Turkey Bacon- I just can't do it.

Options
I bought some turkey bacon. Just the thought of it grosses me out (as does ground turkey meat). I keep hoping that the part of me that hates to waste money and wants to get healthy, will overpower the part of me that is completely grossed out by it. The expiration date on the bacon is quickly approaching. I just don't think I can do it.

Replies

• lisamariepickering
    Options
    I wasn't to keen on the idea, either, but I got used to it. Sort of tastes like turkey jerky. Don't expect it to taste like the real thing.
  • mrsoski
    mrsoski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me either. I prefer center cut bacon instead.
  • fortinfitness
    fortinfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are two different types of turkey bacon. One is like the Butterball brand, which is made up of mechanically separated turkey. Yuck! It's pureed turkey meat glued together to look like bacon.

What I eat are turkey bacon-style strips, which are whole turkey breast meat cut and cured like bacon. A bit more expensive but much, much better.

This is the one I buy (from PC in Canada): http://goo.gl/871NY
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Quick! Send it to me! I'll eat it.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to waste it, can you maybe cook it and use it in veggies or maybe a salad so it's not like you're eating a big bite of fakey bakey at once?
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    What I eat are turkey bacon-style strips, which are whole turkey breast meat cut and cured like bacon. A bit more expensive but much, much better.

28872205.jpg
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    real pig > formed turkey paste
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste bad, but it is a poor substitute for the real stuff.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the Jenni-O turkey bacon & I think it's pretty good :) I also like turkey pepperoni too..lol
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think turkey bacon is pretty good. Give it a try you just might like it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Real bacon is only 70 calories per serving. Screw the turkey bacon and just have the real thing. Just don't overeat it. I hate turkey bacon. I tried to like it. I really did, but I love real bacon way too much.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get crispy until it's burnt.

Eat it, and if you like it... buy more, if not... go back to non-communist bacon :)
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Right? it's a freakin abomination!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It tastes alright but it is a far cry from bacon. I prefer to just eat less of the real thing.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of turkey bacon. I don't eat bacon often so when I do I want the real thing. I'm okay with ground turkey but I don't go into eating it thinking that it should be like beef. The same goes for turkey bacon, if you eat it expecting porky lite you will be disappoint. Try a couple pieces plain and if you dont like it that way use it for cooking. Put it in soups or scrambled eggs or whatever to use up that package and you'll know better next time :wink:
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I bought some turkey bacon. Just the thought of it grosses me out (as does ground turkey meat). I keep hoping that the part of me that hates to waste money and wants to get healthy, will overpower the part of me that is completely grossed out by it. The expiration date on the bacon is quickly approaching. I just don't think I can do it.
    I feel your pain, it took me over 2 months to get thru a package of 8 turkey saugage patties, nastiest stuff ever produced, for the slight difference in fats and what not I will stick with the real thing from now on
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad...it's just not bacon.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I cooked it up and then gave ot to my dog as a trewt
  • camiann585
    camiann585 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joe's turkey bacon... if you a TJ near you.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Veggie Bacon from Morning Star?
    I think it's pretty good. You can make it in the microwave in like 1 minute.
    It smells smokey like bacon and taste like a mix between bacon bits and pringles lol