red meat addict

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    All of the "studies" on red meat finding increased risk of cancer are pretty much based on the higher fat content.

Do you know what contributed to our increased brain size? Meat.

We have canine teeth, we are designed to eat red meat. And as for "real carnivores", would you rather me disembowl and partially eat the cow before it's dead?

I can't help but appreciate this coming from a woman holding a cat, who are the only pure carnivores in the US. People who feed their cats food with grains in it piss me off. :-X
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Humans aren't animals? LOL :laugh: What planet are you living on? Would you eat meat fresh and raw off the bone of an animal you'd bothered to kill yourself, like a real carnivore?

We have evolved slightly since then.

Hell yes to the rest of it though. Get me on that 'kill it, cook it, eat it'. Tasty. :tongue:

We may have evolved, but we're still animals :happy:

And if you genuinely don't give a flying **** about contributing to the torture and slaughter of billions of animals every year & the greenhouse gass emissionions that go along with it, don't you care about your health? --> A new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) researchers has found that red meat consumption is associated with an increased risk of total, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120312162746.htm

You know what else it's associated with? Being jacked as ****. Show me someone who doesn't eat red meat that can deadlift more than 800 lbs., and I'll kiss your *kitten*. Oh, that's right, my lips are safe, as they don't exist anymore. People used to be able to get great results with whole milk, but that's just as illegal as pot in the US now.

I didn't quit smoking because I was scared of cancer. I quit because not being able to breathe was turning me into a little ***** under the iron. Death comes for everyone. Might as well be a badass while you wait for it.

Yeah, cos being 'jacked' really ****ing matters :laugh: :wink:

I've seen raw food vegans deadlift 500lbs, more than any non-vegan I've ever met!

1000lbs Squat in the name of Fruit, Veg, Nuts & Seeds -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqkSV8SP2Y&feature=relmfu
  • All of the "studies" on red meat finding increased risk of cancer are pretty much based on the higher fat content.

We have canine teeth, we are designed to eat red meat. And as for "real carnivores", would you rather me disembowl and partially eat the cow before it's dead?

I can't help but appreciate this coming from a woman holding a cat, who are the only pure carnivores in the US. People who feed their cats food with grains in it piss me off. :-X

I'm actually holding rats ;) 10 of them!

But I do have a cat and a kitten and they are both fed a mix of meat and dry food.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Humans aren't animals? LOL :laugh: What planet are you living on? Would you eat meat fresh and raw off the bone of an animal you'd bothered to kill yourself, like a real carnivore?

Hell yes to the rest of it though. Get me on that 'kill it, cook it, eat it'. Tasty. :tongue:

And if you genuinely don't give a flying **** about contributing to the torture and slaughter of billions of animals every year & the greenhouse gass emissionions that go along with it, don't you care about your health? --> A new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) researchers has found that red meat consumption is associated with an increased risk of total, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120312162746.htm

Ah sorry, I didn't word it very well. I meant we have evolved in that we don't need to eat meat raw and off the bone. I have a cooker now. :wink:

As for the 'health risks' - I don't pay any attention to them any more. If you listened to everything they say is bad for you, you'd never eat a thing. Everything in moderation won't do you any harm.

• Humans aren't animals? LOL :laugh: What planet are you living on? Would you eat meat fresh and raw off the bone of an animal you'd bothered to kill yourself, like a real carnivore?

Ah sorry, I didn't word it very well. I meant we have evolved in that we don't need to eat meat raw and off the bone. I have a cooker now. :wink:

As for the 'health risks' - I don't pay any attention to them any more. If you listened to everything they say is bad for you, you'd never eat a thing. Everything in moderation won't do you any harm.

^^ This. Plenty of fruit and veg could have enough pesticide in them to cause you harm, if you ate five truckloads of them a day. It's the same with meat. A balanced diet doesn't have any increased health risks, it's all about the moderation.
  • Lyra89
    Options
    All of the "studies" on red meat finding increased risk of cancer are pretty much based on the higher fat content.

Humans vs. Carnivores
    The following is an incomplete list of the major differences between humans and carnivorous creatures.
    • Walking: We have two hands and two feet, and we walk erect. All of the carnivores have four feet and perform their locomotion using all fours.
    • Tails: Carnivores have tails.
    • Tongues: Only the truly carnivorous animals have rasping (rough) tongues. All other creatures have smooth tongues.
    • Claws: Our lack of claws makes ripping skin or tough flesh extremely difficult. We possess much weaker, flat fingernails instead.
    • Opposable thumbs: Our opposable thumbs make us extremely well equipped to collect a meal of fruit in a matter of a few seconds. Most people find the process effortless. All we have to do is pick it. The claws of allow them to catch their prey in a matter of seconds as well. We could no more catch and rip the skin or tough flesh of a deer or bear barehanded than a lion could pick mangos or bananas.
    • Births: Humans usually have children one at a time. Carnivores typically give birth to litters.
    • Colon formation: Our convoluted colons are quite different in design from the smooth colons of carnivorous animals.
    • Intestinal length: Our intestinal tracts measure roughly times the length of our torsos (about 30 feet). This allows for the slow absorption of sugars and other water-borne nutrients from fruit. In contrast, the digestive tract of a carnivore is only 3 times the length of its torso. This is necessary to avoid rotting or decomposition of flesh inside the animal. The carnivore depends upon highly acidic secretions to facilitate rapid digestion and absorption in its very short tube. Still, the putrefaction of proteins and the rancidity of fats is evident in their feces.
    • Mammary glands: The multiple teats on the abdomens of carnivores do not coincide with the pair of mammary glands on the chest of humans.
    • Sleep: Humans spend roughly two thirds of every 24-hour cycle actively awake. Carnivores typically sleep and rest from 18 to 20 hours per day and sometimes more.
    • Microbial tolerance: Most carnivores can digest microbes that would be deadly for humans, such as those that cause botulism.
    • Perspiration: Humans sweat from pores on their entire body. Carnivores sweat from the tongues only.
    The 80/10/10 Diet
    • Vision: Our sense of vision responds to the full spectrum of color, making it possible to distinguish ripe from unripe fruit at a distance. Meat eaters do not typically see in full color.
    • Meal size: Fruit is in scale to our food requirements. It our hands. A few pieces of fruit is enough to make a meal, leaving no waste. Carnivores typically eat the entire animal when they kill it.
    • Drinking: Should we need to drink water, we can suck it with our lips, but we cannot lap it up. Carnivores' tongues protrude outward so they can lap water when they need to drink.
    • Placenta: We have a discoid-style placenta, whereas the carnivores have placentas.
    • Vitamin C: Carnivores manufacture their own vitamin For us, vitamin C is an essential nutrient that we must get from our food.
    • Jaw movement: Our ability to grind our food is unique to plant eaters. Meat eaters have no lateral movement in their jaws.
    • Dental formula: Mammalogists use a system called the "dental formula" to describe the arrangement of teeth in each quadrant of the jaws of an animal's mouth. This refers to the number of incisors, canines, and molars in each of the four quadrants. Starting from the center and moving outward, our formula, and that of most anthropoids, is 2/1/5. The dental formula for carnivores is 3/l/5-to-8.
    • Teeth: The molars of a carnivore are pointed and sharp. Ours are primarily flat, for mashing food. Our "canine" teeth bear no resemblance to true fangs. Nor do we have a mouth full of them, as a true carnivore does. I am reminded of one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite retorts: "If you counted a sheep's tail as a leg, how many legs would it have?" Invariably, people would answer, "five." To which Lincoln would respond: "Only four. the tail as a leg doesn't make it one."
    • Tolerance for fat: We do not handle more than small quantities of fat well. Meat eaters thrive on a high-fat diet.
    • SaUva and urine pH: All of the plant-eating creatures (including healthy humans) maintain alkaline saliva and urine most of the time. The saliva and urine of the meat eating animals, however, is acidic.
    • Diet pH: Carnivores thrive on a diet of acid-forming foods, whereas such a diet is deadly to humans, setting the stage for a wide variety of disease states. Our preferred foods are all alkaline-forming.
    Chapter Determining Our True Dietary Nature
    • Stomach acid pH: The level of the hydrochloric acid that humans produce in their stomachs generally ranges about 3 to 4 or higher but can go as low as 2.0. (0 most acidic, 7 neutral, 14 most alkaline). The stomach acid of cats and other meat eaters can be in the range and usually runs in the 2s. Because the pH scale is logarithmic, this means the stomach acid of a carnivore is at least times stronger than that of a human and can be or even 1,000 times stronger.
    • Uricase: True carnivores secrete an enzyme called to metabolize the uric acid in flesh. We secrete none and so must neutralize this strong acid with our alkaline minerals, primarily calcium. The resulting calcium urate crystals are one of the many pathogens of meat eating, in this case giving rise to or contributing to arthritis, rheumatism, and bursitis.
    • Digestive enzymes: Our digestive enzymes are geared to make for easy fruit digestion. We produce known as salivary to initiate the digestion of fruit. Meat-eating animals do not produce any ptyalin and have completely different digestive enzyme ratios.
    • Sugar metabolism: The glucose and fructose in fruits fuel our cells without straining our pancreas (unless we eat a high-fat diet). Meat eaters do not handle sugars well. They are prone to diabetes if they eat a diet that is predominated by fruit.
    • Intestinal flora: Humans have different bacterial colonies (flora) living in their intestines than those found in animals. The ones that are similar, such as lactobacillus and e. are found in different ratios in the plant eaters' intestines as compared to those of the
    • Liver size: Carnivores have proportionately larger livers in comparison to their body size than humans.
    • Cleanliness: We are the most particular of all creatures about the cleanliness of our food. Carnivores are the least picky, and will eat dirt, bugs, organic debris, and other items along with their food.
    • Natural appetite: Our mouths water at the sights and smells of the produce market. These are living foods, the source of our sustenance. But the smell of animals usually puts us off. Meat eaters' mouths water at the sight of prey, and they react to the smell of animals as though they sense food.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    tCp90.gif

I love vegetarian/meat eating/"meat is murder" discussions almost as much as i love debates about religion.

p.s. the use of fire to cook meat, the domestication of cattle and the change in the jaw/teeth of our ancestors was crucial to the evolution of our species, and the evolution of civilisation.

I love a good steak. Med-rare please
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Not quoting, because that **** was getting out of hand with the length. Hehe.

Anyway, if you want to get philosophical with me, none of it really matters. Not what you eat, nor I, nor what anyone can lift, because we will all eventually return to nothingness. Don't bring out my inner nihilist. It's never good for a conversation. :)

However, that video won't load for me on my phone out here in the middle of nowhere, so I'll check it out when I get home.

Also, your propaganda about vegans living longer: the diet hasn't been around long enough to be able to establish that with any accuracy, so I have to call bull**** for now. :)
  • lauren3101
    Options

Humans vs. Carnivores
    The following is an incomplete list of the major differences between humans and carnivorous creatures.
    • Walking: We have two hands and two feet, and we walk erect. All of the carnivores have four feet and perform their locomotion using all fours.
    • Tongues: Only the truly carnivorous animals have rasping (rough) tongues. All other creatures have smooth tongues.
    • Claws: Our lack of claws makes ripping skin or tough flesh extremely difficult. We possess much weaker, flat fingernails instead.
    • Opposable thumbs: Our opposable thumbs make us extremely well equipped to collect a meal of fruit in a matter of a few seconds. Most people find the process effortless. All we have to do is pick it. The claws of allow them to catch their prey in a matter of seconds as well. We could no more catch and rip the skin or tough flesh of a deer or bear barehanded than a lion could pick mangos or bananas.
    • Births: Humans usually have children one at a time. Carnivores typically give birth to litters.
    • Colon formation: Our convoluted colons are quite different in design from the smooth colons of carnivorous animals.
    • Intestinal length: Our intestinal tracts measure roughly times the length of our torsos (about 30 feet). This allows for the slow absorption of sugars and other water-borne nutrients from fruit. In contrast, the digestive tract of a carnivore is only 3 times the length of its torso. This is necessary to avoid rotting or decomposition of flesh inside the animal. The carnivore depends upon highly acidic secretions to facilitate rapid digestion and absorption in its very short tube. Still, the putrefaction of proteins and the rancidity of fats is evident in their feces.
    • Mammary glands: The multiple teats on the abdomens of carnivores do not coincide with the pair of mammary glands on the chest of humans.
    • Sleep: Humans spend roughly two thirds of every 24-hour cycle actively awake. Carnivores typically sleep and rest from 18 to 20 hours per day and sometimes more.
    • Microbial tolerance: Most carnivores can digest microbes that would be deadly for humans, such as those that cause botulism.
    • Perspiration: Humans sweat from pores on their entire body. Carnivores sweat from the tongues only.
    The 80/10/10 Diet
    • Vision: Our sense of vision responds to the full spectrum of color, making it possible to distinguish ripe from unripe fruit at a distance. Meat eaters do not typically see in full color.
    • Meal size: Fruit is in scale to our food requirements. It our hands. A few pieces of fruit is enough to make a meal, leaving no waste. Carnivores typically eat the entire animal when they kill it.
    • Drinking: Should we need to drink water, we can suck it with our lips, but we cannot lap it up. Carnivores' tongues protrude outward so they can lap water when they need to drink.
    • Placenta: We have a discoid-style placenta, whereas the carnivores have placentas.
    • Vitamin C: Carnivores manufacture their own vitamin For us, vitamin C is an essential nutrient that we must get from our food.
    • Jaw movement: Our ability to grind our food is unique to plant eaters. Meat eaters have no lateral movement in their jaws.
    • Dental formula: Mammalogists use a system called the "dental formula" to describe the arrangement of teeth in each quadrant of the jaws of an animal's mouth. This refers to the number of incisors, canines, and molars in each of the four quadrants. Starting from the center and moving outward, our formula, and that of most anthropoids, is 2/1/5. The dental formula for carnivores is 3/l/5-to-8.
    • Teeth: The molars of a carnivore are pointed and sharp. Ours are primarily flat, for mashing food. Our "canine" teeth bear no resemblance to true fangs. Nor do we have a mouth full of them, as a true carnivore does. I am reminded of one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite retorts: "If you counted a sheep's tail as a leg, how many legs would it have?" Invariably, people would answer, "five." To which Lincoln would respond: "Only four. the tail as a leg doesn't make it one."
    • Tolerance for fat: We do not handle more than small quantities of fat well. Meat eaters thrive on a high-fat diet.
    • SaUva and urine pH: All of the plant-eating creatures (including healthy humans) maintain alkaline saliva and urine most of the time. The saliva and urine of the meat eating animals, however, is acidic.
    • Diet pH: Carnivores thrive on a diet of acid-forming foods, whereas such a diet is deadly to humans, setting the stage for a wide variety of disease states. Our preferred foods are all alkaline-forming.
    • Stomach acid pH: The level of the hydrochloric acid that humans produce in their stomachs generally ranges about 3 to 4 or higher but can go as low as 2.0. (0 most acidic, 7 neutral, 14 most alkaline). The stomach acid of cats and other meat eaters can be in the range and usually runs in the 2s. Because the pH scale is logarithmic, this means the stomach acid of a carnivore is at least times stronger than that of a human and can be or even 1,000 times stronger.
    • Uricase: True carnivores secrete an enzyme called to metabolize the uric acid in flesh. We secrete none and so must neutralize this strong acid with our alkaline minerals, primarily calcium. The resulting calcium urate crystals are one of the many pathogens of meat eating, in this case giving rise to or contributing to arthritis, rheumatism, and bursitis.
    • Digestive enzymes: Our digestive enzymes are geared to make for easy fruit digestion. We produce known as salivary to initiate the digestion of fruit. Meat-eating animals do not produce any ptyalin and have completely different digestive enzyme ratios.
    • Sugar metabolism: The glucose and fructose in fruits fuel our cells without straining our pancreas (unless we eat a high-fat diet). Meat eaters do not handle sugars well. They are prone to diabetes if they eat a diet that is predominated by fruit.
    • Intestinal flora: Humans have different bacterial colonies (flora) living in their intestines than those found in animals. The ones that are similar, such as lactobacillus and e. are found in different ratios in the plant eaters' intestines as compared to those of the
    • Liver size: Carnivores have proportionately larger livers in comparison to their body size than humans.
    • Cleanliness: We are the most particular of all creatures about the cleanliness of our food. Carnivores are the least picky, and will eat dirt, bugs, organic debris, and other items along with their food.
    • Natural appetite: Our mouths water at the sights and smells of the produce market. These are living foods, the source of our sustenance. But the smell of animals usually puts us off. Meat eaters' mouths water at the sight of prey, and they react to the smell of animals as though they sense food.

TL,DR.

At the end of the day this is a pointless argument; vegetarians will never believe that people that eat meat are anything less than murderous, and meat-eaters will never understand how vegetarians can turn down a bacon sandwich.
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    Cows are there because we eat them and/or use their milk, no guilt required.

Sorry, but "cows are there" and millions upon millions (upon millions) of cows and pigs and birds are killed daily because we have created a society which feels it simply must have that meat. It's a fantasy cultivated lovingly by huge corporations...(Milk, for example, is not intended for humans, but probably 99 of 100 people think it "does a body good") :laugh:

Argue if you like, but the Standard American Diet has made us the fattest and most disease ridden society on earth.
  • All of the "studies" on red meat finding increased risk of cancer are pretty much based on the higher fat content.

Humans vs. Carnivores
    The 80/10/10 Diet

TL,DR.

At the end of the day this is a pointless argument; vegetarians will never believe that people that eat meat are anything less than murderous, and meat-eaters will never understand how vegetarians can turn down a bacon sandwich.

Also, humans are omnivores, not carnivores. So probably want to change that list, as it is irrelevant.

I'm out, I'm not going to stop eating meat and I'm sick of people calling us that do "murderers" because our views differ.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Welcome into the perfect world of paleo.......if it has a face = eat it!

excellent. i've been eyeing off my watch for weeks, but a little voice kept saying 'no Susie, it's wrong'.
    shut up voice, that seiko's going down!
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Cows are there because we eat them and/or use their milk, no guilt required.

Sorry, but "cows are there" and millions upon millions (upon millions) of cows and pigs and birds are killed daily because we have created a society which feels it simply must have that meat. It's a fantasy cultivated lovingly by huge corporations...(Milk, for example, is not intended for humans, but probably 99 of 100 people think it "does a body good") :laugh:

Argue if you like, but the Standard American Diet has made us the fattest and most disease ridden society on earth.

I think you are twisting the point a bit there. Killing a cow, taking a fatty lump and mincing it, then frying it and sticking it with huge lumps of cheese and bacon in a big bun is going to make you fat. Eating a grilled fat-removed steak will not make you fat, unless you eat 10 of them a day.

Meat is not what made us fat.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

This has no direct correlation to whether or not we are meat eaters. You could say that walking and running on two feet enables us to run after our prey, just like a carnivore.

Do *all* carnivores have tails?
    Nothing to do with whether or not we eat meat, fingernails developed wayyyy back in our ancestry because of tree-walking, not diet.
    That's why humans made weapons.
    Number of offspring actually has to do with the fact that humans' pelves are narrower than other animals because we walk on two feet, so can only carry a limited number of offspring. Moreover, the size of the brain at birth is greatly reduced relative to that of infants of other species so that it can fit through the narrow pelvis, meaning the infant is incredibly dependent for months after birth whereas cubs/kittens etc are much more developed at birth and can survive without as much intervention. Because the baby is so dependent it is not advantageous to have multiple births.

...Need I go on? #broscience
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah, meat is murder. Blah blah blah, meat is torture. Dont care. Eat what you want and leave me the hell alone. Im going to continue to eat meat because not only does it taste good but its good for you. Like everything else, its over eating that isnt good. Anyone that says eating any amount of meat is bad for you is lying and has an agenda, or is just ignorant. Period, end of story, good day.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Humans vs. Carnivores
    The 80/10/10 Diet

This whole post is made irrelevant by one fact. No one said that humans are carnivores. We are more like pigs than cats, as we do best with a diet of both.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

If ya swill lots of beer (carbs), eat lots of fries (carbs), eat lots of refined and processed foods (cakes, biscuits, breads and cereals again CARBS) then you will get fat...this is what the US and most Western corporations support or push....the meat and the fat on the meat are not what makes people fat...the excess consumption of mostly carbs are what causes fat storage, although if you overate meat and only meat then I am sure the same would occur, but it is very hard to overeat protein on its own.

By carbs I mean simple carbs, complex carbs, like the non starchy vegetables are excellent...
  • Lyra89
    Options

Anyway, if you want to get philosophical with me, none of it really matters. Not what you eat, nor I, nor what anyone can lift, because we will all eventually return to nothingness. Don't bring out my inner nihilist. It's never good for a conversation. :)

However, that video won't load for me on my phone out here in the middle of nowhere, so I'll check it out when I get home.

Also, your propaganda about vegans living longer: the diet hasn't been around long enough to be able to establish that with any accuracy, so I have to call bull**** for now. :)

"The diet hasn't been around long enough"...LOL, it isn't a 'diet' it is a lifestyle that has existed since the dawn of man in many cultures. All the Earth's biggest populations have thrived on starches...during many wars meat was scarce and the poorest people existed with very little meat and lived longer lives than the fat, rich, meat-eaters above them. Sure, many celebrities go vegan to slim down for film roles (again, showing it WORKS to lower body fat percentage) but the whole 'hunger-gatherer' debate simply overlooks the fact that during hunter-gatherer times, most of the calories consumed came from the fruits etc that were GATHERED, & meat was a rare *treat*.
  • Lyra89
    Options

This whole post is made irrelevant by one fact. No one said that humans are carnivores. We are more like pigs than cats, as we do best with a diet of both.

Not the point I was making...and pigs have been proven to be more intelligent than dogs, yet we as a species scoff them up greedily, yet you compare US to THEM.

REALLY doesn't make any sense! :indifferent:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

"The diet hasn't been around long enough"...LOL, it isn't a 'diet' it is a lifestyle that has existed since the dawn of man in many cultures. All the Earth's biggest populations have thrived on starches...during many wars meat was scarce and the poorest people existed with very little meat and lived longer lives than the fat, rich, meat-eaters above them. Sure, many celebrities go vegan to slim down for film roles (again, showing it WORKS to lower body fat percentage) but the whole 'hunger-gatherer' debate simply overlooks the fact that during hunter-gatherer times, most of the calories consumed came from the fruits etc that were GATHERED, & meat was a rare *treat*.

Jesus ****ing...it's a diet, not a ****ing social movement, though it's so dogmatic it might as well be a church.

You know what happened to the people who subsisted on grains? They got their *kitten* handed to them by the jacked mother****ers who were eating meat. Crack a history book. Most of the greatest conquering tribes in history ate a LOT of meat, and then proceeded to beat down and impregnate the lesser people. Personally, I'd rather be on the giving end of that stick than the receiving end. :)