Why cant i loose weight?

Options
Hello

I'm Female. 35 yrs. 5ft 3in. 160lbs. BMI 28.36.
I keep an average 1200 calorie a day diet. (more like, Sun-Thu 900 cal, Fri-Sat 2000 cals for those extra tipples)
Exercise classes (two classes a day for four days) 45 mins each: 2 x Body Combat, 2 x Body Pump, 3 x Yoga/Pilates/Balance, 1 x Spin burning approx 600-800 to 1000 cals.

At the moment i add the cals i have burnt during exercise to my food calories (so i eat a bit more). Should i be ignoring the exercise cals and not take any into account?

Confused!

Replies

• vickieblair
    vickieblair Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Still too new to answer your question, but there are many who will help. But you may want to open your food journal so they can see what you have been eating as well. Good luck!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hello

I keep an average 1200 calorie a day diet. (more like, Sun-Thu 900 cal, Fri-Sat 2000 cals for those extra tipples)
    Exercise classes (two classes a day for four days) 45 mins each: 2 x Body Combat, 2 x Body Pump, 3 x Yoga/Pilates/Balance, 1 x Spin burning approx 600-800 to 1000 cals.

At the moment i add the cals i have burnt during exercise to my food calories (so i eat a bit more). Should i be ignoring the exercise cals and not take any into account?
    Confused!

Are you still hungry if you don't eat back the exercise cals? Maybe try only eating back half or so if you aren't hungry. Also, try some weight lifting as well. Open your diary so people can see what you eat, that could be a problem too. 1200 cals of twinkies isn't going to be the same to your body as 1200 of chicken and beans.

Also you may be having trouble if you are trying to loose weight, you should want to lose weight instead. ;)
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    I love body combat - I am taking it three days a week - except for this small set back this week - spraine my knee. I was actually having the same issue'a had been mornitoring calories, and and such but the scale was flutuating between the same three lbs for like 4 weeks. I think sometimes your body just needs to catch up to the changes you are making. I am starting to see the weight loss now. I try not to eat back the calories I burn from excersise...but I go a little over the 1200 on the weekends, and the days I take body combat I add some additional protein. I know its working cause I am losing inch's - lost a ince on both of my arms already. Keep at it your body wwill catch up! If you want you can friend me as a fellow body combat enthusiest! I did body pum two weeks ago and paid for three days - but plan to try and start adding that into the rotation in a couple weeks after my knee heels up.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My guess is that a little more time paying attention to detail will get you results.
  • graceinva
    graceinva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    something that helps me is "Food Combining."
    Suzanne Sommers (yup, from the old sitcpm)
    did a series of books and she called it "Somersizing."
    a basic move is to eat fruit ALONE- and keep to 1-2 servings.
    Eat whole wheat- and limit carbs to "Good" ones.

You can read more: http://voices.yahoo.com/what-everyone-know-somersizing-229246.html?cat=51

There are other books on it, but her way was FAIRLY easy to follow.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I'm no expert, but maybe try eating only 1/2 of your exercise calories back. I'm not sure what body combat or body pump are, but if you aren't already doing strength training, I'd swap out some of the cardio for that. Also, be patient. How long have you been at this? If this is all very new to you, it may take some time to see results.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's probable that you are not eating enough.

Your BMR according to my calculations is 1482. Your TDEE for a sedentary lifestyle is 1778 calories - you need to eat somewhere in the middle of this.

So if you were just in bed all day doing NOTHING (or a coma), your body would be burning 1482 calories and by doing day to day things like getting up and eating your food, your body burns 1778 calories.

Around 1500-1600 a day is probably a better goal, rather slow and steady than putting such severe stress on your body.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts.

First thing I'd do is make sure im measuring my weigth properly, weigh yourself at the same time of the day on the same scale, make sure the scale works properly.

I would also make sure I'm assesing my calorie intake correctly. I use measuring cups and spoons and sometimes weigh my food. I also try to count everything I eat, even if it is a bite of an apple my kids didn't eat.

How long have you been trying to loose weight? Weight loss is not linear. Plateaus happen. Weight in women tends to vary a lot more than it does with men.

Are you hydrating properly and not overdoing the sodium? Sometimes weight is not fat but water.

Hope this helps!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I'd say open up your diary so people can see your nutrition and give better feedback.
  • hmatchison
    hmatchison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I had this same problem until a couple of months ago.

Do continue to weigh yourself once a week on the same day at the same time. I know this is TMI, but I weigh on Friday mornings after I use the restroom before I do anything else in only my bra and panties.

I started jillian michaels back in July and instantly started losing weight. It wasn't necessarily because I was working out more, but because of the knowledge I gained. Absolutely do NOT eat less than 1200 calories. You are just telling your body you are starving it. DO have one higher calorie day a week but don't go crazy!

Keep measuring and sticking with it. It's tough. I've been on this journey for over a year, almost two now and I'm still not there. The important part is that you do it correctly and you learn to maintain it.
  • chewy4722
    Options
    What happens if i've already eaten all my protien 25 for day and I didn't even eat dinner yet? So all I can have for dinner is vegs?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    What happens if i've already eaten all my protien 25 for day and I didn't even eat dinner yet? So all I can have for dinner is vegs?

exactly.
  • Skittlez_
    Options

exactly.

and tacos.
  • JohnnyOrlando
    Options
    I am betting that you are not eating enough at the right times.

Try eating five 300 cal meals per day on the days you work out and four on the days you dont for two weeks.

What is the worst that can happen? You gain a pound or two? The best? You lose a few and figure out the issue.

JMO.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious, but 25 grams of protein in a day isn't too much or even enough. I have 25 grams before I even wake up in the morning. My protein goal is like 195 grams.
  • MakeYourOwnFate
    Options
    More than likely, with all the calories you're burning, you're not eating enough. Even if you don't feel hungry you need to fuel your body so it can keep up maintaining and repairing muscles, and to also give it adequate nutrients for other things too. 1,200 is the guideline for the LOWEST calorie that should be consumed - period. However, the majority of people need more, especially with exercise. Boost yourself up to around 1,500 with all the activities you're doing. And I promise you won't gain. In fact, you'll probably lose quicker and feel more energized. Hope this helps!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hello

Confused!

although you are eating the 900-1200 calories, WHAT ayou are eating ism MUY IMPORTANTE..... there are certain foods that promote fat loss, like vegetables and protein.... so try an reanalyze what you are eating.... make sure you are eating HEALTHY foods, and not just staying withiin ur caloric intake.... You can also try Clean Eating... its eating only veges, fruits, proteins.... NO processed foods, no sodas, juices etc.. that could probably help... All the best :)
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Eat more, and eat consistent (meaning the same amount of calories every day, this includes the weekends).

I use to eat the same way. I would eat very little all week and splurge a little on the weekends. I lost weight consistently for three months, and then I plateaued for three months and then started to gain weight.

Once I started eating more (healthy, clean foods) and was eating around 1600-1700 every day, I started to lose weight again.

Good luck!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert....like most other people on this site. But I've definitely struggled along with it! SO, without much more background on you or your situation, I can ask a few questions that might get to the point -

How diligent are you with your foods? Are you weighing, measuring everything and REALLY making sure your calories are correct?

Do you drink all of your water every day?

Are you eating a lot of processed foods, sugars, alcohol?

You definitely should be eating at least 1200 calories (good quality calories) every day. 900 is not enough to fuel you.

Try eating those 1200 calories per day, and add some weight training into your routine. Mix it up a little and see what your body responds to. We're all different and our processes aren't all the same!
  • luckylissette
    luckylissette Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    something that helps me is "Food Combining."
    Suzanne Sommers (yup, from the old sitcpm)
    did a series of books and she called it "Somersizing."
    a basic move is to eat fruit ALONE- and keep to 1-2 servings.
    Eat whole wheat- and limit carbs to "Good" ones.

You can read more: http://voices.yahoo.com/what-everyone-know-somersizing-229246.html?cat=51

There are other books on it, but her way was FAIRLY easy to follow.

To expand on that, if you eat carbs, make sure they're full of fiber (ex: whole wheat pasta instead of regular white pasta), and also combine them with a protein. There's something about combining the two and how the nutrients are absorbed into the body that makes it better to combine then to eat only carbs.

Also more water than anything. Include at least 2-3 servings of low fat dairy a day, like fat free yogurts or what I do is I have a low fat string cheese for a snack.