Ladies, tell me about your tummies

Options

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Of topic here but OP, is your profile picture Liriel from the Elaine Cunningham "Daughter of the Drow"? Love those books. :)

It's just the character picture I use to fit my drow character in RPGs :embarassed: but I might have to check those books out now as (obviously) I love drow but I've only really read RA Salvatore's various drow/Drizzt series.
  • Tari_D
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I am between a 10-12 US size. I still have a pouch which has improved through diet and exercise. I was going to make a post on how to lose it... what exercise I should be doing. I have 20 pounds that I would like to lose for myself to be in a healthy BMI. MFP has me needed to lose 37 more pounds that would put me at 140 which for me would probably not look right. Since I have gut.. am I supposed to keep with the cardio and strength training? Should I be doing my abs exercises. I would like help with this too.

I don't have the answer yet I'm afraid (if I ever get there I will let you know!) but it does seem that most people suggest strength training and that does make sense because it should help you keep the minimise the muscle broken down when in calorie deficit and maximise the fat loss. That fat has got to eventually come from the belly!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    At age 54, I am glad my stomach appears flat in clothes ...I weigh 131 at 5'8"... I never that thought I would be a size 10 again, much less have a wardrobe of size 8 and 6's that fit...

At this point in my life, I am not really interested in muscle definition visable from 50 feet. My goal is to be able to run a 5k without any walking and to be able to keep up yoga/barre 3.

Barre 3 has a lot of core work that smooths out my entire mid section.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Of topic here but OP, is your profile picture Liriel from the Elaine Cunningham "Daughter of the Drow"? Love those books. :)

It's just the character picture I use to fit my drow character in RPGs :embarassed: but I might have to check those books out now as (obviously) I love drow but I've only really read RA Salvatore's various drow/Drizzt series.

I just remember that pic from the cover of one of her books. I love Drizzt. I think you'd like Elaine Cunningham's take on the drow too, as they are from the same "Forgotten Realms" universe. :)

Aaaand after a Google search, I was proven right. It's from the cover of the second book. :)
    products_frnovel_178840000_lgpic.jpg
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Flat in the morning, full in the evening. And I'm a US 2-4. I drink a lot of water, 1-2 liters a day, and I often look like I'm preggers because I get so bloated!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mine is starting to feel hard for the first time :-)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Flat stomachs have NOTHING to do with weight. It's about body fat percentage. A woman starts seeing abs at 18%, so start there.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you can have a gut at a size 0 or a flat tummy at size10, it doesn't matter what size you are, everyone's body is different.

Some super skinny tall girl can be a 10 because of height and bone structure, wide hip bones, hourglass shape, and could have the flattest tightest tummy ever...and some little short 5 foot chick could have narrow hip bones and zip into her 0's or 2's just fine but still have a serious muffin top in them....

Long story short:
    Your question is irrelevant and there is no definitive answer.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    at my heaviest I still had no tummy buldges, my long torso and weight distr had it on my butt hips and boobs mostly. like was mentioned, weight goes on ppl different. I'd say try some pilates, core training type ab work and watch what you eat. Drink lots of water. like they said, the tummy is one of the hardest places for a lot of ladies to lose it.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Was a UK 22 now a 12. Even when in my 20's and slim I walways had a protruding belly. Since I started strength training I have had a relatively flat stomach even when at a size 16, in fact I can wear a fitted jersey dress with no fat rolls and with normal underwear. Strength training has definately helped me with my physical appearance, and made me realise how unimportant scale weight is.
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    This is a bit of a strange question but bear with me :ohwell:

I used to be a size UK size 18 (US size 16) and much to my amazement (and thanks to MFP) I am now just about a size 12 (US size 10). I always used to imagine that I size 12 was pretty small and that being a size 10 would involve a flat stomach. But now, at size 12, I still have a sizeable belly and I'm not quite at a healthy BMI or Body Fat % yet. You can't see my big stomach so much when I'm wearing clothes though so I am wondering - are many of the skinny looking girls out there hiding a belly under those nice clothes?
    What dress size are you if you do have a completely flat stomach? I used to think I wouldn't go below a size 12 but I'm looking to revise my goals to fit in with being a healthy weight/body fat %.

You could be me with a few minor adjustments....I started at a UK 22...am now a 12 and was only ever heading for a 14....think Im gonna have to be a 10 to be happy(ish) with my tum though and have accepted it is maybe never gonna be as flat as I had hoped it would get :(
  • Tari_D
    Options
    Was a UK 22 now a 12. Even when in my 20's and slim I walways had a protruding belly. Since I started strength training I have had a relatively flat stomach even when at a size 16, in fact I can wear a fitted jersey dress with no fat rolls and with normal underwear. Strength training has definately helped me with my physical appearance, and made me realise how unimportant scale weight is.
    What kind of strength training do you do? What is your normal routine would you say?
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    I am currently a size 16 (Aus), a few months ago I was a 10-12. I think my waist is about 36-37 inches, not sure about that though. Have a pair of 29 inch waist Guess jeans that I really want to be able to fit into one day!
  • saahy1
    saahy1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know lots of slim girls who have a small belly bulge and have to be careful about how the dress the upper half of their body. But all I ever notice is how fantastic their slim legs look in skinny jeans! So jealous! I'm the opposite -- I carry fat in my legs. I started watching calories a months ago, hoping to lose 15 pounds and maybe drop a pant size (I'm 5'2). Still wearing the same pants, but I've lost 2 inches from my waist! My waist is only 3 inches bigger than ONE of my thighs!
  • Tari_D
    Options
    It's interesting how everyone has their own concerns with regards to which part of them is too big. There always has to be something doesn't there?! I have pretty huge thighs (and bottom!) as well but it is my tummy that bothers me the most. I also have disproportionately huge calves (I really struggle with boots and skinny jeans) but it looks more like muscle than fat so although it's awkward for clothes I'm not so bothered.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm an Australian 8 (sometimes less for dresses...), I think that's a US 4 or so, and I don't have a flat stomach... It's such a common place to store fat...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started at size 12 (US) and I'm now a size 8. I've always carried my weight in the hips and bum more than tummy so mine is pretty flat. No 6 pack, but it's smooth and has lost it's 'jiggle' and at age 51 I could wear a bikini in public without shame, so I'm cool with it.
  • AZDreamgirl
    Options
    I know how you feel, i am far from my goal weight, but my whole body except my tummy is shrinking (ok slight exagerration) basically everywhere else but my tummy has shed quickly and the process for my tummy is sloooooow
    I second this.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a flat stomach...if you don't touch it. :laugh:

I have had 3 kids and there is a bit of a thing with moms and "mom belly". My stomach is firm....under the layer of mush and the little bit of fat that is left. I guess I could say it was "flat" around when I hit close to a size 8, but it also was about taking down my body fat percentage. But it being flat still doesn't mean I'm showing it off. And if I put on size 4 pants, I can squeeze a muffin top out of it too.

I'm 5'6" and it was around 150lbs that my stomach would be considered flat.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    <== U.S. size 0, but I had a flat stomach at a U.S. size 4. Belly fat is 80% what you eat.

Its not always what you eat. I have Insulin Resistance..so I gather fat around my belly. I may or may not lose it..but its not because of teh way I eat...I eat fairly well 80% of the time..but because of age and metabolic issues..I dont think it will be super flat