What do you do when you eat at a friend's house?

Options
I have a friend who likes for my family to come over a couple times and month and eat with her family. I have nothing against it, but I'm trying to watch what I eat and I'm trying to figure out if I should keep my portions super tiny or what. My friend doesn't really eat "healthy" things, and I've, for the most part, completely re-vamped my entire diet. I know one night of eating like that is fine, but I was wondering if anyone else happens to be in similar situations and what you do about it.

Thanks!

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    Stick with your program. You could offer to make a salad for them.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yup thats what I would do too....ask to bring something to share that will go well with what she is making and eat that as your main portion then try lil bits of what she has available so as to not hurt her feelings but if she asks just be honest and say your trying to get healthier now :) she will understand and be fine with it....good friends are there for you.....or you could also ...if you know ahead of time when you are going over....to save extra calories from prior days....get good workouts in and lots of water to help flush then just eat what she has but keep mind on portions and have good time:)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I eat something small and healthy beforehand so I am just careful with my portions.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    Offer to bring something and make it something healthy that you'll eat. I probably wouldn't eat anything before hand because even watching what you eat you're probably eating more than you think you are.

I allow myself to enjoy being out in moderation, but typically when we do things like that it is a potluck and I bring something healthy.

The other option is to offer to alternate having them over every other time.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If possible, I try to watch what I eat during the rest of day so that I don't need to worry so much about going over my goals when dinner comes around. That just requires some forwarning.

Then, at dinner, I usually try to keep the portions small. If they notice the smaller portions, I try to explain by give them a compliment (which, because the friends I eat with tend to be foodies, is usually true): "I'm trying to watch my weight, but everything's so good I don't want to miss out on giving everything a taste."
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eat what they're serving, just less of it.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

this, and also to bring a salad to pass!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to have a less-than-perfect dinner at your friend's house, make sure the rest of your day is perfect and just enjoy your meal with your friends.

Think of the 80/20 rule. One "bad" meal a week is only about 5% of your weekly meals. If you're eating good the rest of the time, that's a 95/5 ratio, not an 80/20 ratio. :wink:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of offering to bring a salad!
    Just be sensible about how much you eat, and try to minimize the portions of the "less healthy" options they have. Small amount of macaroni and cheese. Larger portion of roast chicken or vegetable side dish, for example.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever beer is in the fridge and tell them I'm doing them a favor.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to have a less-than-perfect dinner at your friend's house, make sure the rest of your day is perfect and just enjoy your meal with your friends.

Think of the 80/20 rule. One "bad" meal a week is only about 5% of your weekly meals. If you're eating good the rest of the time, that's a 95/5 ratio, not an 80/20 ratio. :wink:

This!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would continue to go. I'm not necessarily in your situation... but, I usually go to a lot of meetings and parties (my mom loves Pampered Chef and Tupperware parties). I eat good the rest of the day, allowing myself a little room that night. Plus, I do good every other day. One day (or even 2 days) every week or so is not going to completely ruin you. Just use portion control.

Good luck... and have fun.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Whether you indulge in what your friends serve depends on what it is. Do you have certain foods that represent red lines for you?
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would definitely bring a healthy option and eat small portions of everything else. And stick with water!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring something healthy to offset what they serve.
    Have a healthy snack and lots of water beforehand.
    Don't drink extra calories.
    Moderate portions

Enjoy!
  • oneill31
    Options
    Id also lovew advice on this! Getting together with friends and eating is just such a sociable thing to do! I have found in the past that when I dont eat, my friends notice and think there is something wrong with me, which draws unwanted attention! So I have started to bring my own "healthy" snacks, ir eat the healthier things they have to offer! Just try to keeo self control, its hard but it can be done :) good luck
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i watch what i eat, and have a smaller portion. sometimes i just say no thanks or just have the veggies and salad or whatever healthy sides they made
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What does she serve that is so unhealthy? I disagree with those that say--bring spmething "healthy" to share--that is a slap in the face to your hostess unless you have always been bringing something. One dinner of extremely unhealthy food will not distroy your plan--life happens. If by "unhealthy" you are talking about a pasta dinner (is economical for company and easy to prepare or serve) or burgers on the grill (just have one) you can plan in advance and have it fit in your day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Stick with your program. You could offer to make a salad for them.

^^^^This. Bring a salad or a side dish of something yummy and healthy for everyone. And stick to sensible portions for the rest of the meal. Enjoy!