100% raw vegan dieters
How are your weight loss results?

Pros & cons?

Most importantly what are you eating on a daily basis

Replies

• gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not purely vegan- sometimes I do eat an egg or a muffin that has egg. Although for most of the days I eat no animal products.
    But usually my diet is : beans of all sorts, quinoa, veggies, soy, nuts. Feel free to look into my diary.
  • lenaelkins
    Options
    Veganism is awesome for weight loss. I was vegetarian for about six years before switching to veganism, and since then I've continued to lose weight. I did it purely for dieting/health reasons; I didn't want to be stuck calorie counting the rest of my life and was looking for other ways to maintain my weight. When eating a plant-based diet (fresh veggies & fruits, whole grains, legumes, ect.), it's difficult to gain weight, because the foods you're restricted to are naturally very low calorie, and you're not consuming processed foods like you might on a vegetarian or regular diet.

I recommend reading "Skinny *****" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, and "Veganist" by Cathy Frenston - these books are two of my most convincing arguments for the vegan case regarding health/weight loss.

Good luck! And feel free to add me :)
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am not a raw vegan (maybe some day, I'm looking into it) but from what I hear it's very good for weight loss. Just remember to focus on the fruits and veggies and NOT on the fancy gourmet nut stuff from the dehydrator. The extra fat often hinders loss, from what I can tell, because some raw vegans eat quite a lot of it. Much more than most people tend to think.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am vegan but not raw...just be careful because some foods (like mushrooms) are toxic if eaten uncooked.

Also I am definately in the eat too much grain/ nuts category. I love me creamy dressings :)
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find the statement about mushrooms a little odd. I have always eaten mushrooms raw on salads, etc. Am I missing something?
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • ScarletElizabeth
    Options
    I too read the book called "Skinny B***h" and it is such a great book revealing what really happens in all these meat factories! I was also wondering, what great breakfasts do you guys have? I'm all out of ideas! I've tried all the basics... e.g. Fruit/Cereal/Soy Milk - any ideas? :)
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OP (if you're still out there), I'm vegan, but not raw, though I've had raw meals and own a dehydrator and whatnot. Raw can be good for weight loss since you're not eating wheat and potatoes and that kind of stuff, but as was mentioned, you do have to be careful about the nuts. I've had a few "high raw" meals at restaurants where every dish, including the beverage, had nuts and it was very rough on my digestive system. Most raw foodies I've met incorporate some cooked vegan food into their diets, especially when eating out, or are no longer raw. I know many raw foodists are in the "humans don't need much protein camp", which is fine, but if you want to consume a,lot of protein, it is difficult on the raw diet without consuming a lot of nuts and seeds. There probably aren't many/any raw foodists on here because they don't need MFP- they are already thin!
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too read the book called "Skinny B***h" and it is such a great book revealing what really happens in all these meat factories! I was also wondering, what great breakfasts do you guys have? I'm all out of ideas! I've tried all the basics... e.g. Fruit/Cereal/Soy Milk - any ideas? :)

What helped me for breakfast was to let go of the concept of "breakfast." There are certainly many vegan/easily veganizable American breakfast foods out there: cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, muffins, bagels, fruit. However, most are carb-heavy and are not always filling. Then there are the vegan takes on breakfast foods: tofu scrambles, tofu omlets, tempeh bacon, seitan sausage, vegan cream cheese. These can be filling, reasonably healthy and add variety. However, I got to the point where I thought, "What makes a tofu scramble more appropriate for breakfast than a tofu stir fry?" They are essentially the same. I still enjoy "breakfast" foods, but now I'll change it up and have chili, or tacos, or a hummus sandwich for breakfast. Sometimes I'll just have a sweet potato, kale, and beans. My boyfriend is Mexican and grew up eating beans and tortillas for breakfast; many cultures eat soups or stews or beans for breakfast, why can't we?

If you're dead set on "breakfast" foods for breakfast, I like the cookbook Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She also has some brunch recipes on her blog theppk.com. If you are really missing something from your non-vegan days of breakfast, just search for a vegan recipie online. Just last week I found a really tasty, reasonably low-cal vegan pancake recipie that uses oats and bananas by googling "healthy vegan pancake".