Rant on people at the gym

Options

Replies

• jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty funny. I've never noticed anyone racing me on a treadmill or staring at my machine, but maybe that's because if I'm on a treadmill, I tend to have earphones on and really focus on myself and block out the surroundings. I wouldn't take that kind of stuff personally if I did notice it. Everyone has there own ways to motivate themselves.

One thing the *does* bother me at the gym are people who cheat in group classes. I did a 'boot camp' clinic a few years back and one of the common drills at the end of the class was to sprint 1/4 of the field, sprint back, sprint 1/2 the field, sprint back, sprint 3/4 of the filed, sprint back and then sprint the whole field and return. Totally kicked me butt. Well there were three chicks in the class who never ran to the line. The second the fastest person hit the line and turned around, the three cheaters would also turn around even if they were no where near the line. And then the worst part, after they'd cross the finish line, they turn around and "cheer" for those who were still finishing up -- "come on, come on... you can do it."

Logically, I know they were only cheating themselves, but I always took offense at the superior way that they cheered people to the finish who were, in actuality, faster than them.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    I think you guys all need to take a moment to breath and realize that I'm the best.

idk I mean... what If I think im the best ... and there can only be ONE "best" O.O... .. what then D: .. dun dun dun..

then i actually start trying and i stop hitting on you, and i run you into the ground.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT HANDLE this mother and daughter that come in to the gym HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE GYM CLOSES to WALK on the treadmill at the SLOWEST speed for 10 minutes, then go on the ergo for 5 mins, and then STRETCH and drink water for 15 minutes...

MAKES ME SO ANGRY...GO HARD OR GO HOME

There I am, sweating it out on the treadmill, having an awesome workout which I started at least an hour and a half before the gym closes, and they come in with 30 mins to go - walking at the pace of a snail....

AND the daughter seriously needs to lose weight.. She needs to actually WORK OUT and SWEAT and challenge herself.. not have a lovely stroll at the gym
    AND they both act so exhausted at the end when they're stretching.. whilst I'm drenched in sweat and red all over my face
    soooooo annooooyyyinggggg

hahahaha, I feel better. And I guess its kinda motivating for me... But still, haha.

Wow such nastiness, how do you know if they don't have some medical condition that prevents them from " going hard or going home" pull your head in and think not all people are able bodied regardless I what they look like on the outside. At least they are off their bums having a go, people such as yourself are why many don't step foot inside a gym to begin with .

Many people don't step foot in the gym because there are people there working out hard?

Huh.
  • kaitgettingfit
    Options
    You probably burn a lot of extra calories just being angry. If you don't look at their machines how do you know what speeds or inclines they're using?

hahaha. exactly what i was thinking... love it
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think you guys all need to take a moment to breath and realize that I'm the best.

idk I mean... what If I think im the best ... and there can only be ONE "best" O.O... .. what then D: .. dun dun dun..

Well, your hot so I guess you can be the best today.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I agree with number 3.

The first two tell me its much more your problem than theirs.

You dont know them. You dont know their story. You dont that maybe they used to weigh a hundred pounds more than they do now, that theyve been at it ALL ALONE for flippin years, that having you next to her might make her feel a little comraderie. You dont know that she doesnt still feel like a weakling just trying to get stronger, that she doesnt feel like maybe she is still gigantic because its all in her head which hasnt caught up to her weight loss. You dont know that she isnt beating herself up cause she can run but cant handle resistance like you.

I cant believe people like you are so so soooooooo judgmental in the gym. We're all working on improving ourselves, youd think people would be less critical and less completely intolerant.

Theres MY flipping rant.
  • kbresso
    kbresso Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are some things that people do at the gym that just make me want to scream and I just wanted to post a public F-U to people doing this in the world! Stop doing this stuff, you're making other people miserable:

1. Keep your eyes on your own machine! I see you looking over at my machine to see how long I've been on it or what level I'm working at or whatever- stop it! Mind your freakin business!

2. Yes you're going super fast. I notice that every time I start picking up the pace, you start trying to out-run me. The difference is that your resistance is at 0!!! Of course you can run fast with it at 0 or 2 or 5! My resistance is close to maxing out so stop gloating! You're not 45 and out-running a 20-year-old! You're not 30 pounds overweight and in way better shape than everyone else! Again- mind your freakin business!

3. SHUT UP! No one wants to hear you going on and on about what you ate all day yesterday or what your political views are. We're trying to concentrate over here so please be polite and shut it! Talking about reps? Fine. Next routine or muscle groups? Sure. If you want to have a long blab session take it to a coffee shop! Also, congrats you barely broke a sweat. If you can chat the whole time, you're getting nothing accomplished!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Better. Sorry for the rant, but couldn't take it anymore! Anyone else have gym horror stories?? Let's talk etiquette.

None of this bothers me but it would be nice if the guys at my gym would rack their weights once in a while. There's nothing like nearly tripping over a bunch of plates around the squat rack to warm you up for your first set.
  • yoovie
    Options
    You probably burn a lot of extra calories just being angry. If you don't look at their machines how do you know what speeds or inclines they're using?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    make me.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Seriously why is everyone so socially awkward at the gym. MUST HATE ON EVERYONE AT THE GYM!

yeah i dont get it. so many people on MFP are unable to just go through life without getting upset at every little thing.

there must be some kind of correlation to letting everything upset you and weight gain. maybe people that get upset easy turn to food for happiness.

I think these are the same people that are always complaining that the people responding in the forums on MFP are vicious... but they are the ones that are mean at the gym.
  • yoovie
    Options
    make me.

I love you.
  • yoovie
    Options
    don't forget slamming weights and growling

I do all this ^^... yuuup i growl :) and i crush myself and i sweat and i might even do a little dance when i hit my max :)

I drop weights and I laugh.

Youre allowed to laugh in the gym!!!!!!!!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tell us what this is REALLY about. Did Dad not play catch with you? Mom didn't hug you enough? C'mon, what is it?
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I look because I like to see what techniques people are using to try different things myself such as going backwards on the cross trainer or doing the high resistance intervals on the bike
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I agree with number 3.

The first two tell me its much more your problem than theirs.

You dont know them. You dont know their story. You dont that maybe they used to weigh a hundred pounds more than they do now, that theyve been at it ALL ALONE for flippin years, that having you next to her might make her feel a little comraderie. You dont know that she doesnt still feel like a weakling just trying to get stronger, that she doesnt feel like maybe she is still gigantic because its all in her head which hasnt caught up to her weight loss. You dont know that she isnt beating herself up cause she can run but cant handle resistance like you.

I cant believe people like you are so so soooooooo judgmental in the gym. We're all working on improving ourselves, youd think people would be less critical and less completely intolerant.

Theres MY flipping rant.

That's Yoovie, FTW (not for the first time either)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I look at people.
    I'm creepin' on all of you.
    Maybe I'm using it as motivation (wow they can do that, I should try too).
    I growl.
    I grunt.
    Sometimes, I yell.
    I drop and slam my weights. Sometimes it's nice to give a plate a good angry slam.
    cartman-i-do-what-i-want.jpg

P.S. I love you too Yoovie.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    vvvvv Ticker says it all. vvvvv
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    don't forget slamming weights and growling

I do all this ^^... yuuup i growl :) and i crush myself and i sweat and i might even do a little dance when i hit my max :)

I drop weights and I laugh.

Youre allowed to laugh in the gym!!!!!!!!!!

I love when I do deadlifts and the weight hits the bumpers on release! Makes me feel strong for moving so much weight! Plus, I do find myself grunting every now and again when trying to pull to failure...
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    everyone has their issues with people whether it be at the gym or whatever, but my big problems is with the gym itself. my club has these huge windows with no blinds, and the sunshine beaming it hurts my eyes so much i feel like i have to wear sunglasses in there!

there are also big fans in front of the cardio equipment, and it may help some cool off, but when they're on me for an hour, they really make my eyes water and annoy me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hey look! It's this thread...again.