Muscle ache with new exercise?

Options
Ok I started 30ds only yesterday and I loved it.

I am hurting a lot today and it feels great to hurt for a change after exercise, I don't mind that.

It's just, it is very painful and I find it hard to even pick up some things, so should I go ahead and do day 2, or interval a day and then continue?

What is best for your body???

Replies

• Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you're really in pain, I would take a day off. Maybe try going for a brisk walk though.
    I always tell this to people and it works- eat pineapple for sore muscles!!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Take a day off and do some light cardio. The walking is a good suggestion.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just started 30ds too and after the first day (I only had 5lbs weights) I was so sore......

The day after I drank lots of water, did some stretching, took 2 ibuprophin and a hot bath and felt much better. After that initial soreness I was fine but haven't started phase II yet.

Hang in there.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I am hurting a lot today and it feels great to hurt for a change after exercise, I don't mind that.

It's just, it is very painful and I find it hard to even pick up some things, so should I go ahead and do day 2, or interval a day and then continue?

If the program is designed to do on consecutive days then I'd go ahead and do it provided you can tolerate the pain. Once you get warmed up and the blood starts flowing the pain will likely reduce considerably (if it's DOMS).
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do a better job at stretching (2-3x minimum on the day you do it) drink a lot more water. If you can't do it the next day, even after I say something like "quit being a little girl and do it!' then do a warm up, some dynamic stretches (jumping jacks, lunges..) and try to do some similar moves to what you did for whatever workout made you sore.

I've never done 30DS, but my example is this: Do a weight lifting routine involving bench press.. next day arms are sore, so I go for my normal run, then do some pushups. Similar muscle activation, with less weight/exertion.
  • kiselev33
    kiselev33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take a day "off", but that doesn't mean sitting on the couch. That means light cardio (brisk walk or even light jog), stretching, roll the hurting muscles out with the foam roller, contrast shower. And then tomorrow you can resume with the day two. Aching muscles are good, it means something is working :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I've always carried on even when I hurt coz I found once I got into it, it actually helped me but that's just my opinion
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm all for doing some exercise, but I don't think I can go ahead with this programme till tomorrow.... I can barely bend my arm out without being in a lot of pain. I don't think I'm being a 'little girl', just doing what is right by my body, thanks. :)

Thanks for the replies and I will try some of the suggestions.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Is it actual ' pain' or just soreness?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd take a Vitamin I and keep on keepin' on. That's just me though..........
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband has done the P90X and insanity workouts, and has just started doing the P90X a second time. The programs tell you to have a protein shake within 30 minutes of ending your workout, and it helps to keep you from getting sore. A trainer at the gym I go to said the same thing.

For what it's worth....might be worth a try....
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options

If the program is designed to do on consecutive days then I'd go ahead and do it provided you can tolerate the pain. Once you get warmed up and the blood starts flowing the pain will likely reduce considerably (if it's DOMS).

^^This. They know you'll be sore, but unless it is joint pain or something, you will honestly feel better once you've been moving for about 5-10 min. The stiffness and soreness will go away.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Post workout protein can help as can replenishing your electrolytes (potassium, magnesium) as it can facilitate muscle repair. Also, make sure you are eating more calories (especially protein based ones) as this will also help mitigate soreness.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I remember after the first day of my summer volleyball camps I could barely sit down, but my coaches said the best thing for sore muscles is to work them out. Sure enough after day two I felt better. I say push through the pain (without injury of course) even if you don't do 30DS, do something else that will workout the soreness.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    This might sound strange but I would do the workout again but with lighter weights or no weight at all.

From my experience, if I do the same workout again, it helps target those muscles and works some of the soreness out.

Afterward, spent some extra time stretching and do drink a lot of water! If you have a yoga DVD, it would be nice to follow up with it too.:flowerforyou:
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    i think u r not in pain but it is called as muscle failure.......google for it.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_to_failure
    Its a excellent thing to have.......take a break for a day or two n continue.............:smile:
  • bornfreehooves
    Options
    Do it! Yesterday was my second day. I plan on keeping it up - straight through. I found that actually "doing" the exercise on the second day was easier for me than all the "oh I don't think I can do it because I'm so sore" thoughts I had all day.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Muscles like water - helps flush out the lactic acid build up stored within your fibers :flowerforyou:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If it's just pain from a hard workout....and not serious back pain, knee pain etc....then I go ahead and work through it. I find it always helps me.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if the pain is not crippling, it's better to work it out by NOT skipping the next day. It will actually help loosen up those muscles. If it's to the point you are having trouble walking or moving, then take a day, do some walking & stretches and resume the next day. It DOES get easier, I promise!