Colon Cleansing

Options
So i am starting to think that some of my stubborn abdominal fat is due to the fact that i have really poor digestion. While chatting with a girlfriend last week we got on the topic of cleansing and she said that she has done a colon cleanse a few times from this website.. www.blessedherbs.com. So i am wanting and needing some feedback from all of you on your stories with colong cleanses and your input if you thinks they are good or not. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Cheers

Replies

• KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So i am starting to think that some of my stubborn abdominal fat is due to the fact that i have really poor digestion. While chatting with a girlfriend last week we got on the topic of cleansing and she said that she has done a colon cleanse a few times from this website.. www.blessedherbs.com. So i am wanting and needing some feedback from all of you on your stories with colong cleanses and your input if you thinks they are good or not. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Cheers
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, colon cleansing is a kind of ritualized starving. I would only recommend it for people will really bad digestive problems like really bad IBS, Crohn's, or people who've just been diagnosed with Celiac's, or people with a gluten intolerance that don't quite qualify for Celiac's.

Standard IBS or mild to moderate digestive problems... I wouldn't recommend it.
  • I use Advocare Herbal Cleanse (peaches & cream flavor) every 90 days. This is a gentle 10 day cleanse, that cleans your intestines, liver, kidneys, blood, colon. It's like cleaning the lint trap out of your dryer - your body will work more efficiently because it will have moved the junk out and you will be able to absorb the good nutrition more readily. And with all he sludge gone, you will feel better and have more energy.

Then be sure that you are at least taking a good quality easily asorbable multi vitamin after, not during, the Herbal Cleanse. When we cut back on calories we are cutting back on good nutrition - it's just a given - and our bodies need certain nutrients for energy and to move the fat.

If you already are taking a multi vitamin, is it coated? Drop it in a glass of water and see how long it takes to dissolve - if it is coated it probably will take a ong time, and it most likely is just going right through you and you are literally pouring you money down the drain. The Multi that I take every mornig dissolves immediately; I actually can feel the difference in my energy levels.

I hope this helps
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I"ve "cleansed" in the past and you feel so "good and empty" You do lose some weight but it just comes back.
    This whole colon cleansing just seems like another gimmick to me. More money spent on weight loss secrets. The "secret" to weight loss is eat less and move more. That simple

• Great information - thank you.

To be clear, the Herbal Cleanse that I mentioned in my earlier post is not a colon cleanse. It is 10 days worth of soluble & insoluble fiber drink, probiotics and herbal extracts to help get rid of impurities throughout the body.

These are some of the things that are mentioned in the links that you provided. I am excited to see that Mayo Clinic Drs are seeing encouraging results with the supplements that I use.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i started colonix.

haha, beware, the site does have pictures! :ohwell: but i uh didn't produce results like that. :P

i can't say exactly how well it has worked because i haven't been following it well enough. i DO know that the powder and the pills made me bloat and gave me a stomach ache (not good) as much as they "helped" move things along. probably because 1) i wasn't used to it and 2) i wasn't drinking enough water. i'm on day 6 and things do seem to be better and i have been making a better effort to stay away from processed stuff and drink more water. plus the food is easier on me.

also did the "off/on" test with wheat and flour products.

my stomach goes berserk. oats seem not to be as bad (in moderation) but white flours (which is sad because i'm an excellent bread baker and cake maker) and heavily processed pastas really do me in
    :(

anyway, i won't get into the chemistry of it all, but there's a difference between corn flours, wheat flours, cake flours, barely wheat, etc.

certain properties (like physylum (sp)) in colon cleaning products not only "cleanse" you but make your stools "look" different and if you really want to get into it, spend some time on the computer, research some colon friendly foods, go to the health food store, buy certain vitamins, drink more water, grab some certain foods and have at it for a week...

probably save you $58 bucks :)

i got colonix after being super frustrated, but i'm also watching my diet, too. i also have a family history of IBS (there is no such thing as mild ibs, people!) and an ulcer. i can go up 10 lbs in 2 day and stay that way for a week. for a girl that's 5'2, that's a lot. and it's all in my stomach.

:cry:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Better to see a doctor before self-medicating for any medical problem. There are ways to get more regular before doing anything this drastic. Sometimes slow digestion is the result of a food allergy or intolerance. Or too little exercise. Nothing gets you regular like a good long run or even a long walk - the faster you move, the more you shake things up inside you. Runners actually need to eat less fiber so they don't need to take pit stops.

The only time you really need to clean out your colon is before a colonoscopy. So the doc can get a better view up there. But until you're 50 or so, you don't need to worry about that. When you're 50 you can look forward to cleansing your colon (with yummy castor oil - I do believe) and enemas every year.

As for claims that having no food waste in your body will make it run more efficiently, that's a lot of crap -no play on words intended. If you're not eating right - that is, normally - you'll get that heady feeling that you get from a fast. Ever tried running a few miles on that? How did that feel?

Your body runs most efficiently on carbs. If you need proof of that, find out what top athletes eat when they're training - they don't do colon cleansing. And if any bodies run efficiently, it's world record holding athletes.Think that Lance Armstrong cleanses his colon before the Tour de France? Give me a break.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Three other things that cause fat to build up in the abdomen:

1) smoking
    2) drinking
    3) Depo-Provera

Quitting any of these will lead to a different fat distribution - you'll lose it in the abs before you lose it from the lower body.

Poor digestion will make you bloated, but it won't cause you to systematically grow fat in the abs. If it's bloat, up the fiber to 25, 30 and then 35 grams per day over the course of 3 weeks. Go too fast and you will get gas. Drink more water, And try some exercise where you hit the ground a little harder - running or fast walking do wonders for regularity.
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    I would be weary of any artificial "colon cleansing." Generally, this is something that you want your body to do on its own, naturally. Our body has a delicate system, and beware of something that "forces it clean." The last thing you want is your system out of whack. And even less, a system that may become dependent on an outside source to do the work its supposed to. If there is a problem with a slow system, then maybe it's more fiber that you need. In any case, a doctor is probably who you need to consult with if there is a problem. In the mean time, remember to treat your body kindly, you deserve it.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    well, if you think about it, it takes your body a few days to move things along. just because taco bell gives you the runs doesn't mean that chimichanga you ate 30 mins ago is actutally coming out of your rear even though your stomach was kicking after the first bite. :P

food can make you feel like crap.

if you're female, whacked hormones can also cause fat to pack around your midsection (or just having children, thank you Mother Nature).

estrogen is also stored in fat cells, unfortunately.

try changing your diet. i don't mean just cut calories, i mean change the kinds of foods you eat. some of the most pleasant-tasting foods can be pretty good for you. apples, bananas (for most people), (unsalted, plain), sunflower seeds, plain peanuts, strawberries, watermelon, etc.
  • KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    wow..thanks to all of you that posted in response. It is a lot to take in and i will look at the websites suggested. I follow eating clean pretty religiously. An average days meals for me consist of oatmeal or Go Lean by Kashi in the morning and perhaps a few egg whites or some goat yogurt for protein. Then lunch i have some sort of protein either turkey chicken or seafood and loads of veggies and perhaps a whole grain wrap. Then dinner is more veggies and some sort of protein.. So i know i am not eating crap. Perhaps i am not drinking enough water or i am not eating enough carbs(although the reason i dont is because i am scared that is what makes me pack on the pounds). I am just frusterated because i am dependent upon taking large doses of magnesium to help aid with digestion and dont want to be stuck taking it for the rest of my life. So as i write this i think that perhaps my next step should be to a natural path to see if they can help suggest something that can be a daily thing to help me digest better. will look into it. but then i think perhaps that too is another money trap... anyways i feel like i am at wits end and dont know what my next step should be but i know there needs to be some changes of some sort and soon.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have to agree w/ Yellow Pepper. The human body is made to "de-tox" itself; this is what the liver & kidneys are for. And if one eats a high-fiber, healthy diet, the GI tract will function like a charm. If it doesn't function correctly (normal range for bowel movement is up to 3-4 days some people) even with the healthy diet, this is when a doctor should be consulted.
  • I have to agree w/ Yellow Pepper. The human body is made to "de-tox" itself; this is what the liver & kidneys are for. And if one eats a high-fiber, healthy diet, the GI tract will function like a charm. If it doesn't function correctly (normal range for bowel movement is up to 3-4 days some people) even with the healthy diet, this is when a doctor should be consulted.

What?! 3-4 days? You need to be poopin' EVERY day. If it's not comin' out it's not comin' off!

And who is getting to 20-30 g of fiber without supplementing? That's alot of veggies! I'd like to know your healthy diet that is working like a charm. Sure the human body is made to de-tox itsellf, but really, unless you are growing your own organic foods in your back yard and eating them as soon as you pick 'em, you are getting alot of junk and losing alot of nutrition.

I heard IBS mentioned, gotta be careful with the fiber. Some IBS patients have trouble with fiber. Soluble fiber may be OK, but insoluble fiber just makes things worse. Every one can benefit from Probiotics; they are the good bacteria that we all should have in our GI tract, they chomp up the gunk in the folds of our intestines. But things like antibiotics kill that good flora off and that's when the sludge builds up. People who suffer with IBS do very well with Probiotics. And yes you can get it in yogurt, but how much yogurt do you think you would have to eat, and now add up the calories and fat, not to mention those poor folk with Celiac, IBS, Crohn's or some other form of gluten or dairy intolerance.

Recently, IBS and gluten intolerence has been a hot topic for me. I did some research, you can read about it in my April blog at http://AdvocareTeresaInBeaumont.blogspot.com/. I quote some Nationally recognized Doctors.

There is nothing wrong with supplementing our diets, especially when we are cutting back our intake to cut calories - that also cuts back on nutrition.

Sure our bodies should be able to do it naturally, our Grandparents didn't need this stuff, but our Grandparents weren't super sizing at Mickey D's and sitting at home playing video games.

I hope this is helpful.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have to agree w/ Yellow Pepper. The human body is made to "de-tox" itself; this is what the liver & kidneys are for. And if one eats a high-fiber, healthy diet, the GI tract will function like a charm. If it doesn't function correctly (normal range for bowel movement is up to 3-4 days some people) even with the healthy diet, this is when a doctor should be consulted.

What?! 3-4 days? You need to be poopin' EVERY day. If it's not comin' out it's not comin' off!

And who is getting to 20-30 g of fiber without supplementing? That's alot of veggies! I'd like to know your healthy diet that is working like a charm.

1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal, plus 2/3 cup Nature's Path Smart Bran == 18 grams fiber just for breakfast!!
    one small banana and garden veg soup == 11 grams fiber for lunch!
    An apple, a cup of beans, and half a whole wheat pita bread== another 15 grams!
    So that's 44 grams of fiber, NO supplements. Hmmm.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What an interesting topic. :laugh: I have to say that I am 41 years old and have had constipation problems all of my life and I do mean all of it. Up until my early 30s, going 2-3 weeks without a BM was normal. Then I decided that, that is what was keeping my weight on too. So, I started using laxatives to help out. So, until 3 months ago, I used laxatives about twice a week. Then, I started eating Fiber One cereal, mostly the honey clusters and having an apple in the late morning for a snack and other veggies throughout the day. I have, for the first time in my entire life, been pooing on my own, everyday or every other day for 3 months. Oh, and sometimes for an afternoon snack I'll have a Fiber One bar (oats & chocolate or oats & caramel). They have 9 grams of fiber alone, the cereal has 13 grams of fiber. I just hope my body doesn't become used to this and this doesn't work anymore either. But so far, it's been working great.
  • I have to agree w/ Yellow Pepper. The human body is made to "de-tox" itself; this is what the liver & kidneys are for. And if one eats a high-fiber, healthy diet, the GI tract will function like a charm. If it doesn't function correctly (normal range for bowel movement is up to 3-4 days some people) even with the healthy diet, this is when a doctor should be consulted.

And who is getting to 20-30 g of fiber without supplementing? That's alot of veggies! I'd like to know your healthy diet that is working like a charm.

1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal, plus 2/3 cup Nature's Path Smart Bran == 18 grams fiber just for breakfast!!
    one small banana and garden veg soup == 11 grams fiber for lunch!
    An apple, a cup of beans, and half a whole wheat pita bread== another 15 grams!
    So that's 44 grams of fiber, NO supplements. Hmmm.

That's great - and tasty, too! Thank you.

But I still like to mix my Peaches & Cream fiber drink with my Vanilla Muscle Gain once in a while.

Now, I need some good ideas for protein snacks - I am getting bored with my chicken tenders. :yawn: