Any steel cut oats lovers? I'm a convert!

Options

Replies

• Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with instant? not the packaged oatmeal but the tube. you can put in the microwave for one minute and done?
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i love steel cut oats... check this out - best way to eat them according to me... i made some with pumpkin squash the other day.. so awesome..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/767284-low-cal-banana-peanut-butter-oat-slice
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    i love steel cut oats... check this out - best way to eat them according to me... i made some with pumpkin squash the other day.. so awesome..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/767284-low-cal-banana-peanut-butter-oat-slice

OMG sounds delicious! I have to try that!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    whats wrong with instant? not the packaged oatmeal but the tube. you can put in the microwave for one minute and done?

Nothing, that's what I normally eat. But, I like steel cut much better!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. I don't eat them right now because they raise my blood glucose. Someday I will be able to add them back in. An easy way to cook them besides the crock pot method is to start them in a pot on the stove at night. 1 part oats to 4 parts water, salt and a pat a butter. Bring them to a boil. Turn off the heat. Cover and let them sit all night. The next morning they are perfect. Heat up the amount you want to eat in the microwave and store the rest in the refrigerator. Cooked steal cut oats will keep well for a week in the refrigerator. I usually add flax to the oats when I cook them. They never turn into wall paper paste.

Great way to cook them! I will try this, thank you!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I throw 1 part steel cut oats to 4 parts water plus some dried fruit (no sulfates) into a crock pot before going to bed. Wake up to the yumminess.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That looks so good Ken...I'm definitely going to try that!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love them too! I prefer Bob's Red MIll Steel Cut oats, but I normally eat McCann's Instant (ish) Steel Cut Oats due to the convenience. I also love the texture as well, i am not a big fan of mushy oatmeal.

Both of these brands are great! I prefer McCanns as well but the one I get isn't instant. Even my 7 year old would rather eat the steel cut oats than the rolled oats.

Same here. I think the quick cooking steel cut oats taste just as good as the regular ones.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I make 5 servings on Sunday night and divide it into plastic containers so I can just pop one in the microwave in the morning. It keeps just fine for the week.

Please don't reheat in plastic containers. It is very bad for you.
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE ... I don't think I can go back to instant again!! They are soooo Yummy!!!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love steel cuts oats, make them in the slow cooker (overnight) house smells GREAT too:

Slow Cooker Breakfast

I add either three apples or a can (10.75 oz) of pumpkin puree to a double batch, sometimes I add or substitute honey (for the brown sugar). This also freezes well!! (sometime I substitute milk for the water or do a 50/50 mix). Also any dried fruit you like make it a little different (cranberries, blueberries or cherries).

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 1/2 cups water
    1 cup peeled and chopped apple
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Place the steel cut oats, water, apple, raisins, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a slow cooker, and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and allow to cook 6 to 7 hours (for firm oats) or 8 hours (for softer texture).

Thanks for posting! I will try this. I tried to make it once and didnt like it but I will try this recipe. I love my slow cooker.
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's all I eat - no plain ol' oatmeal for me anymore! Trader Joe's has a great "quick" cook that I just pop in the microwave in the a.m. before heading to work - 5 minutes TOPS! I add 1 Tbsp. of almond butter, a tiny box of raisins, a packet of Truvia & a sprinkling of cinnamon - SUPER easy and extremely tasty! An alternative mix-in I use too is 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin in lieu of the almond butter. Keeps me full all morning long!

This is what I was going to say! The Trader Joe's quick ones are a lifesaver!!
  • pglaf
    pglaf Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love them too. Now I find regular oatmeal to be mushy.
    I cook my steel cut outs in the evening a double batch with apples and cinnamon then just reheat it in the microwave in the morning.
    Quick and easy.

Soooooooo YUMMY!
  • rjjrs1girl
    rjjrs1girl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never tried them...will have to be on the look out bc I love anything that can be thrown in the crockpot and walk away!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like the texture better than that of instant oatmeal. Bob's Red Mill is my favorite (partially because they're from where I moved from and they're an employee owned business) and I figure about 5 bucks for 16 breakfasts is not a bad deal. I make up a batch on Sunday or Monday, package it in bowls with some dried fruit and nuts on top then nuke it when I get to work. Holds up great. Fills me up in the morning. I don't see how this could be a bad thing!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love them too! I prefer Bob's Red MIll Steel Cut oats, but I normally eat McCann's Instant (ish) Steel Cut Oats due to the convenience. I also love the texture as well, i am not a big fan of mushy oatmeal.

Coach's Oats are "instant-ish" too ...... yum! These are "cracked & toasted"

http://www.coachsoats.com/

I pour boiling water over these the night before, snap a tight lid on it & in the morning I cook microwave for 2:30 minutes.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1 cup steel cut oats and 3 tbs of physillium to 5 cups water,cook and divide into 6 containers,before eating I add 1/2 cup scotch oats and 1/2 scoop protein powder,mix in with boiling water and top with 1/2 cup frozen blueberries,,,,,
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Need to add these to my shopping list. Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • jcfromny
    jcfromny Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After reading all of these posts, I'm going to have to try them!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I make 5 servings on Sunday night and divide it into plastic containers so I can just pop one in the microwave in the morning. It keeps just fine for the week.

I have never cooked that amount in advance because I didn't know how well it would keep, but I'll try that! Thanks for the tip!

I do this too. With my schedule I can't take 30 minutes each morning to cook my breakfast so I make 4 servings (one cup dry) and put the servings in one cup plastic containers that I can grab as I need them. Sometimes you need to add some more water and zap them in the microwave but that's no big deal.

I never get hungry before my lunch when I eat oatmeal.