Weight loss with PCOS

Replies

• sunnyj81
    sunnyj81 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello Ladies,

I also have PCOS and need to lose weight in order to start a family and just be healthy in general. I only need to lose 50lbs, but I know it's going to be a struggle. Need all the support I can get!! Please add me if you like!
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Hey ladies!

I'm 32yo, mother of 2 girls, 8 and 12. I was actually just diagnosed with PCOS last week. I've been dealing with my weight all my life and missing periods left and right. I was actually told by one Dr, that every woman's cycle was different. And mine was completely normal. That was after 38 days straight of being on my period. But, now that I haven't have a period in 3 months, this Dr actually took me serious. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about 5 months. Then once I was late, I was sure I was pregnant. After SO MUCH blood work, and negative pregnancy tests, my Dr ordered the ultrasound. I was totally shocked when she said I had PCOS. I knew people before who had it, and never thought that's what was going on with me. I would always think, ok, maybe it's just the stress that has things all messed up, or maybe me being overweight. I didn't know. Sucks, how you go to a Dr, and they tell you, you're fine. Now this. I've been started on 10 days of Progesterone pills, to start my period. If that doesn't work, I'll have to start taking Metformin. I'm extremely nervous about the whole thing.

Please feel free to add me.

I could use some friends going through the same things as me, as I begin my weightloss journey.
  • melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    Hi ladies... I am also a PCOSer, and I'm trying to get down to a healthy weight, but often the scale just goes in the wrong direction... I'd love some more friends who are in the same boat, so please feel free to add me!

Hi, welcome to the board! I feel the same as you, I have right at 80 lbs to lose. i will add you asap! :)
  • melissawilson21
    Hello Ladies,

I also have PCOS and need to lose weight in order to start a family and just be healthy in general. I only need to lose 50lbs, but I know it's going to be a struggle. Need all the support I can get!! Please add me if you like!

Hi, I have known a lot of people in the stage of life you are in right now with the same problem with good outcomes. I will be moe than happy to support you and I am excited that you wil be able to start a family soon, I know it is a major blessing :)
  • melissawilson21
    Hey ladies!

I'm 32yo, mother of 2 girls, 8 and 12. I was actually just diagnosed with PCOS last week. I've been dealing with my weight all my life and missing periods left and right. I was actually told by one Dr, that every woman's cycle was different. And mine was completely normal. That was after 38 days straight of being on my period. But, now that I haven't have a period in 3 months, this Dr actually took me serious. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about 5 months. Then once I was late, I was sure I was pregnant. After SO MUCH blood work, and negative pregnancy tests, my Dr ordered the ultrasound. I was totally shocked when she said I had PCOS. I knew people before who had it, and never thought that's what was going on with me. I would always think, ok, maybe it's just the stress that has things all messed up, or maybe me being overweight. I didn't know. Sucks, how you go to a Dr, and they tell you, you're fine. Now this. I've been started on 10 days of Progesterone pills, to start my period. If that doesn't work, I'll have to start taking Metformin. I'm extremely nervous about the whole thing.

Please feel free to add me.

I could use some friends going through the same things as me, as I begin my weightloss journey.

Hi, I take metformin and it did work at first. I just started it again after being two months off of it and I have not had a period for 3 months. id have a tubal ligation when I was 21 after having my third child so I doubt pregnancy even though it is still possile for me..they suggest if I miss my period for that long amount of time to take a pregnancy test regardless of the tubal. I haven't had a period tha has lasted as long as yours did..the longest mine lasted was for about 7 days.. You may also want to check is you are insulin resistant as well, the signs of that is darker areas under your arms,neck and inside of the leg area. if so, you need to really watch your sugar; I have this and it is a wreck..but watching my sugar has helped it and you can tell if you take in too much sugar because the spots will ge darker..it's crazy! They also say the more of a healthier weight you are, the symptoms will go away..but I am not sure on that yet. Thanks so much for posting to this board and I wish you the best of luck on conceiving!! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I also have PCOS. Just started my weight loss journey about a month ago. When you say that it is harder to lose weight, may I ask what exactly you mean? I am wondering what kind of battle I need to prepare for :/

It just means that, as hard as it is for anyone to lose weight, for us it's that much more difficult. We have to be careful of what kind of food we eat in addition to watching our calories. The best diet (diet meaning the food we eat, not a temporary regimen for the sake of weight loss) for us to adhere to is something similar to what a diabetic eats. We can still eat "good" carbs like fruits and whole grains, but in moderation. Anything with added sugar, processed foods, starchy foods like white potatoes and rice, and white breads and pasta are all pretty much off limits.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    You may also want to check is you are insulin resistant as well, the signs of that is darker areas under your arms,neck and inside of the leg area. if so, you need to really watch your sugar; I have this and it is a wreck..but watching my sugar has helped it and you can tell if you take in too much sugar because the spots will ge darker..it's crazy!

Yep. I started to notice when I cut out simple carbs and all the junk that it started getting much lighter in color...especially after the doc put me on Metformin.
  • Hi all. I also have PCOS, and have done since I was 16. I am 21 now, and have been living with it for 5 years. I take metformin, which is a wonderful drug. It regulates me, and it is also a weight loss drug. i know that this sounds like a bit of a cheat, but it really is a good thing to have. Four months ago, I weighed 115.8. Now, I weigh 103.8. That is an average of half a stone a month. I can't say that it has been easy, and there have been a few setbacks, but what I can say is that I am proud of what I have achieved, and I couldn't have done it without the support of my family and friends. With hard work, and yes, a little bit of help, I am on my way to having my dream body. Friend me if you want!
  • ADT83
    ADT83 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi All, I also suffer from PCOS and am trying hart to lose about 60lbs. My last doctor check-up was a wake-up call for me when I was told I was at 198lbs. I try really hard to do things naturally, using herbs and vitamins, and acupuncture. I've made an effort to exercise regularly since June, and go to the gym for an hour a day, 5 days a week mixing up cardio with weight training. After not seeing any weight loss, I picked things up a bit, and am now closely monitoring my food intake and trying to walk more daily. My question for you all is regarding your cycles... I've noticed that when I decrease my calorie intake, my cycles become irregular. I am now on cycle day 72 and beyond three weeks of erratic spotting, have not ovulated, nor have I had a period. It's so strange, because up until I started watching what I eat, my periods were becoming more regular and I was ovulating with each cycle since I became more active in June. Has anyone else had this sort of problem before? From everything I've read, and the advise of my doctor, I assumed that the opposite should be happening...
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    For my cycle, it really doesnt matter what I do. I'm on day 56 of my cycle. No spotting, just random massive cramping. I walk/jog 2-3miles everyday and do weights, maybe 3x a week. I havent lost any weight, just inches. Which I'm still happy with, lol. But, I watch my calories and stay active. Nothing seems to work for me. My Dr told me I need to lose about 50lbs, and I should go back to regualr cycles. But, if I'm doing all this with no change...I'm not too sure what else I need to do.

Hope we get some answers soon. This is all very annoying, lol.
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Amy,
    Thank you for this info. I'm a carb lover but will start treating it like I am diabetic as well and hopefully I will have better results.
  • melissawilson21
    HI,

I haven't had my period in three months; I am linking this to stress, hormones and pcos and weight loss. I think once everything stablizes and your body adjusts to what you are doing such as reguating your eating habits, it will be fine. I am so happy that I am not alone in this..the only thing I wish though is that my symptoms would let up. I have noticed since I have been diagnosed two years ago is my hair growth. I noticed it did increase on my arms and I have two little black hairs on my face which makes me freak out..I do notice if I watch what i eat sugar wise it lessens up.. soo weird!
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Hello! I have been struggling with PCOS for almost 10yrs. It has been a long & frustrating road filled with many medical problems & very few solutions. Many of your stories are the same or similar to what I have experienced! I have messaged some posters to be my friend, but anybody, please feel!
  • I too have PCOS, i found out yesterday! This message board is very inspiring to me! Im so happy to know im not alone! I found out a lot of interesting tips, like eating like a diabetic. Thanks!
  • melissawilson21
    I too have PCOS, i found out yesterday! This message board is very inspiring to me! Im so happy to know im not alone! I found out a lot of interesting tips, like eating like a diabetic. Thanks!

Thanks for joining us! :)
  • melissawilson21
    Hi everyone!
    Halloween is almost here and I see Christmas trees everywhere!! Crazy huh? Anyways, I know after Halloween, our holiday dinners/lunches/breakfasts amps up quite a bit..so in this case I would like to start up someting with out group since we all have the same thing in common. I would like for everyone in the next few weeks share your favorite/healthy recipes. One cool thing I learned a while back was usinga 12 oz can of your favorite diet drink with a box of sugar free cake mix. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far!

Melissa
  • melissawilson21
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I have been away. Everything has ben hectic and I have been stress eating. I have calmed down in the last day or two though thank goodness.. I took pictures of myself and gave myself motivation and I also bought a 14/16 Lane Bryant knit top I need to finish working my way into, super vintage and cute! How do you guys motivate yourselves through things like this?
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    I have PCOS too!! Love to make friends ladies!! Please add me!
  • Just_do_it_xo
    Just_do_it_xo Posts: 30 Member
    Wow! first of CONGRATS on your weightloss as of now!!! You can do anything your heart sets out to do! I too was diagnoised with PCOS at 20 years old, last year. I weighed 147lbs and as of today I weigh 130lbs. A couple of slip ups but atleast you are aware you want to change for your health and family!!! Congrats melissa!

Add me ladies! Lets stick together!! <3 xoxox
  • mefit87
    mefit87 Posts: 57 Member
    Hello :) I have pcos aswell, was diagnosed when I was 19years old.... I'm 25 now. I'm determined to lose the weight and become healthy. The number 1 reason for me wanting to be at a healthy weight is because I know it will make a huge difference in the symptoms that are associated with pcos. I also wish to have children one day and right now it's just not possible for me :s. I wish you all the best and feel free to add me. We girls, need to stick together and help eachother get through this. :D