your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options
what is it? do you have a recipe that you can share so that we can all benefit from your expertise?

mine: green bean casserole (from the French's french fried onion can) and cheesecakes.

CLARIFICATION:

what i mean is--what do YOU MAKE for the holidays that everyone loves?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Cheesy potatoes. I dont think my brother would let me in his house Thanksgiving day with out them. That and crabbies.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh christmas is a killer for my family, there's a HUGE lunch, and hot chips for breakfast, then there's dessert, apple slices, cheese cakes, caramel tarts, spice gateau ( my favorite) and SO many other things, there's no chance in hell I'll log christmas day!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My grandma's chocolate & berry trifle...

Went through around 2kg of it over the last couple of days. Oops.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-paradise-pumpkin-pie/

Everyone loves it and always asks for it.
    It's got a cheesecake layer, then a pumpkin custard layer, and a pecan streusel on top.

Besides that, every year I make packages to send to all the family members. Always has a variety of homemade fudge, some festive cookies, and maybe some candy like a brittle, and some banana bread (the best recipe ever is Chef Bo Friberg's recipe, I make mini loaves) We haven't decided what we're going to do this year yet.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Not this past Thanksgiving I made some of the most amazing mashed potatoes ever. There were none left. You premake them the day before, then the day of, you bake them. O-M-G. Everyone was raving about them. I also make a stellar broccoli casserole. I can't wait for Thanksgiving this year! I'm moving into a new house next week and cannot WAIT to utilize my big kitchen!!
  • jdorsey614
    jdorsey614 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. My heart-attack-mac and cheeese!!!
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Without the liver: http://www.marthastewart.com/338764/cornbread-stuffing

Its a hit everytime!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I bake cookies for everyone in the family... some of the standards like chocolate chip cookies & oatmeal raisin but I have specialties like chapel windows, date nut balls, peanut butter balls. I try to accomodate everyone's favorite but I change it up every year because I like trying new things and I bake a lot. The cookie boxes I gave out last year had 20 different types of cookies in them. (I start early and freeze them).
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and cheese casserole. It's usually called "Broccoli slop". It consists of broccoli, whole bag of shredded cheese, cream of mushroom soup, bit a mayo, onion, topped with Ritz crackers
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie! :love:

I use the recipe that comes on RW Knudsen canned pumpkin, but I make mine with extra ginger and an extra sprinkle of nutmeg and cloves, and puree the pumpkin mix in the blender before pouring into the pie shell. Yum!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I bake cookies for everyone in the family... some of the standards like chocolate chip cookies & oatmeal raisin but I have specialties like chapel windows, date nut balls, peanut butter balls. I try to accomodate everyone's favorite but I change it up every year because I like trying new things and I bake a lot. The cookie boxes I gave out last year had 20 different types of cookies in them. (I start early and freeze them).

what's your freezing method? wow, that sounds like a lot of work! do you mail them?
    Options
    Broccoli and cheese casserole. It's usually called "Broccoli slop". It consists of broccoli, whole bag of shredded cheese, cream of mushroom soup, bit a mayo, onion, topped with Ritz crackers

fresh or frozen broccoli? do you leave the ritz plain?
  • JesssHerzner
    Options
    For Thanksgiving- family recipe for Pumpkin Roll... mmm (:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I always serve soup at my Christmas Eve gatherings. Last year I did French Onion Soup and Spinach Tomato Tortellini Soup. The year before I served Chicken Tortilla.
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    Poppyseed chicken casserole (I use Philadelphia Cream Cheese instead of sour cream)

http://www.food.com/recipe/Poppy-Seed-Chicken-Casserole-269300
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Almond poppy seed bundt cake....I give it as gifts and I get requests for the recipe all the time.. NO way!

Eggnog pumpkin pie

Caramel pecan pie

Do you see a trend here?? lol
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, it would be green bean casserole, mushroom bread stuffing, roasted garlic and parmersan whipped potatoes, and pumpkin mousse pie. Oh, I also make a killer pumpkin cheesecake trifle that literally takes five minutes to put together.

For Christmas, the first three Thanksgiving recipes, cherry apple pie, sugar cookie cutouts (with sanding sugar only), white chocolate chip chocolate cookies, mint fudge cookie balls, marbled peppermint bark, and a chocalate cheesecake trifle.

There's more, but I'm getting hungry just listing this stuff. And yes, every single item mentioned is asked for each year. My family is a bunch of greedy SOBs.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I make amazing cream cheese filled pumpkin rolls!
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My spinach lasagna. All left over cheese from the lasagna gets stuffed in baby portabello mushrooms. Christmas tradition around my house. Oh yeah, fresh garlic bread (from scratch) to go with the lasagna!
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, it would be green bean casserole, mushroom bread stuffing, roasted garlic and parmersan whipped potatoes, and pumpkin mousse pie. Oh, I also make a killer pumpkin cheesecake trifle that literally takes five minutes to put together.

For Christmas, the first three Thanksgiving recipes, cherry apple pie, sugar cookie cutouts (with sanding sugar only), white chocolate chip chocolate cookies, mint fudge cookie balls, marbled peppermint bark, and a chocalate cheesecake trifle.

There's more, but I'm getting hungry just listing this stuff. And yes, every single item mentioned is asked for each year. My family is a bunch of greedy SOBs.

Please share your white choc chip chocolate cookie recipe and the trifle! :)