Excercising hard, eating right...still the same weight after

Options
Anybody have an idea what might be going on with me? :angry:

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? For me, losing inches is the first indication that I'm doing something right.
    I know it's super discouraging not to see the number on the scale move...but keep at it. It'll go down eventually if you do.
    Good luck!!
  • thefinn
    thefinn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to measure the exact portions against the values on the packets you use. Many entries in the database are inaccurate so don't assume they represent what you eat. New people tend to underestimate what they eat. Measure every gram individually in the first few weeks rather than guessing. After a whole you will now what 30g of cereal looks like. Also put everything in the diary, even low cal things like fruit. If you are unsure on size or weight of what you eat add 50% to your estimate to allow for inaccuracies.

Due to the principles of thermo-dynamics if you burn up more calories than you consume, then you lose weight. If you are doing every thing 100% accurate and not losing weight, then you need medical help.
  • raff
    raff Posts: 1
    Options
    If your really be honest with yourself and are really counting calories and setting goals:smile: ; then their is an alternative to have a food intolerance test. It will tell you what food not to eat at this moment in time:happy:
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    - That has happened to me before and often I find that at my next weigh in I have lost a little more than expected (e.g. 1 1/2 lbs instead of 1 lb)
    - A reply to a similar post suggested looking at sodium intake because that can cause fluid retention which will result in not losing weight or even weight going up a pound or two. I had never thought of that and thought it made a lot of sense to look at that.
    - Consider how your clothes fit instead of just the number on the scale. Are they looser?
    - Finally, I have seen a lot of posts on this issue and have had the same issue myself so I think it's fairly common. But keep it up and it will show.
  • cmzamora
    cmzamora Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've lost 10 pounds. I'm eating right, and working out. I've been the same weight for almost 2 weeks. I'm very frustrated. A friend suggested that I switch up different workouts. So I am trying that. We shall see. Good Luck to you.
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    i started my weight-loss journey in dec and in jan, i was still the same weight - but i had lost 5 inches. (i go to curves and they weigh & measure you every month). i know part of it was eating over Christmas, but still --- i had been working out at curves, watching what i ate, and running on the treadmill regularly. i was very discouraged... but the pounds finally started coming off.. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
    i was recently stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks and decided to go on an all raw diet for 1 week... almost done... and it really helped get me going! (i am vegan so it isn't much of a stretch for me!!) and it was really eye opening to see how much i tend to nibble on the kids' lunches when i am fixing them, when i fix their dinners, sampling snack brought in to preschool... i didn't do any of that this last week and i am certain that helped! i hope i can keep it up!!
    don't get too discouraged --- keep working hard and take measurements!!
    :o)
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    What are your calorie goals set at? Are you eating your exercise calories? And are you eating right, or just hitting the calorie mark? How long have you been at this to be so frustrated? Oh, so many questions...
  • HiatusRoadBassist
    Options
    Right now, my daily calorie requirement is 2620. That is what I am required to consume for the day...before I do any excercise. I am like 290 now and I set my goal at 235 and that is the figure that MFP came up with for me. Usually when I work out, I burn about 550 - 600 calories on the machine that I use. So really, my calorie requirement would go up to 3100 calories a day...if you are supposed to be eating back the calories you work out. This is the case, correct? That you are supposed to consume back the calories you burn off working out? The thing is this, everyday I eat right. I have oatmeal, or egg whites and some kind of protein and fruit for breakfast, I've been weighing all my food and portioning everything according to the recommended serving size. I am tracking everything that I intake. I have salads, and meat/fish, veggies etc for dinner. I keep up with healthy recommended snacks during the day. I haven't eaten fried or nasty fatty foods for weeks now. But I still have no idea what I have to do to keep up with those 3100 calories a day. I feel like if I eat that much food to make it up to that amount, that it's not going to help me lose weight because I feel like I am consuming a huge amount of food everyday. Help!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    @ hiatus

I'm with you I've been doing this since Jan 12th. Ive lost some weight but I don't feel like Its enough based on what Ive done. I work my but off 4-6 times a week and I log every morsel of food or drink that goes in my mouth. I switched to eating my workout calories after I read an article on here but I am back to not eating them.

I'm not suggesting you do that I'm just giving you my personal experience.

I stopped eating my exercise calories because I was stuffing myself. I couldn't eat enough to make my calories up. I felt like I was keeping my stomach stretched just to eat those extra calories. If I worked out hard I was having to eat almost 2 additional complete meals and when I'm working out in the evenings its tough to replace 600-800 calories after 7 or 8 pm. I haven't eaten fast food since January but I firmly believe something disgusting like a double cheeseburger is the only way to regain those calories with out gorging yourself. If someone else has a better Idea I'm willing to listen but I also want to mention that. I'm not even remotely hungry so I'm forcing myself to eat these calories that supposedly I need.

how are you supposed to practice portion control when you have to force yourself to eat 3 chicken breasts a 5 cups of salad 2 apples, 1 cup of brown rice all in meal just to get all your calories back. In my opinion its Bull!

You cant have portion control and eat your calories back something is broken.

If I only eat nuts like some might suggest to regain those calories I have to eat 3/4c to 1c of almonds to get 600 calories and in the process I end up taking in 48 grams of fat from those 3 servings of nuts.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread I'm frustrated too...
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat!! I have been working my tail off for 2 weeks and I have not seen any differences! So I went to the Dr. today and he is checking my thyroid, I should know Monday what the results are of that test. He feels like if I am doing as much work as I am something should be coming off of me!

It is so disappointing when I see how much everyone else is losing and I know I am working hard too, but I have nothing to show for it. It makes me not want to try so hard! But I really do want to be healthy and lose all this extra weight!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Right now, my daily calorie requirement is 2620. That is what I am required to consume for the day...before I do any excercise. I am like 290 now and I set my goal at 235 and that is the figure that MFP came up with for me. Usually when I work out, I burn about 550 - 600 calories on the machine that I use. So really, my calorie requirement would go up to 3100 calories a day...if you are supposed to be eating back the calories you work out. This is the case, correct? That you are supposed to consume back the calories you burn off working out? The thing is this, everyday I eat right. I have oatmeal, or egg whites and some kind of protein and fruit for breakfast, I've been weighing all my food and portioning everything according to the recommended serving size. I am tracking everything that I intake. I have salads, and meat/fish, veggies etc for dinner. I keep up with healthy recommended snacks during the day. I haven't eaten fried or nasty fatty foods for weeks now. But I still have no idea what I have to do to keep up with those 3100 calories a day. I feel like if I eat that much food to make it up to that amount, that it's not going to help me lose weight because I feel like I am consuming a huge amount of food everyday. Help!

what is your height and activity level?

the reason why I ask, is because in order for your goal calories to be 2650 and have a 2 lb per week goal, you'd have to have a maintenance cals of somewhere around 3650 calories, and for that you'd have to be extremely tall, and extremely active (somewhere along the lines of very active like a fitness instructor or something similar, and about 6 foot 5 or so)

Put it this way, I was 6'2" and 235 lbs and moderately active (and 33 ) when I first started and my maintenance calories was 2750.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I did weight watchers, which is really similar to MFP except in person and lots of money, they would always say that you eat your exercise calories only if you're still really famished. I'd say try not eating all of them for awhile. I'm not an expert, but if you eat ALL the calories you've burned, doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising to lose weight? Of course you still get the benefits for your heart and muscles and such, but the simple math is that you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight.

As long as you have enough fuel in your system to get you through your workouts, you should be fine. I've trained for a few marathons and the general recommendation is to eat a few hundred calories of carbs/protein a little while before your workout and you should be golden. That and hydrating, of course. And if you're working out hard for longer than about an hour, you refuel with 100 cals or so every 45 minutes to prevent cramps and losing steam.

Hope this is helpful! As with any advice, take what you like and scrap what you don't like :) And stay positive!
  • kylesmom1402
    Options
    I would say that you are possibly gaining muscle, which we all know weighs more than fat, but doesn't take up near the space! Don't get frustrated, just keep doing what you are doing. Eventually the weight will HAVE to come off. If you do everything "properly" and you aren't losing after say a couple of months, then I would suggest a quick trip to the doc just to make sure something more serious isn't going on.
    Best of luck to you!!