Boston Marathon?

Options
Is there anyone out there like me? Qualifying for the Boston Marathon is on my bucket list. I ran a lot when I was young and thin, but didn't run at all for about 20 years (and added 60 pounds). I returned to running about 4 years ago and have dropped about 25 pounds, and have finished a bunch of half marathons and 2 full marathons. But I'm still not even close to fast enough for a Boston qualifier. I need to trim at least 60 seconds per mile off of my distance pace to make the number, which will be 3:35 on my next birthday.

I just mapped out a crazy, long-term plan (58 weeks long) where I lose 25 more pounds, with 4 halfs and 2 fulls, culminating in a race next December. That's the race that I am trying to peak for - the race where I want that BQ time. There's a lot of work to do, and a lot of pounds to shed, before that is more than a pipe dream. But I work better with crazy goals.

Anyway, I'm not looking for any advice (yet). Just wanted to know if anyone else out there is shooting for Boston, too. Maybe we can keep each other motivated.

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! That was on my list too until they changed the qualifications :(
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Good luck, sounds like you have a great focus. I'm sure you will make it
  • karenfaber
    karenfaber Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started running almost 5 years ago and always joked "I'll qualify for Boston when I'm 80". I just turned 45 so my BQ time is 3:55. Last year my PR was 4:26, set in January. I got injured in May, and I didn't do a good job of coming back from that - kept trying to do too much too soon. Last October I ran a marathon in St. Louis in 5:02, and two more before the end of the year even slower - even set a new personal worst of 5:36. I'd gained about 15 pounds and I could no longer break 5 hours (my first marathon in 2008 was 4:59, so this was hard to accept).

On January 1 of this year I ran a 5K - it was the first time ever I couldn't finish under 30 minutes. I decided that day to lose weight. I lost 32 pounds from then through June and have maintained since then. I noticed as I lost weight and ran more miles, I was crushing my PRs at every distance (5K from 25 minutes to 22, 10K from 55 minutes to 48, half marathon from 1:59 to 1:52, etc.). I PRd at the Pocono Marathon in May, running it in 4:11 (15 minute PR).

Over the summer I upped my mileage (training for a 50 mile trail race which I completed in August) and was still PR-ing even in the hot, humid summer months. So I decided to go for another big PR and try to qualify for Boston this past weekend in Detroit. I ended up with a 19 minute PR, finishing in 3:52:26 and getting that BQ!!!!

The reason I'm sharing this is because if I can do it, I know others can as well. I was amazed at the difference weight loss made in my running. I mean, it makes sense if you think about it, but seeing it actually happen has made this year of running absolutely phenomenal for me. I've read losing a pound equals 1-2 seconds per mile in speed, and in my case that has been true. So while your goal may seem "crazy" right now, it is totally obtainable if you put in the work. Good luck!
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Needing a 3:10 which will go up next year to 3:15 time the Only way I'm qualifying is having someone run for me!
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is on my bucket list.. But first I have to start running 1/2's and fulls.. I'm only started running 16ks.. but i've only been running for 6 months.. and never did any running as a kid...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Before even thinking about qualifying for Boston I need to do my first full marathon (signed up for Ottawa next May) at my current age group I'd have to run a 3:40 (which may be ambitious). My strategy is to keep going until my time catches up with my age group! :laugh:

(You laugh....this strategy worked at a duathlon this past summer, I won my AG and was last at the same time!)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am running my first full marathon in a few weeks and have two on the deck for 2013. I think its a bit too soon for me to aim for a BQ. I would need to run a 3:40.

It would be awesome though!

Go for it! With proper training you can do it!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm 26. I did my first marathon this year (3:33:58) and I would need a 3:05 to qualify for Boston. I live here so it's not the be all, end all -- I assume I will actually run Boston before I actually qualify for the race.

I think I can definitely chop off a significant amount of time, but I'm not sure if I can I get that low...
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What race are you planning for your BQ? Hope it's a nice flat course!

I can't run, but I walk half marathons and I walked the Little Rock Marathon earlier this year. I think that may have been my one and only full marathon! Back to halfs, have one this Saturday.

Good luck. Do you hand out at the Runners World boards? they are great!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/.0
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    My goal is Boston as well. My first marathon I finished in 3:57 and I need under 3:35 to qualify. I have another marathon in March but I don't think I will be ready by then... I am a work in progress though and determined to make it to Boston someday.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to jump into the full marathons . . . yet. They are calling me, but I'm resisting as of yet. My PR for a half is 1:48. . . not sure if I'll ever be ready to do a full, but if I do, knowing me, I'll want to get a BQ time right out of the gate (which is clearly unrealistic!) So, I wish you all the best in acheiving that BQ!!!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've walked it twice, but will not likely ever qualify to run it. You can also run it if you fundraise for it though. I don't have the details, but I know it's an alternative route to getting a bib.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    ive only ran one marathon and it was 4:36 and i trained 6 months, so its something ive thought of , but need to find time for the training and see where im at.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    not sure if it's a dream or if I'll ever be able to make it come true but running a marathon is on my to do list - just have a few goals to get in before I tackle that one - right now I'm happy to walk 5k - forget about running it. But a girl can dream - and you have to have a goal to work towards. You seem to have the determination to make it come true so good luck! Maybe someday I'll see you in Boston!
  • stephanieseaward
    stephanieseaward Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I qualified twice but got pregnant shortly after each time. So I have yet to run Boston. :(

I just had a baby 4 weeks ago and am running my next marathon this coming May. So fingers crossed that I can qualify again and run it in 2014.

I decided to motivate and to believe in myself by booking an apartment now in Boston for 2014. If I act like it is going to happen.....then maybe it will??

I have qualified by just a few minutes each time but ran both of those races on really hilly routes. I am doing a flat, fast race this time.

Good luck to you! I have heard that it is truly life changing.
  • pazzypunk
    pazzypunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to qualify before I turn 34 and the time starts going up. :) I'm 27 today, and I've run 4 marathons in the past 13 months. My fastest one was 4:28, and as a woman, I need to run 3:35 or better to qualify, which means I need to drop almost 2 minutes per mile off my time.

Hence why I want to lose another 16 pounds. :)

It's an ambitious goal but I know I can do it! I started running two years ago and lost about 40 pounds. I blog about it at pattieruns.com.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I just qualified on Sunday. I ran 3:12:20 at the Baystate Marathon. I needed to run 3:25:00 to qualify for the 2014 race, so I had a lot of room to spare. This was a 14 minute PR for me. I got there by running a LOT of slow, easy, aerobic miles.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just qualified on Sunday. I ran 3:12:20 at the Baystate Marathon. I needed to run 3:25:00 to qualify for the 2014 race, so I had a lot of room to spare. This was a 14 minute PR for me. I got there by running a LOT of slow, easy, aerobic miles.

Great job!

how is baystate?

My next attempt is Shamrock in March 2013. I will be training for a 3:30 (need a 3:40). After 7 attempts, I finally made it this Spring with about 3 1/2 min cushion. Like Carson, there were a lot of easy miles in there plus a lot of quality workouts. I normally ran about 60 mpw.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A site that might help is runyourbq.com

There is plenty of information there about how to train to bq.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's on the bucket list. Given I'm rebuilding from knee surgery and actually enjoying success at 5k racing right now, it's probably a few years before I really get back into marathoning. Unlike some of the other goals i have (5k time thresholds), BQ scales with age, so being in my 50s now doesn't necessarily make it more out of reach when I'm older. I assume I'll BQ someday when I focus on it.

FWIW, marathon success is a combination of training and learning mentally how to handle the race. A good plan that gives you wise increases in training intensity and just enough opportunity to learn from race day is a most efficient method to get there (or so I've been told by people who met success in that goal)

Hi karenfaber!!!! Loved your finish line photo. (From elsewhere, not here).