When should I take a Break???

Options
I have read in several places that you should take a break from dieting about every 8 weeks or so, to reset your metabolism or break up the monotony or whatever. By "take a break" these sources I read from meant to eat at maintenance level.
Do you guys do this or do you just keep hammering away? Or should I only take a break when I hit a long plateau or whatever?
I'm about 8 weeks into this and I don't really feel like I need a break, BUT I just got to where I am losing after letting my body adjust to upping my calories. I'm not about to take a break just yet.....

Replies

• SUSIE2662
    Options
    I never took a break but I guess it might depend on what diet you are doing.
    I just stuck to healthy low fat eating & eating within my calorie allowance on the Rosemary Conley Plan. I lost 4 stone (56lbs) in 12 mths through diet & exercise.
    As you loose the weight, you will need to adjust your calorie allowance so that you still loose
    There will always be occasions where you cannot 'stick' to your plan, birithday's holiday's etc, so just use those occsions to take the break.
    good luck
  • Amb_er100
    Amb_er100 Posts: 104
    Options
    I think everybody should learn how to eat with mfp.Nobody says that you have to wait 8 weeks more or less weeks.It's a matter of you and your body.For me it would be impossible to stay away from something i really like for 1 week,just think about 8!!! You gotta find what better for you,remember that you can always exercise if you eat something ipercalorical!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I could see how that could make sense but I'm not going to do it. I'm going to continue to stay in calorie deficit until I reach a plateau and stay there for at least 4 weeks. So far that hasn't happened. The most I've stayed at the same weight was for 2 weeks. I'll be completely honest, If and/or when I reach a plateau and stay there for 4 consecutive weeks after the 4th week of plateauing I'm gonna eat crappy. I'm going to eat way over my calories and there is a possibility I could gain weight that week. I will continue exercising but I figure I'll send my body into shock with the food it's receiving. Then after a week I'll continue to eat normally. I know that may not be the best way to do things but it's something I am going to do. And to be honest just thinking about eating crappy for a week kind of makes me feel nauseated. I know I'll feel the effects of eating like crap. That will be my week break from eating like a normal person... lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just keep hammering away.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I could see how that could make sense but I'm not going to do it. I'm going to continue to stay in calorie deficit until I reach a plateau and stay there for at least 4 weeks.
    Makes sense to me. I was stuck at 222 for right at 4 weeks after upping my calories, then I dropped 2 pounds. So we are thinking along the same lines (about a month). Other than that, I hadn't planned on taking a break, I was looking for some feedback as to whether or not you guys take a break.
    I appreciate the info.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't take a break, nor diet for that matter. Just adopt a healthy lifestyle you can live with (including good eating and physical activity), you'll loose weight without screwing you your metabolism.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I dont think one should take a break from their nutrition plan (a "cheat meal" or "cheat day" not withstanding). However, I think it's a good idea to take a week long break from exercising every once in a while to allow your muscles time to recouperate. Some say to do this once every 5 weeks. I take a week off after 10 weeks. To each their own.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Diet breaks =/= cheat meals or days.

I take breaks..and no it's not a break to binge. It's about 10-14 days of eating what I usually eat, but at slightly below maintenance. I do it mainly do it for psychological reason..

It also seems to be a "weight loss stall" breaker for me.

Here's great resource on full diet breaks: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It depends on the status of one's metabolism at baseline. That is to say whether a person began the diet by eating at true maintenance or during a chronic calorie deficit. The size of the deficit needs to be considered as well. If a person began when one's metabolic state was at maximal values, and they were assuming a moderate deficit - or deficit appropriate for their degree of fat mass - then they could assume said deficit for a longer period of time before need of a break. In terms of numbers, one has to look at the degree of change in RMR, leptin, cortisol, and other hormones from baseline to assessment date. Unfortunately, most people don't have their baseline stats to make a comparison so they have to simply go on progress in the way of continued weight loss and reduced girth measurements. The bottom line is this: the lower your RMR drops, there is increased risk of fat regain in the future. Thus, it is wise to take breaks to ensure one's RMR does not drop too low.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonlad's thought on the subject.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

With the adaptations of Leptin and Gherlin, there is a strong rationale to not just keep pounding away. (well, unless you have some kind of masochistic streak or something :wink: )