30 Day shred - questions

Options
kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
Hey guys - just a few quick questions for y'all. My 30 day shred DVD arrived today, along with me new work out trainers woop woop. I've heard lots about it but don't really know anything about it, if that makes any sense. I'm working 12 hour days every day this week which doesn't leave a lot of time for working out, but I wanna try and get started on this when I get home tonight really. So my questions are:

1) Do you just do level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for 10 days and Level 3 for 10 days, the whole hour from day one, or increase the workout to include each stage as you feel ready (but always doing stage 1)?

2) Has anyone found that it matters what time of day you do it? Would it matter if I alternate mornings and evenings for example? i.e. If I did it when I got home tonight and then got up early to do it before work tomorrow.

3) I am expecting to be sore - but can anyone prepare me for what areas tend to be the most sore at the beginning so I can try and really concentrate on warming up those areas.

4) Do you need a lot of space for the exercises?

5) Does it go by days or times you do it? i.e. Do you have to do it every day for 30 days or just make sure you do each level 10 times before moving on to the next?

6) What kind of results did you see after completing?

Sorry for all the questions, would really appreciate a heads up though x

Replies

• ERnurse
    ERnurse Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't have any answers but I have 30 day shred waiting at the library for me to try out - so hopefully some of us can start together and see how we do :)
  • kateyb
    Options
    Ok awesome - yes it would be really nice to have other people in the same boat so to speak!
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred. I actually did it every other day. THey suggest doing it every day but your muscles need rest, and you'll see what I mean the day after you start. lol! My but and shoulders hurt the most when I started, might be different for you.

The way you are supposed to do it is do level 1 for 30 days, then level 2 for 30 days...

After I finished the 90 days I went back to level 1 and the next day i did level 2 then 3 with heavier weights just cuz I liked the workouts.

Doesn't matter what time of day, that never matters when you are working out. ALthough I have heard that the later in the day that you workout, the higher your heart rate will go, meaning more calorie burning. It's up to you.
  • kateyb
    Options
    Thanks Becky - I had no idea it was supposed to be each level for 30 days!!! Lol, very interesting about later in the day workouts too. Thanks for that x
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am on the second month of the Shred. To be honest, I don't know if I could have done the Shred at your weight. (I was your weight at one time) I am not being discouraging. This is not a a beginner program so be careful you are not hurt. I started the Shred at the weight of 167, I suggest to try to do the program and judge from there.

The first month I did it everyday (took 2 days off, my body needed it) I saw huge results in weight and inches. I lost 17 pounds since Christmas now down to 159.

YOu can do this, but just be careful.
  • chicka200413
    Options
    When I started doing the shred, I actually got bored with level 1 after about a week and half so I went on to level 2, and I am still working on feeling comfortable at level 2. I don’t think it matters what time of day you do the shred. You don’t need much room for level 1 really, level 2 you spread out a little more. Expect to be sore in your arms if you use weights. The first time doing it you may not want to use weights, or use really light weights. I only have 5 and 10 pound weights at home and I have a hard time using them with the shred. Sometimes I use cans of pasta sauce as my weights.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    1) As mentioned before, each level for 30 days, however, you can move on sooner if one level becomes too easy for you.

2) Personally, I prefer working out in mornings, but with the olympics I stayed up too late so that wasn't happening lol. So I did it in the afternoon and honestly there's really no difference.

3) Muscle groups that will be sore for you will be difference from someone else so it's hard to say what will hurt. It also depends on how much effort you put into certain exercises from the start.

4) Just enough that you can do pushups and jumping jacks; everything else will fit within that space :smile:

5) If you're supposed to do it for 30 days solid, then that's not how I'm doing, just like was mentioned before your muscles will need a break. But don't take too long a break because, even though you may be sore tomorrow, that's the best time to work out again, to build them up after you break them down. You can try every other day to start and as you get into it you can do 2 days on, 1 day off etc, until you can do it every day.

6) Muscle toning and losing inches :happy:
  • cheermom614
    Options
    I did one level each month but you can progress as you feel necessary.
    You don't need much room at all. Just make sure you have enough area to do push ups and when you do kicks not to hit the TV. You need hand weights. I started with low weight and increased as I felt stronger.
    It doesn't matter what time you workout, what matters is THAT YOU DO IT! It's hard and no fun but if you keep with it you will see results!
    My legs killed at first. It was even hard to get up and down the stairs. But after two or three workouts I was fine and have never been that sore again.
    I've seen great results. I've lost 11 pounds and about 3 inches in my waist and 4 in my hips. My husband says he notices a difference too! :)

Just make sure you have encouragement from those around you ( you always have us on myfitnesspal!) and you push through it when it's the hardest! Not only focus on the weight loss but all the others positive changes. Excersice is great for your heart, it helps with stress, give you more energy and you can be an inspiration for someone else! It is so worth it!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people seem to think that you're supposed to do each level for 30 Days. If that were the case, I think they'd call it 90 Day Shred. It was my understanding, by listening to the beginning of the video tape when Jillian speaks, that you should stay on a level until it is comfortable and then move on to the next. The timeline would depend on each individual's current fitness level. If you do one level too long, you will stop seeing results because the body only changes when it is pushed to do something different. I personally would HATE doing any one thing for 30 days.

I did the program on alternating days with the off days being cardio such as running. I think you need to give muscles (particularly arms) you don't use as often the time to heal when you're sore.

I used 3 lb. weights and ended up moving to 5 lbs. and then used both 5 lb. weights in one hand when isolating one side at a time.

The biggest tip I can give you is to stretch afterward. The cooldown/stretch portion of the video is not enough stretching to keep you from being sore. As long as I did about 15 minutes of stretching afterward, I NEVER got sore but I lost inches. I didn't lose much for pounds, but I could definitely tell the difference in my strength, endurance and how much I could do without gasping. Also, drink enough water before and during the workout to keep you from feeling fatigued.

Have fun with it. Surprisingly, the 20 minutes go fast!
  • biggieshorty
    Options
    I just got the Shred yesterday. I'm going to start today. Mybe we can compare notes and see how we like it.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    1) I did 10 days at level 1, 10 days a level 2 and now have one more day at level 3 left before i finish the 30 days! 10 days at each level was perfect for me, but i know many who take more time (even 30 days) at level one before working up. Some people who are more in shape, will do several levels in one day, But that was too much for me.

2) I usually do the shred about 1.5 hours after dinner. Usually around 7pm for me. Any later and I have great difficiulty getting to sleep. The days that I do it the next morning after doing it the night before, I can not put my all into the program, as i'm still a bit muscle tired. I seem to need most of the 20-24 hours to recover. But you're reading this from a previously non-active person.

3) IThe first 2 days were the worst. It does get better. I also would do it super hard one day, then back off on the weights the next to help myself 'push' but not give up. I was sore in the arms and abs mostly.

4) NO, you don't need much space.

5) It goes by the 30 days that you do it. It may take you 45. I guess it was designed to do 5 days a week, but with the days off not in a row. I have been doing it most days a week (only took 2 days off) and it really is truly forming that workout habit.

6) I saw the best results in the first week. I lost 2.5 inches off my waist and 2 inches else where. My progress for the second 1/2 has been slower. But i've also had some bad eating weekends too.

Wishing you luck! I have been loving it. I feel soooo good after!
  • becky23
    Options
    not 30 days straght of one level
  • becky23
    Options
    haha, for you it might be 10 days straight, Sorry I could have been more clear. I did the shred workout 3 days a week, so I did level 1 for 30 days then switched. I did each level 10 times then switched to the next level and did it for 10 times....
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred. I actually did it every other day. THey suggest doing it every day but your muscles need rest, and you'll see what I mean the day after you start. lol! My but and shoulders hurt the most when I started, might be different for you.

The way you are supposed to do it is do level 1 for 30 days, then level 2 for 30 days...

After I finished the 90 days I went back to level 1 and the next day i did level 2 then 3 with heavier weights just cuz I liked the workouts.

Doesn't matter what time of day, that never matters when you are working out. ALthough I have heard that the later in the day that you workout, the higher your heart rate will go, meaning more calorie burning. It's up to you.
    Where did you find that about doing level 1 for 30 days, and so on? Everything I've read says to do each level for 10 days so that by the end of the 30 days you have gone through each level.
  • junipuni
    Options
    As far as I know (not that it's right) it's Level 1 for 10 days, then level 2, and so on. But I've also seen where you should rest for 2 out of the 7 days but not 2 days in a row.

For me I am doing it 3 days out of the week. I do 1 day of total rest and 1 day of just walking. The other days I do walking and some shorter slim in 6 videos.
  • junipuni
    Options
    not 30 days straght of one level
    oops! I think I was posting while you were updating. Sorry. :)
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I do the Shred every other day with cardio on the days in between. I do a lighter cardio workout on whatever weekend day I'm not doing the Shred.

I was at 217 pounds when I started. I'm now on level 3 and have lost 14 pounds and 4 inches on my waist, 6 inches on my hips, and 6 inches from my bust. I really want to see more gone from my waist but I have kind of a square shape and have never had much of a waist! (sigh!)

I did Level 1 twice, Level 2 once and, as I said, I'm now on level 3. I do admit that because of old knee and leg injuries I have had to modify some of the jumping moves. It is still hard, though, and I'm still seeing results.
    Good luck!