Its been 4 weeks since i went Gluten free :)

Options
FeebRyan
FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
I have lost 10lbs
I feel fantastic
I eat much much more varied food
I dont have indigestion
I have loads more energy :)

Its great :):)

Replies

• karieeisom
    karieeisom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about trying to go gluten free! Great job!!!!
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have a Gluten intolerance and it's been 4 days on low carb, gluten free lifestyle change and I'm down 2 lbs which I previously could not lose for the life of me! I'm really excited and hopeful now, especially since you've had great results. Way to go!
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 6 years...congrats and I'm happy you are feeling so good!
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!
  • momofpre
    Options
    Just read an article on giving up wheat to lose weight and it sounds like it's working for you. If you dont mind me asking what kind of foods did you eat and did it keep the hnger pangs away
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    awesome job!! Love eating gluten free :)
  • Mrgruntysmom
    Options
    What made you decide to go Gluten free? Been thinking about it myself. Do you mind sharing some of your foods that you enjoy now?
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in this because I have IBS and I have heard that eliminating gluten can be a real help. What kind of foods do you eat and do you feel satisfied?
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    How were u diagnosed of being gluten intolerance? Pls share what u don't eat anymore..
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in this because I have IBS and I have heard that eliminating gluten can be a real help. What kind of foods do you eat and do you feel satisfied?

I have IBS and tend to stick to a mostly gluten free diet. I eat a lot of sweet potato, sometimes a little brown rice. You can get pasta made out of 100% brown rice, its delicious.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I have IBS and tend to stick to a mostly gluten free diet. I eat a lot of sweet potato, sometimes a little brown rice. You can get pasta made out of 100% brown rice, its delicious.

Thank you :) and obviously it's helped with your IBS since you're sticking to it?
  • TraceyDonna
    Options
    Ive just started this too!!! Im struggling for what I can and cannot eat though - just learning :-/ ... Any hints and tips would be appreciated x
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I feel you hun! I myself struggle sometimes cause I miss normal foods, but when I do right my health issues go away. Its amazing how many of my aliments are attached to food, largely gluten.
  • LisaMariaMuir
    LisaMariaMuir Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Thank you :) and obviously it's helped with your IBS since you're sticking to it?

Agree - have had IBS for nearly 20 years, just been diagnosed wheat intolerant in the last 6 weeks and whether i lose the weight or not, I feel great and my IBS isn't half as bad.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    I think alot of people who suffer from IBS is down to a gluten intolerance. It is just easier for the Dr to say its IBS, and kind of send you on your way.
    I suffered for years with chronic stomach problems, constantly bloated. As soon as I started to eliminate wheat & gluten rich problems things improved.
    But dont get suckered into eating "gluten free" products all the time. Still check the calories of these products, just because they are gluten free, doesnt mean they are healthy :-)
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is having our own food processor. We literally make EVERYTHING from scratch, we make our own tomato sauces (not tinned tomatos) we know everything that goes in our food, we eat a lot better actually

You can get gluten-free replacements for bread and cereals, so i dont understand why people would struggle to go gluten-free, I think its better to find alternatives rather than replacements though, we make our own flat-bread to go with meals though what i would really like is to get a food dehydrator so i can make crackers and stuff from spouted mung beans.

You can still eat rice and potatoes, though i tend to avoid them because they are quite high in carbs and i am trying to cut back on stuff that fills me up quickly and leaves me hungry! If i eat more veggies/tomatoes and so on, i find i stay fuller for longer

I eat a lot of quinoa, its healthy, easy to use and can be nice in a lunch or whatever.

I eat vegan spag bol made in the slow cooker, really simple to do, with gluten-free pasta

To be honest giving up dairy was harder, but it really has never agreed with me and I struggled to feel healthy whilst ingesting even a bit of it.

I also think that many stomach problems (and mood problems) are causes by gluten, I am much happier in myself without it in my diet, my hygiene is better too, my sweat smells cleaner and my hair is in better shape.

I dont know if i recommend giving up gluten to lose weight, because actually the gluten free stuff is often higher in certain things like sodium and sugars, than the gluten-y stuff, but its definitely going to make MOST people healthier, give them more engery as well as making you really aware of what you are putting in your mouth on a day to day basis.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for 3 years now. I was so miserable before! Now there's no way that I'll intentionally eat gluten again. I get sick from even minute amounts. My GI thinks I'm probably Celiac (based on symptoms from before I was GF), but as my doc refused to test me and I went GF on my own, I'll never know for sure.

If you're trying to lose weight GF, you really need to stay away from the 'replacement' GF foods. The majority of them are just not healthy, full of starches and carbs. Just because there isn't wheat in it, doesn't mean there isn't carbs in it! Stay to the whole food choices, and you'll have a easier time of it. Think of the foods you normally eat that are naturally gluten free. Meats, fruits, veggies, rice. GF pasta is OK, I personally prefer the Tinkyada brand. And if you need baked goods, there's a plethora of different flours available now.

Sometimes people discover new intolerances after they go GF as well. Personally, I've learned that I cannot tolerate oats, buckwheat, and kiwi fruit. You have to listen to your body.

In addition, it take about 2-6 weeks to notice a difference after a diet change. So, if you've only been GF for a few days and haven't noticed anything, that's totally normal. Gluten has a way of sticking around.

I've noticed a dramatic difference in my body. I went from constant nausea, arthritis pain in my hands, hips, and knees (at 29), a constant foggy feeling in my head, dramatic dark eye circles, IBS symptoms, constant overwhelming fatigue (it was so bad I'd fall asleep standing up) and more. It was just so frustrating that the doctor would never listen. He'd test my thyroid, my vitamin levels (which were borderline low, but otherwise OK), and send me on my way. I couldn't function at my job, or at home as a Mom. It's something that I will continue with for the rest of my life, and I still deal with some lingering issues from 'poisoning' my body :(.
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I tried going low-carb/gluten free and discovered a mild gluten intolerance, ever since then I've felt way better :)
    Enough about me...

CONGRATS!!!! :D
  • chez_b
    chez_b Posts: 14 Member
    Options

There are literally dozens of GF and allergen-free cookbooks out there - check out your local library so that you can "test drive" the recipes to find some that work for you before you spend money on the books. Some cookbooks will have recipes that look and sound very much like "mainstream" foods and others will use ingredients that might be a bit harder to find. Even then, if you don't live near a coop or grocery that carries a lot of GF choices, there are a number of online sources.

And I would echo the poster who warned that GF and/or vegan choices aren't automatically healthy or low-calorie - one of my favorite vegan pre-MFP treats was the chocolate cookie by Alternative Baking Company. Then I read the label and just about keeled over!

But seriously, if you're thinking of going GF, talk to your local librarian for resources. They can help a lot (that's what we do!).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!