Chalean Extreme/ Turbofire.... to hybrid or not to hybrid?

Options
Hi all,

I just received Chalean Extreme and Turbofire on Friday with the intention of doing either the hybrid suggested in the book or the hybrid created by Chalean's sister. But I wanted some advice on whether or not this was the right move. I am about to finish Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and want to continue on my strength training journey. However, am I cheating myself by not trying each program as a stand alone OR is it smarter to do it as a hybrid? Has anyone done both as individual programs and then did the hybrid? Also, if you have done each separately, which would you recommend I do first with about 25 more lbs. to go? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Rinkydink84
    Options
    Anyone? I'm having the hardest time getting a response to this, even on the Beachbody site. Can anyone help me!?! :)
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I much prefer the strength training in Chalean Extreme and I'm currently doing my own CLX/Turbo Fire hybrid. So my vote would be to go hybrid.
  • Rinkydink84
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH!!!! I swapped out a Jillian cardio for Turbofire disc and it really kicked my butt. But I really want the strength training I have been getting with Jillian. The one reply I received on the Beachbody site suggested I do it separately first, then as a hybrid. I'm so impatient... I want the results from both at the same time. :) Thanks again!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you want to supplement TF with lifting just do actual weightlifting regimens. And no, I wouldn't call Jillian strength training. Actual strength training is something entirely different. Look into stronglifts or Starting Strength.
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide the same thing. Would you tell me where I can find information about the hybrid designed by Chalene's sister?

I'm definitely leaning toward some sort of hybrid but the one included with my Turbo Fire materials looks like it is designed to be started once one has completed a full round of TF. I'm impatient too and don't really want to wait to start focusing on more weight training.

Thanks!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 20 week hybrid in the back of the book (i'm on week 5) I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    The first 3 weeks start out fairly slow (recovery weeks) but with all the strength training, yoga & abs, it REALLY ups your endurance for when you hit week 4 and do a week of cardio.

I had great results after just 30 days (lost 8lbs).
    I'm mid week 5 now which put me back into the lifting heavy with fewer reps this month & it's already "working". I can see visible changes and my strength is awesome!

I highly recommend the hybrid of the two. I completed CLX on it's own but never completed TF (only went to week 5) because I felt like for me, it was TOO much cardio & I felt like I was becoming "skinny fat" and losing muscle.

I started the hybrid instead and I'm definitely not regretting that choice :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I started out with JMBR too and then moved onto CLX so hopefully my insight will help.

I also got TF at the same time as CLX with the intention of doing a hybrid but felt like it was taking up too much of my time. I only have about 45-60 minutes to work out each day. Plus Janelle's hybrid just felt too intense for me and I wanted to really focus on building muscle.

So, I did CLX by itself and then on my cardio days, I did one of Shaun T's Rockin' Body workouts. I also didn't take 2 days off for rest, just one.

I completed CLX and had excellent results....I seriously LOVED it! Built a lot of new muscle but unfortunately still have some fat to lose so I'm back to another round of JMBR to help strip some of this fat off.

Then I'll do another round of CLX and maybe do a hybrid at that point.

Wishing you the best of luck! You'll love the CLX program!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I started out with JMBR too and then moved onto CLX so hopefully my insight will help.

I also got TF at the same time as CLX with the intention of doing a hybrid but felt like it was taking up too much of my time. I only have about 45-60 minutes to work out each day. Plus Janelle's hybrid just felt too intense for me and I wanted to really focus on building muscle.

So, I did CLX by itself and then on my cardio days, I did one of Shaun T's Rockin' Body workouts. I also didn't take 2 days off for rest, just one.

I completed CLX and had excellent results....I seriously LOVED it! Built a lot of new muscle but unfortunately still have some fat to lose so I'm back to another round of JMBR to help strip some of this fat off.

Then I'll do another round of CLX and maybe do a hybrid at that point.

Wishing you the best of luck! You'll love the CLX program!

you should try the 20 week hybrid in the back of the book. It's less intense than Janelle's. Most work outs are about 45-60 minutes a day, sometimes less. It's totally do-able and i'm getting great results!!!
  • Rinkydink84
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. I don't understand why someone wouldn't consider Jillian strength training. I have seen a major difference in my muscle definition, strength, and endurance by using this program. Could someone explain why it's not considered strength? I thought any program that was used to build muscle (especially using weights or resistance) was considered strength. Either way, I hope y'all understood what I meant and what I am trying to achieve. THANKS AGAIN! I guess I will try the 20 week hybrid so that I can build muscle and burn fat.
  • Rinkydink84
    Options
    @jahardin: I just googled..... CLX/Turbofire hybrid by Janelle Summers. There are a bunch of links. Apparently it was only meant for Beachbody coaches, but with the wonder of the internet, it quickly got around.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. I don't understand why someone wouldn't consider Jillian strength training. I have seen a major difference in my muscle definition, strength, and endurance by using this program. Could someone explain why it's not considered strength? I thought any program that was used to build muscle (especially using weights or resistance) was considered strength. Either way, I hope y'all understood what I meant and what I am trying to achieve. THANKS AGAIN! I guess I will try the 20 week hybrid so that I can build muscle and burn fat.

Uhm...you will see why once you start with Chalene Xtreme.... Jillian do a million quick reps with smaller weights - good for endurance and "toning", but absolutely not building any muscle with that....

Once you get to the push month in CX, you do 6-8 reps with the heaviest weights you can (or have...I do one legged deadlifts with 2x 35lbs dumbells...Hope to move up to 40lbs in a couple of weeks...After that I'll need more dumbels! :drinker: Not something I have done in any of JM's workouts...
    I do CX - weight circuit 3 x a week and her cardio/abs dvds two days a week if I'm not running, not sure why you need other cardio?
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Strength and endurance are two different areas of muscle performance. Pure strength is the ability to move a LOT of weight. Doesn't matter if you can only do it once. Endurance is the ability to move weight a lot of times and/or for a long period of time.

I only know 30DS for Jillian's, but it looks like her "strength" workouts aren't very hardcore strength. You use very light weights. That right there goes against building your ability to move heavy weights. If you are very out of shape, then Jillian's workouts will improve strength, but it can only carry you so far. Eventually you will need to lift heavier.

The key is going heavy, heavy, heavy (while maintaining proper form to prevent injury, of course). This is why people looking to improve strength only do 5 or even less reps per set; the weight they lift is so heavy, they can't crank out more than 5 reps in a row.
  • Rinkydink84
    Options
    Hmmm... thanks for the clarification. I definitely see the difference now. This is the beginning of what I hope to be a lifelong journey. Before this, I thought doing the elliptical for an hour was sufficient for my exercise needs. This endurance/strength training addition is very new to me and I'm learning as I go along. I thought they were both strength training, but would just acheive different results. I heard heavy lifting will make you a bit bulkier than lighter weights with a lot of reps. However, although I see a big difference between Jillian and Chalene's bodies, I don't consider Chalene to be bulky. She's definitely more buff though. Thanks again for clearing that up for me!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Have fun - I love weights and the Chalene Xtreme set and my powerblocks was one of the best fitness investments I've ever made!

Just one other thing - weights will not make you bulky...It is utter BS - females do not have enough testosterone to bulk up.....I've lost almost 60lbs by purely running and doing a Jillian Michaels - 30 day shred, no more trouble zones and more....Ended up within 10lbs of my goal weight - fit, but flabby as can be...(Still 29% bf)

I started lifting heavy weights and mixed it up with CX for variety - and hit perimenopause roundabout the same time...I weigh 8lbs heavier than last year this time, but wear a size smaller levi jeans and two sizes smaller tops....(my fat is all in my butt and legs....) The difference is shape is incredible - almost no flabby arms, nice back and waist and even my thighs have shape instead of being two blobs..... And I'm down to 24.5% bf ....
  • traubadora
    Options
    I started with the 5 months of Turbofire, and I wore a body bugg--so I can tell you, it really burns calories! I had no problems losing weight while I did the Turbofire. Then, I purchased the Chalean Extreme with the intention of doing the hybrid; however, one week in I sprained my ankle. After a week off, I was able to do the Extreme, but I couldn't really do the Turbofire (leaping was out). I went ahead and followed the Extreme program, modifying the two cardio workouts each week.

So. I didn't lose weight during Extreme, but I lost some serious inches. I also used those crazy plastic callipers that are supposed to tell you your percentage of bodyfat, both before and after Extreme, and according to them I lost 9% body fat. Now, I'm not sure how accurate the callipers are, but I can tell by how I look and feel that things are significantly better.

I just finished the Extreme program, so now I am starting the hybrid. Good luck! I think you will have good results no matter how you choose to mix it up, as long as you dig in!

**The fat callipers come with the Chalean Extreme.
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @jahardin: I just googled..... CLX/Turbofire hybrid by Janelle Summers. There are a bunch of links. Apparently it was only meant for Beachbody coaches, but with the wonder of the internet, it quickly got around.

Hey, thanks for this information. I googled it and found the hybrid. For the moment, I'm just adding a couple of of Turbo Fire HIITs and cardio in place of one CLX rest day and the Burn it Off CLX cardio (I don't care for that workout much).

Best,
    Jennifer