Couch to 10k advice

Options
Hi Everyone

I started the couch to 10k programme yesterday, with a fantastic start.

The first session was "run 1 min, walk 2 mins, for 34 mins in total" including a 5 mins walk to warm up and 5 min walk to cool down. I did the walking at speed 6 and the running (more jogging!) at speed 8 (is this Kilometers per hour on a treadmill?? the machine was in km), could anyone recommend the speed I should be doing the waling/ running at. I know its personal really, and depends on your fitness, but would you recommend walking and running to your maximum ability or would you say walking should be more resting? The run was comfortable at 8, but the walk felt quite fast, although doable, especially after 25 mins. According to the machine I burned approx 600 cals, which I was very happy with. (I know though that the machines can be inaccurate)

Thanks guys

Louise

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    should be at a speed that allows you to complete the session
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Should be at a comfortable speed that when running you could still hold a conversation. Start the program out too fast and you will either risk an injury or tire out and not perform well. Speed comes with time, training and experience.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When you do a training run it should be at a pace that allows you to speak in complete sentences, the walking portion should be done at a "brisk" walk. What that translates to for you personally I don't know, but those are the usual "rules". Hope it helps.
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful! :) On to session 2 tonight xx
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am not a coach, but I heard that walk shoud be faster than a "liesurely stroll" and slower than a "gotta go"