Rant on people at the gym

Options

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    haha I must admit when I'm on the treadmill I'm racing you... but it's in my head... I don't rubberneck to see what the person's speed/incline is... I'm just making up a race in my head to motivate me.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    Seriously why is everyone so socially awkward at the gym. MUST HATE ON EVERYONE AT THE GYM!

^^ This! I don't understand why people have such a hard time smiling at one another or acknowledging others at the gym. We are all there for the same reason. If you see me doing something and I have bad form or you have advice - give it to me. I'm all ears. I can workout hard and take a second to say hi to someone.

I dont even wear headphones to the gym, my eyes are always up, i wave, i say hi. I shoot the **** between sets. Dont understand why the gym has to be this place of "hard" people saying **** you to the world.

it doesn't , some people just don't go there to shoot the ****. i don't need to hear "good job" every 10 seconds , every day im in the gym. I know im doing a good job, ive been doing it for 10 years.

See that's where a lot of people differ. I don't need a pat on the back either or to be told I'm doing a good job but if I see you day after day after day I don't think there is anything wrong with saying hi, giving a nod, or looking at someone and acknowledging that you see them and that you are saying "hi" in a way. If that makes sense.

^^ This

I don't expect people to be all smiles and chit chatty at the gym but when you see the same people there every day it is nice to exchange a nod and quick smile. The people who refuse to acknowledge others around them bug me and I wish they would work out elsewhere.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Look at my machine all you want..Im pretty new and most of the people at my gym are my parents age (Im 38 so Im thinking these people are at least 50-60ish).

Say "hi" or "good job" all you want. I'll smile and say "hi" too..if I can, because well, Im new and even my slower speed or lower weight is A LOT of work for me.

Just please wipe off the machine and don't sit on it to chat about Obama vs Romney when you can plainly see it is the next machine in my rotation....chat somewhere where you not delaying someone elses workout....please....
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    don't forget slamming weights and growling

LOL, I have a guy at my gym I call Grinty McGrunterson :laugh:
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Seriously why is everyone so socially awkward at the gym. MUST HATE ON EVERYONE AT THE GYM!

^^ This! I don't understand why people have such a hard time smiling at one another or acknowledging others at the gym. We are all there for the same reason. If you see me doing something and I have bad form or you have advice - give it to me. I'm all ears. I can workout hard and take a second to say hi to someone.

I dont even wear headphones to the gym, my eyes are always up, i wave, i say hi. I shoot the **** between sets. Dont understand why the gym has to be this place of "hard" people saying **** you to the world.

it doesn't , some people just don't go there to shoot the ****. i don't need to hear "good job" every 10 seconds , every day im in the gym. I know im doing a good job, ive been doing it for 10 years.

See that's where a lot of people differ. I don't need a pat on the back either or to be told I'm doing a good job but if I see you day after day after day I don't think there is anything wrong with saying hi, giving a nod, or looking at someone and acknowledging that you see them and that you are saying "hi" in a way. If that makes sense.

^^ This

I don't expect people to be all smiles and chit chatty at the gym but when you see the same people there every day it is nice to exchange a nod and quick smile. The people who refuse to acknowledge others around them bug me and I wish they would work out elsewhere.

thats ridiculous
  • Mollie007
    Options
    Once this chatty lady was talking with everyone and when I saw her heading my way during my sets I just went for the awkward solution. She was wearing a wedding ring so as she was about to talk I just said I'm sorry not to be rude but because of my religion I'm not allowed to talk to women unless I'm having sex with them. I still don't know how I kept a straight face as she slowly backed away. Sometimes it's awesome to be brown in America cause you can make up crazy shlt up and people will buy it.

I have no problem exchanging pleasantries but if you are going to tell me a story that lasts more than 1 minute, you are taking away from my workout grind, which is the reason I'm there for.

BAHAHAHA!! Awesome. You are hilarious and I now want to be your BFF!!!

I totally look at people on the elliptical next to me. And I always burn more calories than them. ;) I can't help it! Competition pushes me harder, even if the person next to me doesn't know we are competing.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read the responses...just LOL'd a lot.

1. No one cares what you're doing.

2. No one cares what you're doing.

3. You're the one who's noticing what everyone ELSE is doing and talking about, and somehow making it about you. Take an MP3 player and do your thing...works wonders.

I care man!!!
  • noelieTREX
    Options
    LOL niceeeeee You guys know this rant is a Jenna Marbles video right? Trollin :devil:
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT HANDLE this mother and daughter that come in to the gym HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE GYM CLOSES to WALK on the treadmill at the SLOWEST speed for 10 minutes, then go on the ergo for 5 mins, and then STRETCH and drink water for 15 minutes...

MAKES ME SO ANGRY...GO HARD OR GO HOME

There I am, sweating it out on the treadmill, having an awesome workout which I started at least an hour and a half before the gym closes, and they come in with 30 mins to go - walking at the pace of a snail....

AND the daughter seriously needs to lose weight.. She needs to actually WORK OUT and SWEAT and challenge herself.. not have a lovely stroll at the gym
    AND they both act so exhausted at the end when they're stretching.. whilst I'm drenched in sweat and red all over my face
    soooooo annooooyyyinggggg

hahahaha, I feel better. And I guess its kinda motivating for me... But still, haha.

To each their own, I applaud the two of them, it is a start, especially if the daughter really needs to lose weight as you say. I don't join a gym because of things just like that. I do not want the added pressure of feeling judged by those that see my 10-15 mins of easy walking an insult or inconvenience to their superior progress . My issue I do admit but when I read posts like this it just reinforces my phobia. We all start somewhere and as long as they are doing something then who are any of us to judge.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    LOL niceeeeee You guys know this rant is a Jenna Marbles video right? Trollin :devil:

jenna marbles sucks
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    First off, it's "Rant at", or " rant about" not rant on, English it's not that hard

I don’t care, really I don’t! I’m focused on my ****, I set my treadmill going and the world could end half way through and I’d notice only if the power went and my music stopped. On weights I care even less, I’m not there for you, or even guy checking out the spandex girls doing planks I’m there for me. Move on or deal with it.
    If you talk to me, and I notice, I’ll smile, and that is it. Deal with it or move.
    If you want to grunt or fart, or swear or beat your chest, I don’t care, you’ve paid the same as I have to go to the gym, and it take me but second to grab a hand full of paper towels, and a baby wipe to wipe off the machines, I’m not scared of sweat even other peoples. Move on or deal with it.
    Rule # 5 Applies in all cases
    Harden the Fu*h up
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Mine:

STOP WEARING PERFUME. You are an A-HOLE. Some people are allergic and you walk by smelling like a french *kitten* which makes them fall to the floor in an asthma attack.

Anything else, I don't care.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have yet to figure why anyone cares whatsoever about what other people are doing at the gym (unless they're hogging a machine you are waiting use). Focus on your own workout.........you wouldn't notice what other people are doing if you minded your own business (hence my utter joy at being a solitary runner)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read the responses...just LOL'd a lot.

1. No one cares what you're doing.

2. No one cares what you're doing.

3. You're the one who's noticing what everyone ELSE is doing and talking about, and somehow making it about you. Take an MP3 player and do your thing...works wonders.

I care man!!!

LIES!
  • noelieTREX
    Options

jenna marbles sucks

*does jenna marbles face*
  • Pinky_2003
    Pinky_2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    Mine:

STOP WEARING PERFUME. You are an A-HOLE. Some people are allergic and you walk by smelling like a french *kitten* which makes them fall to the floor in an asthma attack.

Anything else, I don't care.

Those allergic folks need to shove off then. As for a French *kitten*, I was at work one morning in a meeting with a few of my colleagues and my boss came in and said, loudly "Damn, it smells like a French *kitten* in here!" As I'm known for wearing cologne (and not that garbage Wal-Mart *kitten*) everyday, I knew he was referring to me. Since I'm naturally an A**HOLE, I really didn't give a flying *kitten* at a rolling doughnut. What was funny was after the meeting, his wife, who also worked there at the time, happened to come up to me, lean in closely and sniff my neck. I was kinda shook, but quickly recovered and loudly said "French *kitten* must be back in style!"

LSS: If you don't want to smell my cologne, either stay at home or come work out when I'm not there.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

John North slams his weights, so i must do it too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

John North slams his weights, so i must do it too.

Hell, Konstantin just outright drops his behind him from overhead press.