Lentils

Options
Canderson58054
Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
I've heard lentils are good for you, but I've never had them! What do you use them in? Anyone know any GOOD recipes? :)

Replies

• JerseyGirlMomof4
    JerseyGirlMomof4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have not looked up the nutrient details on it, but one of our family favorites is Aarti Sequeira's "Mum's everyday lentils".

I am sure you can google it as she has a version on foodtv.com (a more simplified version) and on her Blog aartipaarti.com (a more traditional version)
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup is the tastiest soup ever (but it makes you fart like a trouper) lol

Lentils boiled in water and drained, add grated carrots, turnip and onion and a few ham stock cubes. Sorted!
    Or you can put actual ham in it to make it tastier. You have been warned about the wind :laugh:
  • JerseyGirlMomof4
    JerseyGirlMomof4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you add a little Hing (aka Asafoetida) to your lentils it will counter act the side effects.

Hing can be found in most Asian (Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi) Markets or online. It is a natural resin from a tree so a lot better for you than some of the chemical anti-gas medications.

It has a slightly oniony flavor and it STINKS (like a preteen boy) until it is cooked. You also only need to use a dash (1/8tsp) for 4-6 people!

So, if you decide to purchase some my only advise is to seal it in a small mason jar to keep it from stinking up your pantry!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Lentils do not make you fart like regular beans - they have much less (sulpher?) - whatever the fart ingredient is lol. They also take less time to cook, and they are high protein and moderate carb.
    Delicious Curried Chicken Soup
    I cover about 4 chicken thighs or 2 chicken hindquartes without skin (or you can use a whole chicken or left over bones with some meat) with water, salt, and boil for about an hour in a large to medium pot. I then add the lentils. About 1 cup lentils and 1 cup water is good. 1 potato diced, 1 onion diced, 2-4 tablespoons curry powder (add less if you don't like things to spicey), 1/2 cup raisens, 1 tablespoon chicken bullion, and 2 tablespoons of diced ginger.
    Simmer about 30-40 minutes. Pick out chicken bones (I leave the chicken bones in till the end because they add calcium, magnesium, and flavor.). You can add water if needed if you like a thinner soup (I do). I like to serve it with a big dollop of full fat plain yogurt.
    It's really really good and only about 300 calories for a big bowl.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Never had them... but I'd like to.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This is the BEST recipe. So easy, so good. I make huge batches and freeze. It's so filling because of the protein and fiber, but ridiculously low-cal. Sometimes I make it for boys who refuse to eat food that doesn't have meat in it, so I add shredded chicken, and they love it. For a completely vegetarian option, can switch the chicken broth to veg broth.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup-2/
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I saute up some onions with mine, and top them off with a little salsa...cheap and easy dinner
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • donnat871
    donnat871 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Looneyspoons cookbook has a great recipe called Lentili Chili made with lentils. I just started eating lentils and find them fantastic - not the same texture as beans. They do not give you gas like beans. I plan to start cooking with lentils regularly.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    i love Menestra, its a typical dish here in Ecuador.
    It's usually served with white rice, fried ripe plantains, avocado slices and grilled chicken breast or a steak or fish or just a fried egg..
    Pretty easy to make and I like to make a whole lot of it and freeze it!

300g dry lentils
    1 big onion, chopped
    2-3 really ripe tomatoes, chopped (or for convenience tomatoe paste)
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt, a tiny little bit of cumin

1. put the lentils into a huge sauce pan, cover with water and let sit over night
    2. take your sauce pan, add about 1-1.5inches water (or if you like it more liquid go for even more) and boil for 1 hour
    3. heat a bit of oil in a small sauce pan, put onions, tomatoes and garlic in and cook for about 20min stirring occasionally or till not that chunky anymore
    4. add salt and cumin
    5. add tomatoe mix to lentils and cook for 45min
    6. taste and if needed add more tomatoe paste. thats what I usually do, cause it changes the taste A LOT.
    (some people even add red bell pepper, chopped cilantro and bacon to it)

and here pic of it. doesnt look that yummy but i assure you it is!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/tototo84/DSC02167.jpg

hope you enjoy it
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, hippie food. A staple from the 60s and 70s. Use them in everything to replace mince meat: burgers, soups, spag bol, lasagne. They are delicious.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    look for indian lentil recipes. super easy to make. and super yum!

:smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...and it STINKS (like a preteen boy) until it is cooked.

:laugh: OMG! You made my day. :laugh:
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    super tasty! i just mix with quinoa or other stuff and use as a base for stirfries or whatever im eating! or else you can make soup.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I make lentil dhal with them - it's similar to Anja's recipe above, but has chilli and coriander in it, and sometimes no tomatoes. It's supposed to be dressed with onion fried in ghee, but I don't do that bit, as nice as it is. I have that with chapatis or rice.

I'll definitely be trying the Ecuador recipe though, sounds delicious.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    This is by far my favorite recipe that uses lentils. It's one of the few meatless dishes that my husband will willingly eat. Lentil are also great to throw into most soups and stews.

Black Bean, Lentil, and Brown Rice Burrito Fillin'

Introduction
    Awesome meat-free, protein and fiber packed filling for tacos or burritos. Can also be eaten alone with a little fat free sour cream and cheese on top. Adapted from ANEWONE's lentils and rice recipe.

Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 40
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients
    3/4 canned black beans, rinsed
    3/4 dry pink lentils
    3/4 dry brown rice
    1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 tbsp taco seasoning

Directions
    Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Lower heat and let simmer about forty minutes, or until rice is cooked through.

Makes six approximately 1 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 6
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Jaimie oliver has a few good recipes on his website
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I make a fabulously tasty lentil soup (so Scottish!!) and I now throw a generous handful in when making chili, bolognese, curry, in fact I hide them everywhere for extra fiber. My Granny was in service as a cook in a "big house" for Scottish landed gentry, she taught me how to make my soups, broths, etc.

1 cup red split lentils, 1 cup diced carrot, 1 onion chopped, 1 large potato diced (I use Maris Piper variety because it boils down nicely to thicken the soup, it's a very dry floury potato when it's baked) 1 parsnip chopped, chopped leek, chopped turnip (last three are optional but always nice to have plenty veg) couple of ham stock cubes (try to find reduced salt ones) and boiling water. Throw it all in a pot, boil, them simmer for about 35 minutes, then TASTY!! You can add some spices/herbs to suit your taste. Sometimes I add some diced bacon/gammon if I have it in the fridge.

Life without lentils would be unbearable for my weekly meal planning!!!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really cook with lentils is a curry lentil soup. But I do add lentils to any minced beef dish for the fibre and to bulk it up. I taught my add kids to eat lentils by adding more and more of it to rice.