Protein Powder

Options
I have wondered about the use of protein powder. Does most everyone in here use it? I do notice I am often short on protein, but I am also lactose intolerant, so I don't really do smoothies or anything like that too often. Not sure where I would use the powder, or if it's even necessary. Something just feels wrong about not getting the protein from real food. What is the general thought process behind using the powder instead of trying to get enough in the food you eat.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    in most peoples cases you can get enough protein in your diet from things like tuna, salmon, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean meats like that, milk is out in your case but egg whites carry a good deal of protein as well, if you want to get a protein powder get a soy protein so your avoiding lactose. protein powders are for athletes and people who believe in nutrient timing windows and things like that, I myself use protein powder every day. good stuff
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    in most peoples cases you can get enough protein in your diet from things like tuna, salmon, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean meats like that, milk is out in your case but egg whites carry a good deal of protein as well, if you want to get a protein powder get a soy protein so your avoiding lactose. protein powders are for athletes and people who believe in nutrient timing windows and things like that, I myself use protein powder every day. good stuff

why do you want to avoid lactose? Processed soy is just as bad (at least what I have been reading about it)
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I swear by my hemp protein powder shakes. I'm not lactose intolerant, per se, but milk is disgusting... so I use unsweetened almond milk in my shakes, along with frozen berries for thickening, flax meal, and PB2 (which offers even more protein), and some stevia for sweetening. It's a damn tasty shake, and helps get me to the protein goals I'm shooting for without forcing me to eat high volumes or more calories!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    why do you want to avoid lactose? Processed soy is just as bad (at least what I have been reading about it)

Um... because the OP is intolerant?
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have used egg white protein because I am also lactose intolerent. I usually make my proteinwith either Lactaid Milk or Smart Balace Lactose free milk.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Um... because the OP is intolerant?

Lol exactly what I was thinking. Reading comprehension people. Use it
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Nut Milk... that's what I use for my smoothies... a combination of nut milks (I make my own but you can buy them at the groceries) fresh/frozen fruits and dairy free protein powders
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake most every day. Just 1 scoop of whey protein and 8 oz of milk.

My boyfriend is lactose intolerant, so he uses soy milk instead of regular.

I almost never get enough protein because I don't like fish, and I cannot eat enough chicken to make up for it. I could totally live without ever eating chicken again. Not something I particularly care for. I actually love red meat, but I know it has its pitfalls and I limit my intake of that. Also not a huge fan of eggs, so whey protein powder is the way to go for me.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    have you tried isopure?
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast every day because eating before I've been awake for a couple hours is just not going to happen - been there tried that, didnt work out at all - I personally mix my protein powder (whey isolate) with milk but I've also mixed it with water - from what I understand there shouldnt be any issues with lactose intolerance - if there are, there are other types of protein powders out there - without my shakes I would be really hard pressed to get enough protein with just food - I cant eat that much food - and because Im strength training while losing I want the extra protein

Its purely an individual choice if you want to us the protein powders or not - they work for me and for my son - but other people I know - they dont use them at all.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say you shouldn't use it, because from time to time I have used some for convenience sake, but I will say (without getting all sciency) that if you have the ability to eat actual foods you are going to be much better off. Never drink your calories when you can eat them.