Creatine users.

Options
2»

Replies

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i used it all through college....i was a lot stronger on it but not near as lean........just my experience i have friends who take it who are strong and ripped could have been my diet back then...all ive taken for last few years is just protein and diet and besides being not quite as strong i cant justify the money for a little gain in strength
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've taken Creatine off and on for the last 4 years and have never had any issues with bloating. If you buy a good creapure Creatine Monohydrate and drink A LOT of water (2-3 liters/day) you shouldn't have any issues.

Take 3-5 grams a day, anytime of the day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I find it amusing that you assume that every person's body is identical in it's needs for...well...anything.

I'd be wary taking any advice off this guy. You can't apply something you've read somewhere once to every situation and to do so is quite ignorant.

you are right. Don't take my advice. But I do take the advice of Alan Aragon and the guy with Leangains. So, like I said, you are gonna do what you want, but for me, more than 5g a day is just wasting it.

edit to change 20 to 5
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

you are right. Don't take my advice. But I do take the advice of Alan Aragon and the guy with Leangains. So, like I said, you are gonna do what you want, but for me, more than 5g a day is just wasting it.

exactly.
    5 grams is enough to saturate the muscles for most people and do the trick.

loading creatine is beyond stupid
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    (side note: I love that i'm 5'4 and wear pink bows in my hair and truck drivers ask me who is the GUY who off loads their truck with the forklift and then I jump on the forklift. The look on their faces is priceless!)

That's awesome! :heart:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The water is stored in muscle tissue, so it makes you look more muscular, not more fat. I think creatine usage is accounting for 8-10 lbs of my weight right now.

you should drink more water then.........

if you stop taking creatine and lose 10 pounds, something isn't right.

Well i didnt stop and lose weight, but when i started taking it AND eating more than 100 carbs per day AND eating more in general but what still should have been maintenance or below, I gained 11 lbs total in 3 weeks.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Well i didnt stop and lose weight, but when i started taking it AND eating more than 100 carbs per day AND eating more in general but what still should have been maintenance or below, I gained 11 lbs total in 3 weeks.

yeah I can see that.
    If I carb up I'm easily 4 pounds heavier within a day. So that with more food overall and creatine would definitely give you a quick 10.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

yeah I can see that.
    If I carb up I'm easily 4 pounds heavier within a day. So that with more food overall and creatine would definitely give you a quick 10.

Yeah the cool thing was the .5" in arm circumference (yes, I'm geeking on arm size)
  • So my next question is.. The days I do intense cardio, do I take it then also?
  • (side note: I love that i'm 5'4 and wear pink bows in my hair and truck drivers ask me who is the GUY who off loads their truck with the forklift and then I jump on the forklift. The look on their faces is priceless!)

That's awesome! :heart:
    I know! The guys I see on a weekly schedule love me. I guess I'm a nice change from the usual cranky guys they get.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The number going up after being so strict scared me. I use to have issues with the scale the first time I lost weight. This time i'm doing everything properly but then to see a gain in such a sort time was upsetting. I don't want to stop taking it if this is normal, but how will I know?

If the scale is mentally devastating to you, taking creatine is probably not a good idea.

Creatine is unnecessary. It can be helpful, but the magnitude of the helpfulness isn't all that great. Creatine isn't steroids. Its helpful for people who strength train in the same way that eating pasta is the night before a distance race is for runners. Basically superchaging your primary fuel source for the activity. Your set to set recovery will improve a bit, you might be able to eek out another rep here or there.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    So my next question is.. The days I do intense cardio, do I take it then also?

5g\day every day at any time of day
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    So my next question is.. The days I do intense cardio, do I take it then also?

Original question - yeah, it's water, don't worry about it. I think I gained 3 lbs the first two weeks I took it (doing a loading phase), but everything after that was totally normal. I went off it for two weeks and didn't load the next time, and didn't notice any weight gain. I usually take 3g/day.

Second question - yes, take it every day. The point is to get it into your muscles, where it hangs around until you need it. You don't need to take it at a special time (like x hours before/after your workout), just be consistent.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

I take creatine (around 10g - 20g day) - how long have you been lifting? Have you noticed an increase in strength/endurance since starting?

I have been doing P90X for a few years off and on but this round I thought maybe creatine would be a good boost. I honestly haven't really noticed a big difference I started taking it.

That's because you're doing P90X. If you were doing some kind of barbell strength routine, hypertrophy routine, etc, then you'd likely see a difference.