Struggling to progress with C25K?

Options
I've currently completed week 1 of C25K twice , and I honestly feel that I'm still not ready to progress to week 2, but I'm beginning to lose motivation with it to the point where I've not ran in a week, I want to be good at it but I dont feel like I'm progressing at all and I'm struggling to want to go out for my runs when I'm still stuck at the same point :( Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Replies

• StrongM0mma
    Options
    I was just thinking about this last night, actually.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to progress to week 2 yet either, but I'm going to give it a shot. If I bottom out, then I'll go back to Week 1 and up my strength training to see if that helps. What matters is that you get out there and run, less about progressing as fast as you think you "should."

Good luck!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K once before and couldn't get past week 2. I haven't done it in about 5 months now. I should have kept at it instead of giving up. Just think where I might be today if 5 months ago I would have just kept pushing myself? Try to stick with it and see where you get. Even if you have to do week 1 again and again you WILL make progress. This journey takes time. :flowerforyou:
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You may be trying to run too fast; start the long runs in week two a bit slower and they'll be easier. People say it doesn't matter how slow you run as long as you keep going for the full time. I just did W5D2 and it only feels like a few runs ago that I was struggling with a 90 second run.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The biggest things I learned i the C25K are:

1) You are capable of more than you realize

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had tried the C25k and C210k programs before and never progressed much. After starting a workout program in July that alternates cardio and sculpting (Power 90), I was able to start the C25k and am now getting ready to start Week6. I think having built up some endurance with other cardio exercises helped me get past my former road blocks.

I am still apprehensive about my run tonight though, running for 10 minutes is daunting!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I did week one for about 3 weeks, tried week 2 and could not finish. So I was wondering the same thing. Do you just carry on with week one until yo are ready or continue onto week 2 and keep trying until you manage it? Everyone else I know who have done C25K gave me the impression that they sailed through it week by week :(
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible time with C25k. I found another app that I LOVE and am progressing pretty easily. I like it so much better

Its called 5k101.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You may be trying to run too fast; start the long runs in week two a bit slower and they'll be easier. People say it doesn't matter how slow you run as long as you keep going for the full time. I just did W5D2 and it only feels like a few runs ago that I was struggling with a 90 second run.

This! Run slower! Speed comes later. Also the better the music on your ipod the easier I find it is. I run on the treadmill at my gym and when the show WipeOut is on I can run twice as far as when I'm watching the news or something. Crazy.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree with the running too fast! A lot of people do that. If you can run slower you're running too fast - you should be able to talk while running. Maybe not recite the pledge of allegiance in one breath but you should be able to go back and forth with someone without feeling like you're going to pass out from no air.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Is the problem getting through a BODY thing or a breathing thing?

My problem, when it came to running, was ALWAYS my breathing. No matter what I did, I always seemed like I couldnt breathe after only jogging for a really short time. I have sense got my Cardio up a bit from my other workouts and was actually able to jog about a quarter mile a few weeks ago and shocked myself. But, my main thing was that I controled my breathing.

Figure out why you are having a hard time getting through it and start from there. Maybe do some other cardio exercises to get used to it then get back into it. If it is a body thing, see what else you could do to get past it. And remember, our minds give up long before our bodies do. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Just keep going. Remember, it is a jog, not a sprint. Go at a pace that you can go at. And as someone above mentioned, it is definitely a head game too. Sometimes I just get in my own head and say f-you, I am not stopping. Mind over matter, that sort of thing. :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    What part of you shuts you down? Your lungs or your legs?

If your lungs are giving out, continue with week one until you feel ready to tackle week 2.
    If it's your legs that give out first, definitely slow your pace.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I had to make up my own variation of C25K when I first started running because I could not follow the program as it was designed. I got stuck running 2 1/2 minute intervals for weeks...I just could not get past it physically...but I finally did. That was more than 1 1/2 years ago.

You can do things your own way. It's ok to run slower, repeat days/weeks as needed, etc. It's ok to walk more than recommended, if you need to, just keep making the effort and you'll get there. Look up the Jeff Galloway training method for more motivation.

Sometimes running with a friend, or running with motivational music can help.

Good luck!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I got about it halfway through C25K before i had decided to do something else. I have ran five 5ks between June and the end of Sept. What i did was i started to run during longer songs and walk, but then i started to just push and make myself run the entire time. I can run about 4 to 6 miles when I really push it as of right now. Sadly though with colder weather and the sports season picking up, i have had a hard time finding time to run (I'm also a SAHM and a full time student along with being a wife) but i have kicked up the strength training and dancing and am hoping to find a running group in my area or go to the rec center to run on their track.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Hey, you are doing a lot better than me, I still haven't gotten myself to start the darn thing. And I have been saying I am going to do it for months now.
    So be proud of yourself. And take the tips everyone is giving you to keep going.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Running is a mental game. You can physically train your body to run the miles, but you also have to mentally train your brain.

Here are a few ideas, but remember running is not a one size fits all.

1) new music track
    2) new running route
    3) run with a partner - my favorite
    4) get a new running outfit and/or shoes
    5) sign up for a race

Get some inspiration. I will tell you the short version of my story...

20 year old weighing 220lbs. Couldn't run a block. Tried and tried and never gave up. At the age of 27 completed my first marathon. On Sunday I completed my second marathon and I'm not giving up ever!
  • mcapone67
    mcapone67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't give up -I just completed Week 4 and entiring into week 5. When I was in HS and College I ran about 5 miles a day. But for the last 20-25 yrs the only running I have done, was to chase after the kids, dogs or ice cream truck. But I decided that I was going to do a 5K in 2013, so I signed up for one and began training. Stick with it and follow the directions from the program, I was able to run for a total of 16 minutes out of 32 last night and I would not have believe it before starting this. Add me as a friend and I will keep you motivated.:smile:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to

This. I find my legs are telling me to quit, but I've plenty of wind left.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

THIS
  • audreykts
    audreykts Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I never got past week 3 with c25k so I tried a new program called 5k101. I am currently on week 5 and going strong!