Not feeling full on fruits....

Options
Is it just me or do some feel the same way? I can eat fruits for snacks all day and still feel hungry.

Replies

• SabrinaLily
    Options
    Agreed. I don't get full on those or veggies as snacks, perhaps because they're so water-based. I just posted for another thread what I do for snacks instead. Lemme see if I can find it and I'll copy and paste it. BRB :)
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Well, I dunno if what I do will work for you but I find I like something more substantial than just fruits or veggies. Maybe this will help?

In the morning I make an egg-white patty and a slice or two of (real) bacon. I have that to eat between breakfast and lunch. They say protein and fat is what fills you up longer. The patty is about 50 calories and each slice of bacon between 40-45.

After lunch and before I leave work I get UBER hungry. There's NO way I can make it till dinner. So what I do is either grab a bag of Herr's Popped Tangy BBQ chips. They're super hard to find but an entire bag of chips only has 70 calories! A lot of girls at work will do the 100 calorie bag of popcorn. When I do the popcorn, I dress it up with no-calorie airsol spray butter and popcorn salt available in the popcorn aisle. The other thing I do is buy a footlong sub at lunch. I rip off half the bread to make it an open-face sandwich. I'll eat half at lunch and the other half around the 3:00 mark. The way I get my subs (wheat bread, oven roasted chicken, oregano, tons of spinach, tomatoes and a touch of BBQ sauce) means that the whole footlong is 458 calories which isn't bad since half of it is my 3:00 snack.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!!! Jenn :)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fruits have sugar, and depending on the fruit you eat, it will cause a spike in blood sugar just like some carbs do, and then comes down quickly, which can cause hunger not long after.

Sugar is sugar, whether it comes from fruit or somewhere else. Try combining it with a healthy fat, that helps me when I do eat a piece of fruit.

Or try eating veggies for you snacks instead of all fruit.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    protein will help you from feeling hungry
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Try eating a sweet potato.................seriously.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on what fruits and veggies your eating. Melon type fruits contain a lot of water vs. an apple or pear that contains a lot of fiber. I would venture to bet your not eating apples. Same goes for veggies, it depends on the veggie. I find that raw baby carrots as a snack help fight off the hunger cravings.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    Fruits have sugar, and depending on the fruit you eat, it will cause a spike in blood sugar just like some carbs do, and then comes down quickly, which can cause hunger not long after.

Sugar is sugar, whether it comes from fruit or somewhere else. Try combining it with a healthy fat, that helps me when I do eat a piece of fruit.

Or try eating veggies for you snacks instead of all fruit.

The only fruits can get myself to eat is bananas, strawberries, oranges and sometimes apples. Ill try veggies and see if that helps.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    maybe you'd prefer a baked apple.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I never have the sense of true fullness when I eat fruits or veges. Perhaps we have conditioned our stomachs to only feel full on high carb, fatty, starchy foods that real food doesn't do it for us anymore! How sad is that?!?!
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Mix your fruits (and veggies) into a smoothie. Milk or juice of your choice, yogurt of your choice, fruit of your choice, protein powder of your choice.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A few snacks that keep me feeling full,

Baby Carrots dipped in Hummus
    Pistachios
    Airpopped popcorn
    Cheese Sticks (like string cheese or colby jack)
    Bananas with a bit of Peanutbutter
    Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There's a joke here...

Not gonna say it...

Really not gonna say it...

*edit* told ya...
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Try spreading a thin layer of peanut butter on your apples. You get some protein and healthy fat to help you feel full longer. Plus it's SUPER yummy!
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hear you - if I eat an apple on it's own, I get really hungy a short time later. But if I eat a slice of cheese at the same time that I eat my apple, it helps me to feel fuller.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do some feel the same way? I can eat fruits for snacks all day and still feel hungry.

except for when I eat a banana before a run, I like to pair my fruit with something that has protein in it. Like a banana and peanut butter, or grapes and cheese stick, etc.
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    I remember being told in a metabolism lecture when I was doing my Biochemistry degree that in terms of evolution, early humans didn't encounter fruit very often so when they did have some they became hungrier after eating it to encourage them to eat as much of it as possible (and this probably happened due to the sugar content). I don't know how much of this has carried over to modern humans but it could offer some sort of explanation.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    fruits and vegetables are not meals, they are not supposed to make you feel full. It's like the cerel commercials "they are PART of a balancec meal"- but not a balanced meal unto themselves.

proteins, fats, and carbs are needed to complete the nutrition and feel full.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips....It helps a lot. When I go shopping I'll be thinking of different things to buy and try a number of combos to see what I like!!! Apples and bananas with peanut butter is like heaven to me lol!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on what fruits and veggies your eating. Melon type fruits contain a lot of water vs. an apple or pear that contains a lot of fiber. I would venture to bet your not eating apples. Same goes for veggies, it depends on the veggie. I find that raw baby carrots as a snack help fight off the hunger cravings.

I'm the exact opposite. If I eat fruits like pineapple, cantaloupe, or watermelon, I'm full for a while. If I eat an apple or a pear, I"m as hungry 30 minutes later as I was before eating it. I don't find raw veggies filling at all, no matter how much I eat, but a small amount of cooked veggies is satiating. It's interesting.