PLEASE READ, I need some advice!

Options
I decided that when I exercise I will not eat the "earned" calories MFP gives me, but to stay at my 1275ish range (unless I get hungry then I will eat something or drink a lot of water). I feel like it's okay because I have a job where I don't move around much (front desk at a hotel) like right now for instance, I sit down and play on the computer. I feel like I don't need all those extra calories if I'm not being all energetic anyways, right? Another reason why I want to stay at my goal calories is because MFP doesn't always calculate calories burned correctly...

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

-Brandie

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I decided that when I exercise I will not eat the "earned" calories MFP gives me, but to stay at my 1275ish range (unless I get hungry then I will eat something or drink a lot of water). I feel like it's okay because I have a job where I don't move around much (front desk at a hotel) like right now for instance, I sit down and play on the computer. I feel like I don't need all those extra calories if I'm not being all energetic anyways, right? Another reason why I want to stay at my goal calories is because MFP doesn't always calculate calories burned correctly...

-Brandie

do it for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. if you feel lethargic alot, you need more calories. if you're hungry alot, you need more calories.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist that I have been working with tells me NOT to eat back calories burned. So I would imagine it's fine.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Its a hard question to answer and your likely to get pages upon pages of people debating with each other. Id say ( and im no expert ) try it out and see how it works for you, give it a couple weeks. You can always adjust things if you dont like the results.
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Agree with ALL. Don't eat them back. If you figure the body was designed to run on 2000Kcal that is taking into account that we move around ALL day and HUNT our own food. we aren't doing that any more. I went to Ranger School and ate only 1900Kcal a day and moved ALL day 15+ miles a day with an 80lb ruck sack.. I lost 38lbs in 62 days but it didn't kill me. You'll be fine with 1200kcal and moderate exercise. It will get you to your goal.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    I think you're plan in just fine. It's what I decided to do, as well and I started seeing/feeling results soon after. Don't go to bed starving (hungry, eh...starving keeps me up), and don't deprive yourself or nutrients (if you are hungry, swig some milk, eat some almonds, or something small to tide you over until bedtime, or your next meal).

Good luck!
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist that I have been working with tells me NOT to eat back calories burned. So I would imagine it's fine.

To be fair, when nutritionists calculate you calorie intake, they account for anticipated exercise in their formula, which would make sense not to eat them back. MFP does not account for exercise unless a you enter it in, which is why they suggest to eat it. For someone who isn't familiar with how MFP works and uses a different formula it is easy to get confused.

As for what you are planning or not is right, depends really on what works for you. Personally I would eat less, but not necessarily none. MFP can be inaccurate for calorie burns. While in a huge fan of eating, I don't always eat all of my exercise calories. I tend to underestimate my calories burned and overestimate calories eaten.
  • BRANN80
    BRANN80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thanks guys! (:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

-Brandie

It depends. What kind of exercise are you doing, and what are you're goals from that?
  • PetulantOne
    Options

-Brandie

It depends. What kind of exercise are you doing, and what are your goals from that? And what are you actually netting? If you are burning most of what you are eating I would say it isn't a good idea. If you're only burning like 100 calories I'd agree to testing it out for a few weeks.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

-Brandie

It depends. What kind of exercise are you doing, and what are your goals from that? And what are you actually netting? If you are burning most of what you are eating I would say it isn't a good idea. If you're only burning like 100 calories I'd agree to testing it out for a few weeks.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

-Brandie

• fitQueenbeast
    Options

-Brandie

Food for thought:

If you only eat 1,275 calories for the day and you burn, let's just say 400 calories, here's the math on that-

1,275 - 400 = 875. So your body is designed to LIVE off of 875 calories a day when "THEY" say the absolute bare minimum number is 1,200 for women? I'm curious as to what your BMR is (which is what you would burn should you end up in a coma or bedridden and need to be fed via tube) and your TDEE (the amount of calories you need to fuel your body daily (to allow you to do normal daily activities like get out of bed, take a shower, cook a meal, clean house, walk the dog, drive to the store, etc. etc...you get the picture).

I strongly suggest you do a search on Google about BMR and TDEE to understand how eating at 1275 AND exercising is going to have the opposite effect...eventually. What's going to end up happening is you're going to lose weight and, more importantly, LEAN MUSCLE. Muscle is what you'll need to help burn the fat, even on days when you don't work out. Don't believe me? Research to learn for yourself.

I research a lot of stuff that people say on here to 1. find out if it's true and 2. find out if it's right for me. You should do the same because what's happening is people are being told things to pacify them and not telling them the truth. You need to eat in order to lose weight HEALTHILY and not lose lean muscle.
  • BRANN80
    Options
    Jackie- I am burning about 500-600 calories from my exercises (says MFP). I do the workout class called "Body Attack". It's a high impact cardio workout for an hour about 4 times a week and I also walk on the treadmill at around 3.0-3.5 mph for an hour about 1 to 2 times during the week and that burns abour 200+ calories. Add me and you can see my diary. I'm not sure what you mean by "what am I actually netting"?

-Brandie
  • BRANN80
    Options
    Mzedavis- I burn approximately 500 calories when I workout doing the Body Attack workout class about 4 times a week and I walk on the treadmill for an hour at the pace of about 3.0-3.5 1 to 2 times a week. When I calculate my food in my diary and my workouts I don't look at the "earned" calories, I look at my actually goal calories and eat that... Mind you, I'm just starting this today...

-Brandie
  • katastrophictendencies
    Options
    as long as you continue seeing results and do not feel deprived, it is fine, you should never eat when you are not hungry
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I met with my dietician today and she actually told me NOT to eat my calories back.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I met with my dietician today and she actually told me NOT to eat my calories back.

Again, see my above post. Dietitians typically use a different where exercise is already accounted for. MFP doesn't.
    If following the advice of a dietician, then follow what they say. But If not, MFP uses a different formula so the advice does not necessarily translate.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Jackie- I am burning about 500-600 calories from my exercises (says MFP). I do the workout class called "Body Attack". It's a high impact cardio workout for an hour about 4 times a week and I also walk on the treadmill at around 3.0-3.5 mph for an hour about 1 to 2 times during the week and that burns abour 200+ calories. Add me and you can see my diary. I'm not sure what you mean by "what am I actually netting"?

-Brandie

First off, sorry about the multiple posts, MFP is acting crazy tonight. But I bumped your post a bunch lol. You're right MFP does overestimate calories. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I would suggest cutting there numbers by about half anyway. By netting I mean, if you ate 1200 calories, than burned 500 for the day, you are only netting 700 calories for the day. What I was getting at is if you are burning a great deal you do need to eat at least some of them back, or you are going to hit a wall very quickly. I'll add you now :)