Rant on people at the gym

Options

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Seriously why is everyone so socially awkward at the gym. MUST HATE ON EVERYONE AT THE GYM!

^^ This! I don't understand why people have such a hard time smiling at one another or acknowledging others at the gym. We are all there for the same reason. If you see me doing something and I have bad form or you have advice - give it to me. I'm all ears. I can workout hard and take a second to say hi to someone.

I dont even wear headphones to the gym, my eyes are always up, i wave, i say hi. I shoot the **** between sets. Dont understand why the gym has to be this place of "hard" people saying **** you to the world.

it doesn't , some people just don't go there to shoot the ****. i don't need to hear "good job" every 10 seconds , every day im in the gym. I know im doing a good job, ive been doing it for 10 years.

See that's where a lot of people differ. I don't need a pat on the back either or to be told I'm doing a good job but if I see you day after day after day I don't think there is anything wrong with saying hi, giving a nod, or looking at someone and acknowledging that you see them and that you are saying "hi" in a way. If that makes sense.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Seriously why is everyone so socially awkward at the gym. MUST HATE ON EVERYONE AT THE GYM!

^^ This! I don't understand why people have such a hard time smiling at one another or acknowledging others at the gym. We are all there for the same reason. If you see me doing something and I have bad form or you have advice - give it to me. I'm all ears. I can workout hard and take a second to say hi to someone.

I dont even wear headphones to the gym, my eyes are always up, i wave, i say hi. I shoot the **** between sets. Dont understand why the gym has to be this place of "hard" people saying **** you to the world.

^^I usually wear my earbuds but I always look at everyone I walk by. If I'm resting in between sets I look in the mirror and watch what others are doing. I have a smile on my face and sometimes I'm tapping my hands, feet, or moving my head to music. I'm not there to look stone cold. Don't talk to me when I'm in the middle of pressing but when I'm done say hi if you want. I don't bite.

well the thing is with people , is if you start talking to them, they want to talk forever (not everyone), so im sure their are nice people their, but i don't want to get into a 10 minute talk about how whatsherface can't find a babysitter.

Lol I totally get that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT HANDLE this mother and daughter that come in to the gym HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE GYM CLOSES to WALK on the treadmill at the SLOWEST speed for 10 minutes, then go on the ergo for 5 mins, and then STRETCH and drink water for 15 minutes...

MAKES ME SO ANGRY...GO HARD OR GO HOME

There I am, sweating it out on the treadmill, having an awesome workout which I started at least an hour and a half before the gym closes, and they come in with 30 mins to go - walking at the pace of a snail....

AND the daughter seriously needs to lose weight.. She needs to actually WORK OUT and SWEAT and challenge herself.. not have a lovely stroll at the gym
    AND they both act so exhausted at the end when they're stretching.. whilst I'm drenched in sweat and red all over my face
    soooooo annooooyyyinggggg

hahahaha, I feel better. And I guess its kinda motivating for me... But still, haha.

Well that is lovely for you....but you do realize that they pay for their gym membership just like you and have every right to workout at whatever intensity they damn well like don't you?
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    If you are next to me on the treadmill, then yes, we are racing ;)

i always win that battle.
  • nphect
    Options
    don't forget slamming weights and growling

you lift heavy , then come tell me about slamming weights and growling.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

Probably lift heavier than most people, not one grunt or weight slam was done that day. Different strokes for different folks.
  • nphect
    Options

Probably lift heavier than most people, not one grunt or weight slam was done that day. Different strokes for different folks.

im not saying you should do it, im saying i will never have a problem with it.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    There's this one guy at my gym - he is so annoying. He's always looking at me and then doing these hip thrusty things with a weird cannonball looking thing with a handle. Sometimes he looks at me and I just know he's judging me and thinks I need to be doing more weight. But then other times it's weird because he'll smile at me, almost as if he's proud of me.

Wait - nevermind. That's just me, because the only gym I go to is my living room.

:bigsmile:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Once this chatty lady was talking with everyone and when I saw her heading my way during my sets I just went for the awkward solution. She was wearing a wedding ring so as she was about to talk I just said I'm sorry not to be rude but because of my religion I'm not allowed to talk to women unless I'm having sex with them. I still don't know how I kept a straight face as she slowly backed away. Sometimes it's awesome to be brown in America cause you can make up crazy shlt up and people will buy it.

I have no problem exchanging pleasantries but if you are going to tell me a story that lasts more than 1 minute, you are taking away from my workout grind, which is the reason I'm there for.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

Oh, please. Just go home and take your judgmental attitudes with you. Why is it hard for you to perhaps consider the view that for that daughter and mother, it is them going hard?
  • nphect
    Options
    Once this chatty lady was talking with everyone and when I saw her heading my way during my sets I just went for the awkward solution. She was wearing a wedding ring so as she was about to talk I just said I'm sorry not to be rude but because of my religion I'm not allowed to talk to women unless I'm having sex with them. I still don't know how I kept a straight face as she slowly backed away. Sometimes it's awesome to be brown in America cause you can make up crazy shlt up and people will buy it.

I have no problem exchanging pleasantries but if you are going to tell me a story that lasts more than 1 minute, you are taking away from my workout grind, which is the reason I'm there for.

long story short, she is now cheating on her husband with her Mexican gardener
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There are some things that people do at the gym that just make me want to scream and I just wanted to post a public F-U to people doing this in the world! Stop doing this stuff, you're making other people miserable:

1. Keep your eyes on your own machine! I see you looking over at my machine to see how long I've been on it or what level I'm working at or whatever- stop it! Mind your freakin business!

2. Yes you're going super fast. I notice that every time I start picking up the pace, you start trying to out-run me. The difference is that your resistance is at 0!!! Of course you can run fast with it at 0 or 2 or 5! My resistance is close to maxing out so stop gloating! You're not 45 and out-running a 20-year-old! You're not 30 pounds overweight and in way better shape than everyone else! Again- mind your freakin business!

3. SHUT UP! No one wants to hear you going on and on about what you ate all day yesterday or what your political views are. We're trying to concentrate over here so please be polite and shut it! Talking about reps? Fine. Next routine or muscle groups? Sure. If you want to have a long blab session take it to a coffee shop! Also, congrats you barely broke a sweat. If you can chat the whole time, you're getting nothing accomplished!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Better. Sorry for the rant, but couldn't take it anymore! Anyone else have gym horror stories?? Let's talk etiquette.

Maybe you should just run outside so you don't have to be around people
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Farts. That is all. Loud ones. Please stop. They make me giggle. No place to giggle.

Carry on.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

long story short, she is now cheating on her husband with her Mexican gardener

He probably can handle a Hoe well.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    LOL.... funny especially the person next to you that tries to outrun you! :laugh:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There are some things that people do at the gym that just make me want to scream and I just wanted to post a public F-U to people doing this in the world! Stop doing this stuff, you're making other people miserable:

1. Keep your eyes on your own machine! I see you looking over at my machine to see how long I've been on it or what level I'm working at or whatever- stop it! Mind your freakin business!

2. Yes you're going super fast. I notice that every time I start picking up the pace, you start trying to out-run me. The difference is that your resistance is at 0!!! Of course you can run fast with it at 0 or 2 or 5! My resistance is close to maxing out so stop gloating! You're not 45 and out-running a 20-year-old! You're not 30 pounds overweight and in way better shape than everyone else! Again- mind your freakin business!

3. SHUT UP! No one wants to hear you going on and on about what you ate all day yesterday or what your political views are. We're trying to concentrate over here so please be polite and shut it! Talking about reps? Fine. Next routine or muscle groups? Sure. If you want to have a long blab session take it to a coffee shop! Also, congrats you barely broke a sweat. If you can chat the whole time, you're getting nothing accomplished!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Better. Sorry for the rant, but couldn't take it anymore! Anyone else have gym horror stories?? Let's talk etiquette.

Maybe you should just run outside so you don't have to be around people

Yea I agree.

And I will admit. I look at peoples machines and try to out run them >:)
    I work harder when I have competition.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This was my observation just this morning!!! I try to be friendly and at least give a smile if I make eye contact but it's so awkward! I show up excited & pumped (wanting to run around giving high-fives to peeps - not that I will of course) but I get grunts & glares. I just keep doin' my thing -- listen to my james -- and sweat it out -- smiling at whomever will smile back. Cheers!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ecicogna
    ecicogna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are next to me on the treadmill, then yes, we are racing ;)
    yes!
    my biggest pet peeve is tying up equipment, work harder rest less and move on to the next exercise. Please dont sit there on your phone skimming through songs or texting
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    WOW. Your gym is certainly more "interesting" than either of mine. I've only belonged to 2 gyms in my life. At both - folks come in, do their business, pehaps exhange a few pleasantries, then out. Course, I don't spend much time within the cardio machine arena. Perhaps more drama takes place there. IDK. I'd just plug in to my Ipod and get on with it if annoying chit-chat behavior was taking place. If it was louder than my music - WHOA.

If someone were to grunt and/or slam down a barbell - I'd prob just check to make sure he/she were still alive depending on volume of grunt then I'd go back to my business. IF it were a continual thing with a person and it seemed to be for the purpose of drama/ attention getting - we'd just have a pleasant little "chat" about that :)
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the posters, crank up your ipod and just go to work. Worrying about what other people are doing, looking at, etc. just takes away from your workout. The only time I talk to people is if they or I are asking if one or the other is done. Makes life easy :)