c25k Question - Anyone a Genuine Convert?

Options
124»

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I didn't care what they said about humans being natural runners I was never good at it and was always slow or last and struggled to run even a quarter of a mile without walking. I had long since given up on trying running as my lifestyle exercise and didn't think at 40+ I would ever try it again until I read about the C25K program. Now I love it, I started to enjoy it after my third week, I'll admit it takes me longer than a week to master each phase of the program but even with repeating weeks I could tell it was helping. I now run a solid 22 mintues, a personal lifetime best, and am starting on week 7, 25 minutes of solid running, tonight.

One of the other positive side effects for me is that when I went to the gym, my kids and husband were usually at home, but when I run I have a route in my neighborhood so the kids sometimes go with me and my husband has actually started C25K too.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just completed week one, and I'm already turning lol. I read another thread about running yesterday, and it clicked in my head. Slow down, and control your breathing! I did that yesterday and I completed my run no problem, and it felt awesome!!! I'm so excited I think I'm going to run again today. Normally I walk the other days, but I want to see how far I can push myself.

I usually find too, on the days I'm feeling blah, and don't want to do it once I'm out there I'm so glad I did. I run outside after work before I pick my son up from daycare. It clears my head. I even noticed I have more patience with him, than I normally would. And this is only after 2 weeks of running. :wink:
  • kniedner
    Options
    I am also on week 8 of the C25K program. Before this the last time I had run 1 mile was in high school gym class when I had to. I started walking 3 miles a day for a few weeks before starting the program and during the first 2 weeks I though I was going to die running 1 or 2 minutes. Each week I thought to myself "how can I ever do this. I'll never make it." Somehow I made it through each run/walk and then as the other poster said the day I had to run 20 minutes without stopping I had anxiety about it for days thinking how am I ever going to do this but again I did it and it was the best feeling. Now I'm on week 8 and running 2.75 miles and I'm registered to run my first 5K in 2.5 weeks. I love the feeling of satisfaction I get from going just a little faster or a little farther each time and I love how I feel after a run. I actually find myself thinking about running and looking forward to my next run now. I am definitely a convert. I had tried starting the C25K program a few times in the past and failed. I think the reasons I failed were that I started too fast trying to push myself too hard and ended up with shin splints. Also, in the past I was running on a treadmill which I despise. This time I concentrated on slowing down a bit in the beginning and I am running outside. I love running outside (even running the same route can be a little different every day) and now will only run on and indoor track or treadmill if there is absolutely no way I can get a run in outside.
  • AndyC25K
    Options
    Started c25k this morning. I want to become a runner!
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOVE C25K. I couldn't even run a block without crying for 30 minutes. Now I am up to 9 miles at a 9:00 mile pace. I have even used it with my 12 yo daughter and 10 yo son, and the other day they completed 6 miles in 1:13, which was pretty impressive, and have run 30 miles this month. So yup, definitely a convert.

I just started my three kids 9, 10, and 13 on it yesterday--glad to see your kids have completed and exceeded it!! Thank goodness I've been running because I don't think I could be starting it for myself and trying to keep them motivated!
  • Beki_87
    Beki_87 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I'm currently on week 8 on c25k and I'm definitely a convert! At first I couldn't run for a minute without feeling awful and I hated it, but I stuck at it.

What changed it for me was that first 20 minute run at the end of week 5. I was dreading it, I thought "how on earth can I go from running 8 minutes in a row to 20?!" but when I heard that beep I literally jumped up and down! I couldn't believe I had done it, and felt like I could have gone on much longer! It was a great feeling.

I love running outside, I've never run on a treadmill and I'm dreading it now the weather and nights are closing in. Even if it's a bit wet and windy, it's not awful and I find it's a great time to just have to yourself and it really clears my head.

Get some good tunes going, wave to as many people you pass as possible (they will start waving back eventually lol) and relax in to your stride and pace.

Just my 2 cents :)

I literally could have written this!! I think that 20min run at the end of week 5 does a lot for your confidence - I jumped up and down in the street when I done it....until I realised I was getting some queer looks...

Now I'm even starting to love running in the rain!! Its madness but I cant wait to go for my run tonight now :-D Keep it up and you will get there - I think running is very addictive!! xx

Agree with all of this! :) I completed C25K a few weeks ago, and have run two 5ks since then getting my time down from 37minutes to 34:21- I was so suprised. I intend to aim for 30mins by Christmas! It's such an amazing feeling to see what you can achieve when you truly thought you were incapable. I have asthma and hated running at school, but now I've found it's actually helped my asthma improve and it no longer affects me as much.

And l like running in the dark and the rain too- bought some high vis stuff the other week, I was so excited! lol :)

My blog if anyone is interested:
    http://misswheezy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/race-for-life-twilight-5k.html
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Hi, I'm currently on week 8 on c25k and I'm definitely a convert! At first I couldn't run for a minute without feeling awful and I hated it, but I stuck at it.

What changed it for me was that first 20 minute run at the end of week 5. I was dreading it, I thought "how on earth can I go from running 8 minutes in a row to 20?!" but when I heard that beep I literally jumped up and down! I couldn't believe I had done it, and felt like I could have gone on much longer! It was a great feeling.

I love running outside, I've never run on a treadmill and I'm dreading it now the weather and nights are closing in. Even if it's a bit wet and windy, it's not awful and I find it's a great time to just have to yourself and it really clears my head.

Get some good tunes going, wave to as many people you pass as possible (they will start waving back eventually lol) and relax in to your stride and pace.

Just my 2 cents :)

Exactly this! I'm even on week 8! I love it. Went for a two mile run last night at 11pm and it felt great!!! In the beginning I was dying after the 1 minute intervals!
  • texnurse
    texnurse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started c25K in July, finished in September, ran my first 5K and run approx 3-4 miles a day now. There are days I LOVE running, and days where I just can't do it, don't want to do it and can't tolerate running more than 5 min. I just listen to my body. The hardest part is getting out the front door, my addiction is the feeling I get after I run, there is nothing like it!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    I finished C25K, and I absolutely love it :D

I just started Five to 10K, and everyday I look forward to my run!!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Another convert here.

After years of saying, "I can't run, I have bad knees" I did C25K last fall. I'm still pretty slow, but I've done a 5k mud run, a 5k race, and have another mud run coming up this weekend.

I took today off since I'm riding my bike to town today to have lunch with a friend, and I have to say I am having an incredibly cranky day. Running is a great stress reliever for me - I should have gone this morning. My day will get better though, I've got my bike ride in an hour, and I'll run this afternoon with my daughter to get ready for the mud this weekend.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 day 3 and I'm getting to like it more and more everyday as I progress further. I stalled a bit right before I was supposed to do the dreaded week 5 day 3, 20 minute run. I was dreading it thinking I'd never be able to do it, so I repeated the other days multiple times.

Finally, I decided to try it and said to myself if I get too winded I will just walk a bit of it. I was able to do it no problem and I was so excited that I could actually run that long without stopping. It helped me build a lot of confidence towards running for 25 minutes straight which is where I am at now. I'm also very excited to start week 8 when it moves up to 28 minutes of jogging.

So yes, I am coming to love running. I've never before looked forward to going to exercise. I try to do my run every second day as is recommended but sometimes I just want to do it on multiple days. But I have to realize that I'm still just beginning, not conditioned yet and I don't want to get an injury so I wait...
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started c25k hating running and ended up LOVING running? How long did it take to reach there? What did you do?

Yes. Seven months. I just kept running.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started running about 6 weeks ago. Started with the C25k, but only got to W2D3 because from day one I would always run as long as I could after I finished each 30-minute session. By the end of W2D3, I was running a full 45 minutes, so I didn't bother completing the program.

I, too, hid behind the "bad knees" excuse. But, I go slow and take it easy, and so far it hasn't been a problem. I am VERY addicted to running at this point!!! I have to force myself to ONLY do it every other day!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I did!

I LOVE running... but I've never graduated C25K. In fact I can only do week one. Been doing week one for like two years. ): I just keep getting injured before I can progress and honestly I like week one so why change?

:D
  • kniedner
    Options
    I started c25k 1 year ago. Prior to that the last time I had run a mile was in high school gym class when I was made to do it. Now I run 3-4 days a week and I just did my first 1/2 marathon this past Sunday. It was the week that I had to run 20 minutes without stopping that made me realize that I could actually be a runner. Now I actually look forward to and enjoy my runs.