5'8 girls

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'8" and 28 years old. My highest weight was 190 in high school and I was a US size 14/16. My SW for MFP was 175lbs in May and I was a tight 12. I'm now 156lbs and between a size 8 and 10. My goal weight is 145lbs. I still can't believe it's only 11lbs away. I'm pretty happy with my body now though. I don't feel like someone could look at me and think "she's fat" and I feel good about what I see in the mirror.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9" and weigh 137. I usually wear a U.S. size 6, though occasionally 4's and sometimes 8's.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I fluxuate between 125-130...I think that it's a great place to be, though I wouldn't go any lower than 125. :wink:
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" :) I started at 199 and have just reached 165 (1 pound away from a 'healthy' weight) At 165 I still have plenty to lose. I look okay, but definitely not "skinny" My goal weight is 145. I have a friend who is 5'8"-5'9" and weighs about 140 and she looks good. Not TOO skinny. I have never been skinny, so I don't even know what I would look like. I would say 164 is a good first goal for you, then you can work from there. Good luck!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'8"; I weighed 130-132 at your age, looked slim, and that was with about 20% bodyfat. I have small-to-medium size frame, so you may be different. In my forties now, my goal weight is 140. However, I've been enjoying the weightlifting I've been doing, so I'd be happy with a higher weight as long as my bodyfat level is reasonable!
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I my goal is to be around 132.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with a huge frame and lots of muscle under all this fat. My goal is 180 lbs. and I think I'll look great! I started at 330 lbs. so that's 150 lbs. off.

I'm pretty sure my bodyfat will be pretty low by then. Not Michael Jordan low but I will definitely not be flabby.
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    The best bet is for you to calculate your body fat % and then set a goal weight from there. You can find online calculators, use a handheld device to measure bf%, you can see if your gym has calipers or check with your local hospital or university offers free or inexpensive bf testing.

I'm 5'8, weigh 176 and just started wearing 10s. My goal is 165. I have LBM (lean body mass) of about 128 pounds, so if I weighed 125 I would be dead or severely malnourished and have lost a considerable amount of muscle mass. So it is different for everyone. I am at an "acceptable" body fat %, but I'm still considered overweight and have an overweight BMI, according to the charts. This said, I don't want anyone to think that "I'm big boned" or "large frame" is a reason for any woman to give for being severely overweight and unhealthy! The main thing is to know YOUR body and what is healthy for you. I'm quiet muscular, so I don't fit into the typical mold for a 5'8 woman, but I'm a healthy ME.

You can't go on weight and BMI alone as there are many other variables. Of course, this image below is an extreme illustration, just to make a point. But look at my numbers compared to some of the other responses on here or the ones you will get.

bmi-comparison.gif

I agree completely that there are so many variables to consider other than just scale weight and BMI. I'm 5'8", 40 years old, final goals of 165 lbs (current 177 lbs). My LBM is 129 lbs and I'm aiming for about 25% body fat which is right in between athletic and acceptable. Oh and I'd love to be wearing US size 8's/10's (right now I'm in size10's/12's).
  • kianarae20
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and I weigh about 150. I wear a US size 5 or 7. Trust me anything below 135 is going to make you look too thin. I weighed 125 about 3 years back and looking at those pictures now, I just appeared emaciated and unhealthy.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ideally, it's 125 possibly even 115.
    but realistically, im shooting for 140.
    anything below that will just be (fat-free) icing on the (low-calorie) cake.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and I weigh 140pounds and wear a UK 8.. I have weighed 129 and even on my slightly shorter height I looked too thin
    Also my goal weight is 133p or 135 toned ..currently I cannot do high impact workouts because of a hairline fracture in my ankle .
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The best bet is for you to calculate your body fat % and then set a goal weight from there. You can find online calculators, use a handheld device to measure bf%, you can see if your gym has calipers or check with your local hospital or university offers free or inexpensive bf testing.

I'm 5'8, weigh 176 and just started wearing 10s. My goal is 165. I have LBM (lean body mass) of about 128 pounds, so if I weighed 125 I would be dead or severely malnourished and have lost a considerable amount of muscle mass. So it is different for everyone. I am at an "acceptable" body fat %, but I'm still considered overweight and have an overweight BMI, according to the charts. This said, I don't want anyone to think that "I'm big boned" or "large frame" is a reason for any woman to give for being severely overweight and unhealthy! The main thing is to know YOUR body and what is healthy for you. I'm quiet muscular, so I don't fit into the typical mold for a 5'8 woman, but I'm a healthy ME.

You can't go on weight and BMI alone as there are many other variables. Of course, this image below is an extreme illustration, just to make a point. But look at my numbers compared to some of the other responses on here or the ones you will get.

bmi-comparison.gif

I used http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/ to check my healthy weight range and it's FAR above what I thought I could achieve without losing muscle. The case may be the same for you - I've never seen it presented this way and when I read the info in the quote above I thought it a good idea to figure it out for myself THIS way. Amazing. It definitely changes what I'm working toward. Thanks to the lady who wrote that post! :)
  • jeanellsunshine
    jeanellsunshine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm currently a US size 22. My goal weight is 160 pounds. According to the Center for Diseease Control and Prevention, a woman who is 5'8" should weigh between 122 and 164 pounds and their BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9. Your goal weight is low, but it is in the range of CDC's recommendation. Personally, if I was you, I would aim towards 135-140 pounds.

You know your body better than all of us. Find a size and weight that you will be able to keep up long-term, and makes you healthy and comfortable in your own skin.
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    I am 5'9 and it said that i should weight 125-140. But i have a large frame and i have never been skinny and to me, that would make me lose my curves that i love! So i am going for 160 or around there. I really don't care about the number as long as i look good and feel good!
  • les2788
    les2788 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 with a large built the lowest I've ever been in my adult life is 170 and didn't feel like I looked over weight at all but my goal weight is 150. I would never go lower then that I think I'd look way to thin but everyones built on there body is different. Some people would never guess right now that I'm at 182 but that is because I carry my weight well being tall is an advantage =)
  • Blndie4242
    Options
    I'm 5'8 (low side) and currently 172, goal weight is 155-160, any lower and I start looking sickly....I am between medium and large boned, but have larger breasts (that attribute to the weight). I was 155-160 around my wedding/honeymoon and I loved the way I looked and I fit mostly in a size US 8, sometimes US 10. I was 145 in high school and when I saw some people at the 155-160 weight they said how great I looked and how I looked too thin...It really is all about your body type, I think below 155, my hip bones start jutting out and stuff. I do know some girls at the same height that look great at the 130-140 range but it's because they have a small frame and can pull it off without looking sickly.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    im 5'8 and my highest was about 178lbs, i lost a lot without dieting or any exercise (so stupid i didnt work out) and got down to 132lbs. BUT my bf% is pretty high, and im trying to get toned and to get rid of flabby arms/belly/hips/thighs and may be losing a bit more...
    dont make it all about your BMI, because every bodybuilder would be overweight and I may be underweight with a good bf%. its not just one factor that counts!
  • VeeSecrets
    VeeSecrets Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 n I started at 247lbs my goal weight is 160lbs then I wanna c if I can maintain that weight for a while
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow Ya'll!!! I'm 5'8" & my goal is 175. A strong, firm 175!!! I"m 200 now.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm 5 ft8" and I think I would be a good uk 12, maybe even a 10 in some shops at 12 stones, 168lbs. Yes I think 120 something is way too low!

Good luck, but stay healthy, x