CRAVING PIZZA! Need HEALTHY Pizza Recipes!

13»

Replies

• H
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Go for thin crust, lots of veggies and a lean meat if you are ordering at a restaurant.

At home, I'll use a sandwich round and toast it up real good, top with pizza sauce and cheese and veggies.

I'll also make a italian stir "fry" with veggies, canadian bacon, lots of herbs and garlic, and add in about 1/4 c. pizza sauce to coat. Top with low fat mozzarella or some parm...YUM.

(Gosh just typing that out made my mouth water. I know what's for dinner tonight! LOL!)

Good luck - you can do this!!
    Melis
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    best thing is to make your own pizza adn load it up with all your favorite things.
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    great ideas!
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    We do the chicken/sauce/low fat cheese thing and it's delicious - good share!

I had a HUGE pizza craving the other day and had very few calories to work with at the end of the day. I decided to see what I could do with eggs. Well, egg beaters actually. I basically made a open-face pizza omelet and it was DELICIOUS.

But, sometimes... you just gotta have the real deal. Everything in moderation - good luck!
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    I just seen a recipe that used large portabella mushroom caps as the crust!! I love mushrooms!! Bet it would be yummy too!
  • Morenosn
    Morenosn Posts: 28 Member
    To help with portion size I sometimes make mini pizzas using english muffins, pizza sause, cheese and veggies on top. put them in the oven until golden and crispy. They are yummy!
  • Morenosn
    Morenosn Posts: 28 Member
    Get the 80 calories whole wheat tortillas. I load it up with tomatoe paste, Italian seasoning, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, black olives (and any other kind of veggie I can find). Add just enough 2% mozzarella to suit you and bake until crispy. Mine usually comes in around 245 calories. And it fixes that pizza crave!

Never thought about using a tortilla as the crust.... this sound yummy! im going to have to try it now!
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    I enjoy the thin crust bbq chicken pizza from Dominos. But I have to agree with other comments that you can't give up something you love entirely. For me if you rule something out as "bad" it make me want it that much more.
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Lots of good ideas here!
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    homemade pizza is the best you know exactly what your putting in....I knead the dough everythink from scratch, cut the veggies I love and the cheese is low carb count...Its a lot healthier and delicious and not greasy...

SHoot girl now am craving pizza...
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Well, here's what I do for pizza. I like it, it feels like a lot of food, and is only 300 calories:
    La Tortilla Factory high fiber, low carb tortilla
    Ragu pizza sauce (1/4 cup)
    Normal turkey pepperoni (1 serving - 17 slices)
    Shredded low fat mozzarella cheese (1 & 1/2 oz)

Heat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with olive oil spray. Place tortilla on foil; top with sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Back for 8-10 minutes.

Then I slice it into 8 slices. It fills my whole dinner plate.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Go to Pizza Hut, and just pick something that's "better" for you. Really, I make pizza at home a lot with flat our wraps, and english muffins. It pushes the craving aside temporarily, but they come back until I get "real pizza."

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/05/14/easy-one-bite-pizzas-with-loaded-pizza-sauce/

These are also good, just use your own ingredients.
  • Get a tortilla wrap, spread with tomato puree, top with pineapple, light cheese, mushrooms and ham, all the delicious things but on a healthier base, cook for 20 mins on 180c
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Get the 80 calories whole wheat tortillas. I load it up with tomatoe paste, Italian seasoning, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, black olives (and any other kind of veggie I can find). Add just enough 2% mozzarella to suit you and bake until crispy. Mine usually comes in around 245 calories. And it fixes that pizza crave!

Never thought about using a tortilla as the crust.... this sound yummy! im going to have to try it now!

I love love love the whole wheat toritallas! But any tortilla will do! I highly recommend it
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Wow! Well that really depends on what you call "healthy." i think most any pizza made with fresh ingredients will be both delicious and healthy. Personally, I do not believe in calling foods "healthy." Some foods have more nutrients than others, but all food should be part of a well-balanced diet with a variety of types of foods to ensure that a wide spectrum of nutrients are consumed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Whole grain crust will be a little more nutritious, but really with the right toppings you can have a healthy pizza with a regular crust. Just keep the meats lean, the veggies/fruit plentiful and use reduced fat cheese. You can go for fat free cheese if you like it but IMO it taste like wax and doesn't melt well.

Greens like kale, spinach and arugula are excellent on pizza.
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump...pizza-holic here!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I made a nice one for my lunch just now.
    See 'lunch' in this entry: www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/geebusuk?date=2012-10-25

Will get a pic if I do it again.
    Maybe 8" or so pizza, reasonably 'loaded' for 279 calories.
    Base still a bit flimsy when cooked on the 'pizza' setting on my fancy microwave, but I'm fine with that. Might try it just using over next time (think the pizza setting uses microwave, oven and grill at once for ultra-fast cooking.)

Forgot to add oregano and basil to the tomato, which I meant. Maybe a bit of garlic too.