What do you set your food levels at??

Options
I was wondering what you all guys set your food levels at? (sodium, fat, sugar, protien ect..) Or what advice have you gotten or heard of regarding this topic?

Replies

• slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just have mine set at the standard MFP goals for the moment.
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    I honestly don't set it at anything. The main thing I focus on is getting enough protein and some fat in there. I noticed my carbs are way high on days that I do more running, so I scale back a little on days that I'm not. It all depends on how I feel, really. I have no limit on sugar :smile:
  • lessyess
    lessyess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I let them set it for me, though I feel like the sugar is way tooo low. I know I eat too much sugar but less than 25 is weird.
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    how can we set it at different macros? Iv got mine at the standard level set by MFP but would like to change it
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My Carbs/Fat/Protein percentages are currently set at 40/30/30. I just leave everything else as is. :)
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My Carbs/Fat/Protein percentages are currently set at 40/30/30. I just leave everything else as is. :)

I also use these %'s. The default settings were 55% carbs and 15% protein, the wrong mix for me.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Macro %'s: If you lift heavy weights (and you should), try to get at least 30% protein. Mine are set at 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat. MFP's default macros are dreadful (protein is set to only 15% of total calories) so make sure you customize yours.

Sodium: no more than 2,300mg per day. The lower, the better.

Fiber: at least 25g per day.

Sugar: useless to track. Big difference between refined sugars and natural sugars found in whole foods like fruits, vegetables, milk, etc. Just make sure most of your sugar comes from whole foods.

To customize, go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    25% carbs
    40% protein
    35% fats

I also upped my calories from 1200 to 1600, and my fiber to 20g.

Seems to be working out well for me so far. I think MFP sets carbs too high and protein too low for me.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to what I am looking at keeping in check, so everyday I want to be sure to stay under in sodium, under in sugar, and at least hit protien and fiber! Calcium is another I want to hit!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I used this calculator here to figure mine out
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

which for me ends up being 45/30/25
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Protein-40%
    Carbs-30%
    Fat-30%
    25-28 g Fiber
    22-24 mg Sugar
    1,500-2,300 Sodium
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I use the default settings, but make sure to go over on protein and not go over on carbs. I also watch my sodium intake and aim for at least 25 grams of fiber each day.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Mine are (45%,30%, 25%) set to ensure 1g of protein for lean body mass. The current dietary recommendations for total fat intake in Canada is between 20% and 35% of total energy so mine is at 25%. The daily requirement for carbohydrate is 45-65% of energy intake for all adults so mine is set on the low side of that.

My sodium is set to Canadian guidelines for 'requirements' at 1250mg (I try to keep it under the recommended 1500mg). I don't monitor cholesterol because I have no medical issue with it. My goal for sugar is to keep it to 10% or less of my total carbohydrates. I have it set to about 11% now but it is one I am still working on. The others I don't worry about.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to:

50 Carbs
    25 Protein
    25 Fat
    30 Fibre
    60 Sugar
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    50% carbs
    35% fat
    15% protein
    2300 mg sodium

Everything else is whatever MFP has as default values.
  • CHERLOU
    CHERLOU Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • babzog
    babzog Posts: 19
    Options
    I was wondering what you all guys set your food levels at? (sodium, fat, sugar, protien ect..) Or what advice have you gotten or heard of regarding this topic?

I'm using the standard bodybuilding (I'm not a bodybuilder, I just combine strength training with cardio 5x a week) 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat ratio. So far, it seems to be working though it can be tough to make sure I get all my protein in. Overall, I feel good.

Saturday, I relegate to "reward day". Whatever I like (though, not to excess).

I don't monitor or concern myself with sodium or cholesterol levels as I (currently) have no medial issues with either.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    sNRz6.png
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    1600 calories, 40/30/30 c/p/f, exercise built into the deficit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    how can we set it at different macros? Iv got mine at the standard level set by MFP but would like to change it

Under the "My Home" tab, click "Goals."
    At the bottom of the page, click the green "Change Goals" button.
    Set the radio button to "Custom:" and then click the green "Continue" button.
    From there, you can change your macro (and some micro) nutrient ratios.