Nutrition / tips for splitting nails

Options
Hi!

I've got awful nails, my fingernails split and peel and I've had enough!

I've tried no varnish, varnish with base and top coats, special glass nail file all sorts!
I think my diet's pretty good in terms of nutrients etc...

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin supplements and I noticed stronger, longer nails as well as hair.
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    my nails and hair too, improved no end when I added nuts and seeds to my diet.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Biotin supplements!!! GNC, walgreens, CVS all should carry the supplements pills. Great for skin, nails and hair!!!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I started taking fish oil/cod liver oil and now my nails shine! You should give it a try, it's inexpensive too.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You are most likely deficient in Biotin if you are having issues with weak nails (though there could be other causes as well). If that is the case, however, try making sure you are eating foods rich in Biotin.

Onions, cucumbers, cauliflower, almonds, carrots, walnuts, halibut, eggs, berries, and even more!

Edit: If you are going to resort to taking supplements at least do yourself a favor and take a liquid supplement (over tablets), though foods are going to be the ideal way to go...
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil, liquid (lemon flavored) and I take iron supplements. My nails are strong and healthy.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I agree with these ladies here, biotin, fish oil, even vitamin D. But what really made the difference was a solid healthy diet.

(Nails will grow faster if you push the cuticles back with an orange stick after soaking them or while in the shower.)

My nails were terrible before I made all of these changes.

Good luck!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and ive noticed my hair and nails are alot stronger.
  • alourdes_J
    alourdes_J Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Biotion and msm work wonders for nails
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, Vitamin B and fish oil, but my nails were still a mess until I added in calcium. If you don't eat a lot of dairy, that could be the missing link. (I have an allergy and can't get my calcium through dairy products.)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was a nail tech student (until my stupid school discontinued the program) and we were never taught of any specific food to improve nail condition. I do sometimes get splits at the nail bed, and often below it (ouch!). Anyway, the only recommendations that I learned were to moisturize: put cuticle oil (can be found at Sally's or Ulta) around the nail on the "cuticle" as often as possible and keep moisturizer on your hands. I lotion up after every hand-washing. Another option, if you're not opposed to it, is to get acrylic or gel overlays. That is basically the same stuff they make false nails with but they only put a layer on your real nail, like a protective layer.

A split does not have to mean a complete break though. Splits can be repaired; you can get kits for that purpose or you can just use a teabag. Youtube has loads of videos on nail repair; misschievous has a good one that shows the teabag use.

I have had long nails since I was in 2nd grade or so. One of my profile pics is of a manicure I did on myself.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Bump.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus works amazingly well. Can find it at most drug stores.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend biotin.
    Especially if you try a formula that has also zinc/magnesium/B type vitamins like B6 and B12.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend biotin.
    Especially if you try a formula that has also zinc/magnesium/B type vitamins like B6 and B12.

This is probably the best answer I've seen on here as yet. I just googled for a product that has all that was suggested in the above post and found 1 called Alive by Nature's Way. I'm sure you can find this at one of your local pharmacies or health food markets. I've seen it at Whole Foods but can probably get it from Amazon, Vitamin Shoppe or GNC etc... I'm gonna try this one MYSELF! Thanks for the question the sugggestions of answers.
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow fantastic responses :heart: Thank You!

I'll have a look into the Biotin, My diet's pretty balanced but due to a dietary intolerance I avoid too many nuts which I know would help.

I did think about the gel overlays but I've heard that if you stop having those on your nails are weaker without it?
    Plus I'd much rather do something "natural" :smile:

I think plan of action is get more regular with the oil/moisturiser & look into supplement.

Thanks guys x
  • shrikester
    shrikester Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, just another tip, which really works for me and my friends. My nails are strong naturally, but at times I feel that they need a bit of treatment. I slice lemon and put my nails in each slice and hold them there (eg. whilst watching a film). I just pat dry them and if I do it for 3 days they become shiny, strong and nice pale colour again.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Ditto. I take biotin supplements as well, as I also have issues with slow hair growth.

Some tips with the biotin: biotin is what your body naturally produces to promote healthy hair and nails, but if you take supplements it is important to take it with another B vitaimn (B12 and B Complex seem to the most suggested) or with a hair, nail and skin supplement - that is what I do.

You don't have to worry about toxicity, as biotin has no toxicity level, as your body will naturally get rid of what it doesn't need through urination.

Since I have take my biotin and supplement together, I have definitely noticed a big difference in my nails. They grow faster and are much harder/less brittle - but I do keep them up at least once a week (file, buff, poilsh, etc).

Also, make sure you get yours from a reputable source, if you are in the UK Holland and Barrett are great.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ah, you're in England!

Get down to Lush, and buy a tub of Lemony Flutter. Massage it into your nalis a couple of times a day (great on elbows and knees too). I keep a tub on my desk at work, it lasts for ages too!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus works amazingly well. Can find it at most drug stores.

i love that stuff! its expensive in the uk, but worth every penny as i can totally tell the difference when i dont use it regularly!