Insanity beginner

Options
Hey MFP,

I am on day 2 of Insanity and I am definitely NOT in shape. I have to stop a least 5 times through and today I couldn't push to the end so I missed the last 10 minutes of the workout. I know if I keep at it I will build muscle and be able to last longer but will I see drastic results like I have seen other peoples before/afters? I am at my heaviest weight of a whopping 176 lbs. :( I really would like to be at 120 by Spring Break '13..just some help needed. Thanks!!

Replies

• 13pointUNO
    Options
    I can't tell you that you'll see drastic results, but I can tell you that you should push yourself to get through what you can get through...even if it's 50 breaks. It sure beats doing nothing at all! You can do it....good luck!
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for doing insanity. I did month one with my bf, and were are waiting until Nov 12 to restart and do it all the way through. I was seeing great results with it so id say keep it up and even if you have to break 19339 times... at least your doing it!
  • karmaology
    Options
    Keep going! I know taking breaks can seem like a bit of a downer but you gotta do what works for YOU. You will get better at it. Keep on keepin' on :wink:
  • OnMyWay4
    OnMyWay4 Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm about to start my THIRD round of Insanity right now and I still stop to take breaks!! LOL!
  • chelsey728
    chelsey728 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i don't have a before and after yet but the first time i tried insanity i stopped after 2.5 weeks... i restarted the program recently & just started my 4th week... i love it! it's still hard & i've heard month 2 is even harder. i wear a HRM to make sure i'm actually pushing myself. sometimes i think i'm working hard but look at my HRM & my heart rate isn't in the range so i know i need to step it up. this may just be my opinion, but I feel like a lot of insanity is mental... if you can push through it it's a great feeling. i've only dropped about 3lbs so far but i've dropped 2.5 inches in my hips, 2.5 inches in my waist, 1.5 inch on each leg so it's definitely been beneficial so far... feel free to add me for support! just make sure to mention insanity in the friend request... good luck & you can do it!
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Keep going.

Look at the persons doing the workout in the DVD. They are sweating, they take breaks, they are exhausted and they are in incredible shape. Don't worry too much about taking breaks, it's called Insanity for a reason. Push yourself but know your limits, drink lots of water and be careful with the exercises.

Take care xx
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here, just keep going! It does get easier and you will take less breaks as time goes on. I have completed one round and just started another this past Monday but I took the whole summer off and just ran. Trust me I feel like this is my first time! I've been taking a few breaks too, not as many as the first time around but still...and I'm so freakin SORE! LOL

Keep it up! You WILL have excellent results! :)
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just did day two yesterday with my husband and I can tell you I took several breaks. I thought I wouldn't have a problem with it because I've been doing a fitness bootcamp for 3 months, but boy was I wrong. I took before pictures and am hoping to see some serious results at the end like I've seen on many other MFP'ers. I'm 37 and have lost about 35lbs so far with about 20 or so to go (or 20% bodyfat). My body fat is at 27% currently. Congratulations on getting to day 2! We can do it!
  • lawandabradley
    lawandabradley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd week, it was really hard for me at the begining too. As time goes by you will take less breaks. But keep in mind, (I STILL HAVE TO TAKE BREAKS) I have to tell myself " the people on TV are in much better shape than I am" This is a tough program and it requires dedication and hard work. Keep it up, you will make it.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    KEEP GOING!!!!!!

I recently started insanity too and also have had to take numerous breaks throughout the workout. I'm on week 2 and I am already seeing an improvement in my endurance. And the catch is, as soon as you build up more endurance and strength, you start to push yourself harder and go faster, which may equal still having to take a few breaks.

I like to measure my improvement with my average heartrate throughout the exercise. From Plyo on Day 2 to Plyo on Day 6 my average heart rate increased by 10 beats per minute, which I viewed as me pushing myself harder.

The fit test is also a great way to measure your progress. As long as you keep improving on that, keep on pushing! You will get there!
  • cmccay11
    Options
    Today was my 3rd day with day one was the test. I stopped working out 20 mins ago and still sweating. Had to do a few stops myself. Can't wait to see the results in two months, very excited !!!!

Would love to have some work out friends.
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Today is day 3 for me. I stop a hundred times feels like but I kept moving. I really love it even though I want to kill someone while I'm doing it. LOL!

Looking for friends that's starting or have already done it! Add me if you like!!!!!! :smile:
  • prancingpixie99
    prancingpixie99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just finished day one and I'm so beat. I had to take breaks during the fitness test, (They did say I'd be humbled in the infomercial ><). I will definitely need encourage with this one. I can't wait to start seeing results. GL and keep going.
  • thorpy6
    thorpy6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Im starting tomorrow, fitness test first thing in the morning. yikes!
  • klcalliari
    klcalliari Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm about a week away from finishing the whole shebang and all i can say is just to KEEP GOING! I was super committed at the beginning, made it through month one almost right on schedule but then hit month two and it's taken me two months to do month two. Regardless, I'm still going and although some weeks i don't lose any weight, i'm not putting ON any weight either. So through 9 weeks or so i've lost around 14 lbs (182-168 and i'm 5'6") and a pant size at least. A previous poster that mentioned a heart rate monitor is right on... I still take tons of breaks but as long as my heart rate is still up during those breaks, i'm still burning calories. If you take loooooooooong breaks where your heart rate goes back to resting, that might be an issue but if you're just trying to catch your breath, breaks are fine.
    Keep it up and if you need support in staying with it, add me!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, take breaks when needed.. Modify some moves if you have to. Just keep moving... I've also found that adding in 1-2 extra rest days a week helps me. Sometimes I take the day as full rest and sometimes I do lower impact workouts. It's ok to change up the program slightly to do what works for you.
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did C25K, finished it and am now going thru it to gain speed and time. I sweat like a hog, get tired, but push myself to do more. When I started it I had to take breaks, could only walk 2.5 MPH, now I walk 4MPH and run 6-6.5 or 7mph. It is all a process. Keep going, dig down and keep going, it will be worth it. I feel like screaming YEAH! At the end of every workout. GO ME, GO YOU!
  • HopetoFaith
    Options
    hi, im on week 3 of inanity the first week so hard to push yousefl but it wll get better and better every day, in first 2 weeks i lost 3 kg but i eat healty aswell..
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just keep pushing play and try your hardest. I'm on my 4th round and there are times I still have to stop! Good luck!!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP,

I am on day 2 of Insanity and I am definitely NOT in shape. I have to stop a least 5 times through and today I couldn't push to the end so I missed the last 10 minutes of the workout. I know if I keep at it I will build muscle and be able to last longer but will I see drastic results like I have seen other peoples before/afters? I am at my heaviest weight of a whopping 176 lbs. :( I really would like to be at 120 by Spring Break '13..just some help needed. Thanks!!

From 176-120 by spring break, or 56 pounds.
    Estimating your spring break as March 9-16.
    From today that's 136 days away, or about 34 weeks.
    In order to meet your goal of 120 by spring break you would need to lose about 1.65 pounds a week.
    This is an achievable goal if you're determined.
    It will not happen overnight and Insanity alone won't do it.
    You need to pay close attention to your diet as well.
    I would suggest recalculating your diary to 2 pounds a week if you're not doing it already.

In short, if you follow a good diet plan (MFP, Sparkpeople) as well as doing all the workout days you will achieve your goal prior to spring break.

I know finishing these things are a pain to do. Just push as hard as you can for as long as you can. Getting into excellent shape isn't done by being super-ultra hardcore. They're done over time through a dedicated schedule. If you simply can't finish them without dying then just do your best and that's definitely good enough.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!