Low calorie salad dressing - any ideas?

Options
I did tomato mozzarella and avocado salad for today's supper, and get nearly heart attack when I've checked calories.
My dressing was 240 kcal per portion!!! and my salad all together was over 500 kcal per portion. If you could give me ideas on low calorie dressings that be fantastic lads!!

Replies

• LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I used fat free Catalina.. it's about 50 cals for two tablespoons.
  • janiem1987
    janiem1987 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms in the health food section at HyVee has a bunch of 0 calorie dressings.

Target also has some 15-20 calorie options in their Archer Farms brand.
  • duniep
    duniep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kraft Fat-free french is delicious, and so is the lite version of Newman's Own basalmic vinegarette.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a marketside buttermilk ranch that comes in a clear tub thing in the vegetable section. It's WAY better than any other light ranch I've tried. It's about 50 calories for 2 TBSP.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse has a wide assortment of dressings and most are under 50 calories for 2 tbsp (in the fridge section of the veggie aisle). I tried walden farms and it tastes alright but I poured some on my baked potato one day and it seperated and look chalky and I just couldn't eat it anymore.
  • mel6chi
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette. It tastes great and is only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons. They also have a poppy seed dressing my husband likes, but this one is my favorite. And 95 mg sodium & 3 g carbs.

http://www.maplegrove.com/product_detail.asp?pid=22
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I recommend using low fat and not fat free. Only reason I chose that over fat free is the sugar and increased carbs they add to fat free. Low fat oil and vinegar or low fat raspberry walnut. Ken's brand has a good selection, if that brand is offered where you are located! :)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the fat free dressing are not really good for you because the sodium is very high...

i dont know if they have bolthouse where you are but those are good tasting low calories dressings. the oil based ones are organic and the creamy ones are yogurt based and they are about 35-70calories per serving which is very good considering where some of the others rank in
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    salad vinegar
  • small_town_jubilant
    Options
    I love using Wishbone Spray Dressings....at around 1 calorie per spray and my average salad needing around 20 sprays, I average around only 20 calories in dressing!
    There are tons of flavors to choose from, and although I prefer the vinegarette style ones(Italian, Balsamic Vinegarette, etc) the ranch is a good substitute for the high calorie-high fat dressing. HTH
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Check out an olive oil/vinegar store (they seem to be popping up everywhere). Get a nice flavored oil and/or flavored vinegar. I'd go about 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, and I find about a tablespoon is enough for my whole salad. It is about 100 calories of pure deliciousness with no weird additives of shelf dressings.

I can't see where you are from to find a close one, but here is an example
    http://www.theolivetap.com/
    http://www.vvoliveoil.com/

Also, I've had berry and chocolate flavored basalmics that make excellent ice cream toppings with virtually no calories!
  • SMiller074
    SMiller074 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i really like Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian. 15 for 2 tablespoons. Its good as a marinade too
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    These are two extremes - very opposite but I like them both.

First red wine vinegar or some other vinegar. Nice and tart

On the sweet side I like a Paula Deen Vadia Honey Mustard. 2 Tablespoons 60 calories
  • joasiula
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick reply !!
    I live in Ireland so that might be tricky to get brands that where mentioned, but I can check in a health shops they may have some of this brands if not i can try to look for them online !!
    thanks again !!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Kraft fat free dressings are suprisingly good.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    http://www.nealhendrickson.com/McDougall/2004nl/040800purecipes.htm

CREAMY GARLIC DRESSING

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
    Servings: makes 2 cups

1 box (12.3 ounces) firm lite silken tofu
    4-6 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons tahini
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    3 teaspoons honey
    freshly ground pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy.

Hints: The garlic and dill do not have to be finely chopped. They will be processed along with the other ingredients. The amount of garlic may be increased or decreased according to your tastes. Add a bit more soy sauce to taste, if necessary. Flavors will intensify during refrigeration.

BERRY VINAIGRETTE

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
    Servings: makes 1½ cups

2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries or raspberries
    4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons honey

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.

HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
    Servings: makes 1¼ cups

½ cup rice vinegar
    ½ cup balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup honey
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use tomatoes for "dressing." With the right mix of different foods, you don't necessarily need to add oil on top of it all.
  • jenkins22
    Options
    My husband and I both love Allison's House Sweet n Spicy dressing. Only 70 calories for 2 tablespoons. You might have to order it online, since I think you can only get it in the Midwest. It would be worth it tho, because usually 1 tablespoon is enough for a large salad, and it is awesome on chicken breast too!
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try using salsa as a salad dressing (chopped tomatoes, lime juice, diced onions, cilantro, salt to taste and some cumin). I add salsa and some low fat sour cream to my salads. Add veggies like bell peppers, jalepenos, shredded carrots and it tastes great.
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    Lemon juice.