What is a good exercise to do when you are sore?

Options
Again, what is a good exercise to do when you are sore?

I'm trying to up my activity level. I did taebo last night and I am rather sore... but I'd like to do a little bit of a work out.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It sounds counterintuitive, but just do the more of what made you sore. When I first started lifting, the only thing that would make my legs quit hurting was more squats, and the same thing for my back with deadlifts.
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    It sounds counterintuitive, but just do the more of what made you sore. When I first started lifting, the only thing that would make my legs quit hurting was more squats, and the same thing for my back with deadlifts.

I'll try to do what I can, I think.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yoga!!! It hurts like heck at first but by the end you feel stretched out and amazing.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Warm up jog and you'll loosen up your muscles enough to do anything!

I've done enough pre-seasons to know you're capable of doing anything when sore lol but jogging is the key.

Yoga is great too or anything where you stretch
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I agree with both answers lol! Keep doing what your doing and your body will adjust, but yoga is great to stretch out.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    20 or 30 minutes of walking or other light cardio. The soreness is because when you work out, you cause microscopic tears in your muscles. You need to rest those muscles, and it is in the resting that they repair and become stronger. People who lift weights don't work all the same muscles every day, they rotate so they are working different muscle groups and allowing repair time for the other muscle groups.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Again, what is a good exercise to do when you are sore?

I'm trying to up my activity level. I did taebo last night and I am rather sore... but I'd like to do a little bit of a work out.

Is it just normal post workout soreness? Or "OMG I really overdid it" soreness?

If it's the former, just keep on doing what you've been doing.

If it's the latter, you want to warm up with some gentle activity like walking (or if it's really bad, a hot shower instead) and then some gentle stretching and very light exercise to get the blood pumping into those sore muscles and taking away waste products. So if you ran and over did it, walk. If you overdid it lifting, go through the same range of motion but with either no weight or very light weight. Think "same range of motion, much lower intensity".
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    yoga!!! It hurts like heck at first but by the end you feel stretched out and amazing.

I highly second this!
    And now I need to remind myself to start doing yoga again...I've been slackin'...
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit for training sore muscles, but there is an increased likelihood of injury. If you want to train, hit the body parts which are not sore. If your entire body is sore, highly recommend some light stretching, walking and foam rolling instead of exercising.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Walking really helps loosen me up. Followed by using a foam roller to work on the sore areas. And yoga.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    All of the above....to work out soreness, I will sometimes do yoga, stretch, light resistance like Pilates with a band, or a light jog. Just anything to move and get blood flowing helps me be less stiff and sore.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Yup.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    yoga
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I walk. Slow pace at first, then pick it up as I warm up.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit for training sore muscles, but there is an increased likelihood of injury. If you want to train, hit the body parts which are not sore. If your entire body is sore, highly recommend some light stretching, walking and foam rolling instead of exercising.

Yeah, because those guys who have hard manual labor jobs are able to take off every other day until their soreness is gone, right? So many people underestimate the body's ability to manage physical exertion.

As for the person who said that silly crap about weightlifters alternating body parts: no, sissy *kitten* bodybuilders do that. Most powerlifters and oly lifters will work their pet exercise (be it deadlift, squat, bench, clean and jerk, etc.) at every session.
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I did about half of the taebo work out I did yesterday and only did about half of the reps.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Pilates and/or a light jog
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I carry a lot of weight on my upper body so it's hard for me to run at the moment. But stretching really helped... I did the taebo stretching that they did in the video yesterday and it really helped stretching those target muscles.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Rest? Stretching. Depends on the type of soreness. If it is muscle soreness, continued demands will help in the recovery process....
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    walking... yep walk the neighborhood! the dog!? lol.. what I do.. im usually sore after "body pump" class at gym (weights/squats/lunges) whole bit.. so i do walk/jog after.. even though sore today i went this morning b4 work and after work too...