Cold Climate Runners

Options
How do you warm up before a run? When the weather is nice out, I would do some dynamic stretches and then walk 10 mins before I started my run. I live in Wisconsin, and it's starting to get chilly. The last week or two I just started running right out the door. It's getting to cold to walk in that weather. I don't think skipping my warmup walk is really a smart idea though, and I wonder if that is why my knee is starting to ache a little.

So tell me, what is your warm up when it's 40 degrees or cooler?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Some light stretching, a quick couple minute walk, and go.

I usually start a little slower then I normally would.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Some light stretching, a quick couple minute walk, and go.

I usually start a little slower then I normally would.

^^this^^
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Keep at the dynamic stretching, add some jumping jacks and/or squat thrusts...start with a hat that you can remove once you warm up...on the plus side you'll probably start increasing your speed as you're really going to want to haul *kitten* to warm up...lol - enjoy!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I do dynamic stretches and a few yoga poses inside my home before I take off for a run. I'll walk for a couple of minutes but then I get cold so I basically start a slow, light run and build up from there.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i continue to do a warm up walk of 5 - 8 minutes before running, even in the cold temps. i do walk a little faster than normal, so that it helps me, well, warm up. i just make sure i'm dressed appropriately for the weather. compression top and tights, additional layers (vest/shirts/jacket) if necessary, headband to cover my forehead & ears (personal preference thing--i'm not a fan of running with a hat), gloves, sometimes a scarf.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I just walk for 3 minutes. But jumping jacks will work and keep you warm!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I walk to the end of the driveway and go. Never had a problem with doing a warm up, the first 500 m's is a small hill and I'm lots warm by the time I get to the top.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thanks, I do try to start my run out slower but it seems my body has one speed and finds that speed quickly.
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Another person asked this question about a month ago, and I would do this for about 10 minutes then you should be good to go!!

781eaf02.gif
  • mrsoski
    mrsoski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i continue to do a warm up walk of 5 - 8 minutes before running, even in the cold temps. i do walk a little faster than normal, so that it helps me, well, warm up. i just make sure i'm dressed appropriately for the weather. compression top and tights, additional layers (vest/shirts/jacket) if necessary, headband to cover my forehead & ears (personal preference thing--i'm not a fan of running with a hat), gloves, sometimes a scarf.

this. I live in the WI also -- love running in winter!