Annoying friends and coworkers when you are dieting

Options

Replies

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i would just say, "Well, this works for me. So far so good. I've lost X lbs, how much have you lost?"

I was at the microwave the other day at work and this situation came up. I just said, look, "I've been doing great on my own, I've lost 48 pounds.." He pretended like he never heard me.
  • maritza140
    Options
    That's when my smart@$$ evil twin comes out and says "if I thought you have anything interesting to say I would've asked you for your opinion".
  • mountaincat4
    Options
    The visuals of the story are awesome. Drawing that broadsword, eating the body.... LOL.

stare...just stare at them...force their gaze away like the lowly curr they are, and then once they turn away, draw your broaddsword* and cut off their head and then stand on their prostrate form and howl to the gods of battle, letting the entire office who has laid claim to this kill. Drag the body into your cubicle and then enjoy a high protein, high fat meal for your reward.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    *if your sword is currently at the smith's being repaired from the trials of battle, then pull any weapon your office might have nearby off the wall and do the deed. If you office is lacking in wall mounted weaponry, find a new line of work, something more befitting a warrior.

So THAT's where I went wrong? ;-)
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Let her know you aren't on a "low carb" diet and that its really none of her business how or when you lose weight
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ihave a co worker who constantly asks me why i'm eating rabbit food, because i have a particular love for carrot sticks.

c'est la vie.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When asked, "why are you eating popcorn"? Ask, "Why do you ask"?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    What I have to deal with at work is the once a month birthday cake because every month it's a couple of birthdays and we get the one cake. I either pass or have a small piece and get the "it's just a little cake" when I pass. They then let it drop...

My bother makes fun of my constant check-ins at the gym, but in the same way he's made fun of anything I've ever done since we were kids, just standard older brother jerk stuff.

Everyone else, everywhere has been supportive. In fact when my brother isn't busting my balls he's actually telling me how well I've done.

My manager at work does occasionally ask me how much more weight I plan on losing. When I last said 20 pounds she said "So that makes 80, awesome!"
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just reassure them that I know what I'm doing and know what's best for me. My co worker told me that I will have to workout for the rest of my life. I simply told her that I wasn't planning on stopping. Most people are insecure with them selves and have to comment on everything they do. Simply because they are falling at what they are attempting to do.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yeah... this is annoying. Luckily I don't have to deal with this from many coworkers. In fact, I have largely the opposite issue, where they bring in sweets and extra foods I'm trying to avoid and instead of leaving them in the breakroom for people to scavenge, they bring them around to everyone. They don't, THANKFULLY, just stick them on your desk most of the time, but they do argue with you when you turn it down. I had the same guy who's always giving me unasked for advice on health food (I'll eat what I want for MY diet, thank you) try to force a mini cupcake on me when I was already over calories because "It's only 90 cals"

Well, he's not the guy I would go to for an accurate calorie count and I don't know what's in those cupcakes so you can just take no for an answer, mister!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The next time they bring junk food to your desk, try this!

stapler_zps5e64a767.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    How do you get people like this off or your back? I hate the critiques, judgements, and unsolicited advice. btw...most of the people giving it don't exactly look like Jillian Michaels. I want to say this, but I don't want to be tooo rude.

In a condescending tone: "Ah, bless your heart - you really think that's how it works?"
  • destinee1103
    destinee1103 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OMG I deal with crap on a daily basis here at work my coworkers that I talk to more like friends they eat out EVERYDAY AND I DO MEAN EVERYDAY they have donuts 2 or 3 days out of the week they always offer if i want to go eat with them 9 out of 10 times i say NO NO NO NO so they bring the food back to work and i join them and they make comments about my food... IS THAT ALL UR EATING, OMG MY FOOD IS MUCH BETTER, GIRL U NEED MORE FOOD, GRRRRR so one day I nicely asked them not to tell me when they eat out I dont want to know and I eat in my office and problem solved :drinker:
  • destinee1103
    destinee1103 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [lmao good one]
    The next time they bring junk food to your desk, try this!

stapler_zps5e64a767.jpg
    [/quote]
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I ignore them. If they comment on my weight loss I will thank them and then maybe tell them that I am dieting. And when treats are offered I just decline. I'll even ask for fruit in a meeting if all I see is high calorie pastries. And to reward myself I'll take two pieces of fruit. Like water off a duck, ignore them.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So, I just made myself some popcorn for a snack at work. A coworker of mine chimes in when she smells it and yells that it smells good and wants to know why I am eating it. I tell her it is low calorie and full of fiber. She replies that it is full of carbs and if I was REALLY on a diet or trying to get in shape that I wouldn't be eating it. What do you do when people say stuff like this to you? I feel that I should have never told anyone what I was doing. But it is the only way to shut down the request to go to lunch, have a slice of b-day cake, etc. How do you get people like this off or your back? I hate the critiques, judgements, and unsolicited advice. btw...most of the people giving it don't exactly look like Jillian Michaels. I want to say this, but I don't want to be tooo rude.

"It's a whole grain with very low calories. I don't subscribe those low carb fad diets."
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm the tallest and the heaviest woman working in my office. There are five other women, all at least a decade older than me, and one guy. The one guy is the only person who outweighs me (I'd say by a good 80lbs) and is about an inch taller. Now, surprisingly, none of the women are catty or mean. They are all supportive since most of them are on their own journey to well being and so no one judges me when I choose to eat a piece of the Halloween candy, or if I'm eating Chipotle one day because I can. Now, it's the guy that's bigger than me that's the problem.

He "juices" twice a day because supposedly that's how you lose weight. By getting all the good stuff in all in one disgusting high calorie high sugar (albiet natural sugar) drink. BUT then he goes and eats tons of Halloween candy, gets fast food the other two meals a day, and generally eats crap because juicing once is supposed to outweigh it. When I said no to a bagel one day the women were just fine but he was trying to tell me to just eat it in secret then no one knows I was breaking my diet and it wouldn't matter. He offers me candy ALL the time and I am constantly saying no. Is it annoying? Of course. But he's also from a culture where people share food. I know there is nothing I could say or do to this man to make him understand. So I grew up and I deal with it. Is it rustrating and difficult not to cave all the time? OF COURSE! But that's life, that's the real world. People are stupid and mean and you just ahve to live your life how you want to, regardless of the bumps in the road.

woah long winded. sorry!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    since I haven't eaten meat since I was 12, I've had to undergo these food nazis my entire life. people constantly ask me how I get my protein, express concern for plant sufferring, try to describe the food chain or just conclude that my diet is unhealthy. of course, none of these people really care about where I get my protein and obviously don't track their own protein, fat, calories, etc., but just like to act like an expert on something they know nothing about. now that i'm focusing more on being fit and not going out to eat with my coworkers they have another thing to constantly question and comment on. i think its a combination of stupidity and just trying to justify their terrible diets to themselves.

i feel for you girl- just roll your eyes and ignore them!
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    since I haven't eaten meat since I was 12, I've had to undergo these food nazis my entire life. people constantly ask me how I get my protein, express concern for plant sufferring, try to describe the food chain or just conclude that my diet is unhealthy.

And of course, the perennial "But what do you eat at Christmas?????" I've had almost 30 years of that one!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just throw 'em one of these:

2rglsmv.jpg
    so funny!