 200-300 per day for a couple weeks and see what happens. If no progress, then bump up even more until you're closer to TDEE-20%.

AH!! I thought it was enough..

Do I need to "reset" myself? No wonder I always feel hungry during night time..
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi all,

I am a 5'24" girl, currently is 127 lbs, 31 years old. I would like to lose my weight to 116 lbs. However, after two months of hard workout and food control, I only lost 3~4 lbs (was 131lbs before). Average 1.5 lbs every month. I hope I can lose at least 5 lbs before Christmas.

I am very confused now.

MFP suggest my net calories is 1200 per day. I did a lot of exercise, and burn at least 200 calories per day (some days are 400 calories or more). I almost do exercise everyday. I keep my food calorie around 1300 calories everyday. Do I eat too little? I checked my TDEE, it's 2500 calories everyday. Any suggestion on how should I change my calorie goal? I eat healthy food and veges everyday..

Thanks a lot!

Actually, your TDEE would be 1300 avg eaten plus (1.5 lbs monthly * 3500 / 30 =) 175 = 1475

You exercised yourself into a slower metabolism probably with so much activity and far too little eating.

For sure only increase calories by 100 a day for a week, then add another 100 next week. If you are interested in actually getting it back up to full speed.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    Hi all,

I am very confused now.

Thanks a lot!

Actually, your TDEE would be 1300 avg eaten plus (1.5 lbs monthly * 3500 / 30 =) 175 = 1475

You exercised yourself into a slower metabolism probably with so much activity and far too little eating.

For sure only increase calories by 100 a day for a week, then add another 100 next week. If you are interested in actually getting it back up to full speed.

Thank you so much. That means I have to start to eat about 1500 per day?
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi all,

I am very confused now.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you so much. That means I have to start to eat about 1500 per day?

Close enough if you will continue to do exercise, and still eat back those exercise calories.

You should also set your goal to 1lb weekly loss, may be given this higher goal anyway.

Now, you have been probably not replenishing your glucose stores for a long time, and your body has been wanting to with all that exercise.
    You should see about a 1-2 lb weight gain after first couple bigger days as glucose is finally stored with water.

Don't worry, that's the water weight you lost initially, probably, and the gain that would have come at some point anyway.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    Do you mean that 1500 calories is what I should eat "without" doing those exercise?

I don't really worry about the weight, but I want to find the best way to lose weight..
  • heybales
    Options
    Do you mean that 1500 calories is what I should eat "without" doing those exercise?

I don't really worry about the weight, but I want to find the best way to lose weight..

I was just stating your TDEE isn't has high as you mathematically have calculated because you slowed your metabolism down likely.

If your real TDEE was really that high, would you only be losing 1.5 lbs a month? No, of course not.

You should though reach the level you calculated with goal TDEE - 15% this close to goal weight, soon to be 10% with 5lbs left.

That goal TDEE is what it could be, just stating it is no where near there yet. You got some work to do to get it back up.

Did you check out the spreadsheet in that topic posting - do you a world of good as it has many many folks.
  • chunchiaw
    Options

I was just stating your TDEE isn't has high as you mathematically have calculated because you slowed your metabolism down likely.

If your real TDEE was really that high, would you only be losing 1.5 lbs a month? No, of course not.

You should though reach the level you calculated with goal TDEE - 15% this close to goal weight, soon to be 10% with 5lbs left.

That goal TDEE is what it could be, just stating it is no where near there yet. You got some work to do to get it back up.

Did you check out the spreadsheet in that topic posting - do you a world of good as it has many many folks.

Yes, I downloaded it and trying to understand those at the moment. Guess I need to get the definition of everything first..
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    I ate 1600 calories and burn 500 calorie today. However, my tonight's weight is totally out of control.. gained three pounds in one day... :(
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 3 lbs in one day. Weight flucuates so much even by the hour sometimes, so step away from the scale and weigh yourself once a week to see a change. You can't change your caloric intake one day and expect to see a change that night. Stick with it and if you don't see a change in a few weeks than reevaluate. Don't stress out though- I weigh myself daily but I only "weighin" on Friday mornings- same time, same scale wearing the same clothes. I understand the flucuation that occurs so I don't freak out about it and only really pay attention to what it says Friday. It's about consistancy.
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    You didn't gain 3 lbs in one day. Weight flucuates so much even by the hour sometimes, so step away from the scale and weigh yourself once a week to see a change. You can't change your caloric intake one day and expect to see a change that night. Stick with it and if you don't see a change in a few weeks than reevaluate. Don't stress out though- I weigh myself daily but I only "weighin" on Friday mornings- same time, same scale wearing the same clothes. I understand the flucuation that occurs so I don't freak out about it and only really pay attention to what it says Friday. It's about consistancy.

Thank you so much...

Yes, I guess I stressed out because of that 3 pounds of difference. Trying to be brave to eat more, but also am afraid of seeing the result. Will try to keep away from my scale. THANKS!