FITBIT!!!!

Options
What is it?
How do they work?
Does anyone have one and how do you like it?!!!

Replies

• nomorefatbitch
    Options
    It sounds like a torture device. But that's just me.
  • rebecca43c
    Options
    I just got mine this weekend and I think it is all synced up. I have the ultra and so far i am loving it. I have been hit or miss on logging the food but with today I started out with the fit bit on and have logged breakfast and what I plan to have for lunch. I am going to give MFP and Fitbit 100% and see what I can accomplish...
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and LOVEEEEEEE IT!!!! I just this past week had to buy a new one because I washed mine in the washing machine:( U wear it on your bra strap or in a pocket..wherever..and it tracks your steps and movements all day. you can also set it for workouts and it tells u how many cals u burned, u can also track your sleep-I dont because I have a baby who still doesnt sleep thru the night so I know I am not getting enough sleep LOL. But its the BEST and WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!! It also synchs automatically with MFP (after u set it up) so you earn cals all day based on your activity level. I never take mine off other than to shower and I dont know its there. Its small and light. I RECOMMEND HIGHLY on getting one :) HOPE THIS HELPS :drinker:
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Fitbit works great at giving you an estimation of your activity level and TDEE. I adore mine because of that! Before I got it I was struggling to lose weight and now I just eat 500 calories less than fitbit says I burned and I have lost 11 pounds in 9 weeks! It's working marvelously!
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and LOVEEEEEEE IT!!!! I just this past week had to buy a new one because I washed mine in the washing machine:( U wear it on your bra strap or in a pocket..wherever..and it tracks your steps and movements all day. you can also set it for workouts and it tells u how many cals u burned, u can also track your sleep-I dont because I have a baby who still doesnt sleep thru the night so I know I am not getting enough sleep LOL. But its the BEST and WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!! It also synchs automatically with MFP (after u set it up) so you earn cals all day based on your activity level. I never take mine off other than to shower and I dont know its there. Its small and light. I RECOMMEND HIGHLY on getting one :) HOPE THIS HELPS :drinker:

You should email and ask if they will replace it, they are good about doing so. Perhaps you could gift it if it's too late to return the one you bought. :smile:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit since February this year, and LOVE IT. I wear it on my bra every day, and on my nightshirt at night.

It syncs wth MFP, and can give you a chart of Calories burned vs. calorie intake, and as long as the burn line is above the intake line, you're going to lose weight!

It'll tell you:
    Calories burned
    miles walked
    flights of stairs climbed
    there's a stopwatch on it so you can use that when you work out, then go online and tell it what you did-it'll calculate calories burned.
    There's a flower on it that the more activity you do in a day, the more leaves the flower gets

The charts/info on the website are free. They're coming out with one in a couple of weeks that will sync with your iPhone/iPad.

The information I get is so worth it. It really helps me to stay on track even when the scale doesn't show what (I think) it should; because you can see the calorie in vs. calories burned chart and know that you're on the right track.

You can also plug in your goal weight and it'll tell you when you should reach it. ("if you remain on this track, you'll reach your goal weight on January 1, 2013") It gives me that "light at the end of the tunnel" to shoot for.

(I feel like an advertisement!)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's a pedometer on 'roids. It tracks your steps, stairs climbed and sleep and translates everything into calories burned. It's not fabulous for cardio (it's a pedometer so it's not going to accurately track cycling or rowing etc.) but in terms of tracking actual activity level (I set my activity level on MFP to sedentary and, other than tracking the cardio mentioned above, the Fitbit does the rest.), it's the best. Not to mention that it motivates you to get off your butt!
  • leanngreen
    leanngreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently got one and really enjoy it. Best part is that MFP dumps into it so you only log one time. It helped me to be more active because I try to beat my steps each day and found that I walk more or take stairs more thanbefore. The other day me and my daugter were picking up the neighbor 4 houses over togo shopping, I told my daughter I would walk over there and topick me up with the neighbor, my daughter told me i was obsessed with my new toy! LOL
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I think this might be what I am looking for as well. I'm looking to figure out my TDEE on days that I work vs. days that I am home with my baby (I burn more I know it!), would this device work well for that? Will it track just basic movements, not just steps? Can someone post a link to the fitbit ultra, I looked it up on Amazon, just want to make sure I find the right one.
  • alkencka
    Options
    Look at the FitBit One or Zip, the Ultra is being phased out. The main difference is the new ones sync to your iPhone. It is really helpful, it motivates you and the support community is vast. It will track movements such as Running, Jogging & Walking.

If you do any exercises like spinning, weight lifting, the Fitbit doesn't do well. The website will allow you to enter in manual activities.

The other plus is the Zip site links with the MFP site.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    Look at the FitBit One or Zip, the Ultra is being phased out. The main difference is the new ones sync to your iPhone. It is really helpful, it motivates you and the support community is vast. It will track movements such as Running, Jogging & Walking.

If you do any exercises like spinning, weight lifting, the Fitbit doesn't do well. The website will allow you to enter in manual activities.

The other plus is the Zip site links with the MFP site.

I wouldn't use it for any exercise, I have a HRM for that, I want to use it for daily activity to see if my TDEE is calculated correctly and to see how much more I burn on days I'm not at my desk job. I will check out the two that you mentioned, thanks!
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Keep your HRM for proper exercise, but be rewarded for any additional walking you might do during the day. I am basically desk bound between 9am and 5pm but if I am able to get out and walk a bit, then the fitbit tracks that and MFP reflects the bonus calories burned.

There are two ways you can use it, set MFP to sedentry and then earn loads if you are active or set MFP to whatever you are (lightly active etc) and aim to earn no bonus points with fitbit (meaning you have MFP set correctly for your estimated activity level).

I think recent enhancements even penalise you if you don't do enough exercise...
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey friend, I have one and I've had it for a couple months or so. I really like it but I no longer sync it with MFP for several reasons. Mainly, I don't like how it alters my calorie intake based on how many steps it records. I much rather log my exercise myself, I think it's more accurate. It has to be either/or so you're not getting credit for exercise twice (since the Fitbit records steps if you walk, for example, then you wouldn't want to input that walk, also).

However, I sync it to the Fitbit site and I still wear it everyday because it gives me a good idea of whether I'm going to reach my goal everyday. I try to hit a minimum of 10,000 steps.

It reflects certain exercises but not others. For example, it doesn't records the stair stepper as flights of stairs walked (because you're elevation isn't really changing, per Fitbit). It does reflect treadmill activity, etc.

It's a neat little device and I use mine to get an idea of how imperative it is I get in more exercise on any given day. I don't sleep with mine on, though. I hope this helps.
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I've been wanting one for some months now... Hmm, I have an anniversary and Christmas coming up!!! I think I should go ahead and let my sweety know what I want!!!!
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    If u do your research...its actually VERY ACCURATE and it tracks all movement and steps :)
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine over the weekend after several months of debating & researching on whether to get one. I knew it would help me with my weight loss goals overall & help me maintain in the end.
    so far, I really LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
    I love MyFitnessPal too & owe my success to it, but this little device is really helpful with all the charts & everything it gives you on the FitBit site. it definitely motivates you to MOVE & BE better than YESTERDAY.
    its great!
    I have synced MFP & Fitbit & I am continuing to log everything thru MFP as it said to. So far so good.
    Although, I am aware of some of the issues FitBit users are having with the "new" way that the two sync together now. So far, I haven't encountered any problems.... yet. haha
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I pre ordered the new fitbit one. You guys are making me very excited to get it!