When Do You Take a Break?

Options
Just wanted to toss this one out there. I've been active on MFP since early this year and I've lost a little over 40 pounds. I have been losing very slowly and steadily for 10 months now.

I'm eating 1400 calories a day (give or take) and I work out 3-6 times a week, usually pretty intensely.

This last few weeks have been filled with general life craziness and I am just not as focused as I was at the start. I'm not losing at all, but honestly, I am not being the stickler that I need to be to make that happen. Sometimes I miss my workouts, sometimes I blow my calories. It's a variety of things.. I still have 10-15 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight.

So, I'm wondering.. Is it time to take a break? work on maintenance for a while, and then go back to lose my final pounds after the new year starts?

Anyone been through this? have advice? thoughts?

ohhh, and btw...

If i choose NOT to wait until after the holidays to finish this goal, I KNOW I will have to hit it hard. For me, it is going to come down to minimizing the carbs in my diet and I'm soooo not looking forward to that.

Replies

• MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a break technically right now from exercising because I have a lot of stress going on.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If you are just burned out, take a break. nothing worse than forcing it intil you snap.

if you have time and arent burned out, do the best you can.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    If you are just burned out, take a break. nothing worse than forcing it intil you snap.

if you have time and arent burned out, do the best you can.

Makes sense, guess that is what I must decide...
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Focus on maintenance for a while, but give yourself a restart date. If you take a break without a defined restart date it makes getting back into the routine hard. The other thing is to make sure you are working on maintenance. To many people take a break back to old habits.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Focus on maintenance for a while, but give yourself a restart date. If you take a break without a defined restart date it makes getting back into the routine hard. The other thing is to make sure you are working on maintenance. To many people take a break back to old habits.
    Yes, I agree! the re-start date is a MUST! thanks!
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your perspective is a little off. You are a real superstar! 40 pounds is amazing! I'm struggling so hard for each half pound.

It's reasonable that you feel a little burned out since you've obviously been working so hard. Maybe just ease off one day a week instead of a full break?