Why do we have To Drink So Much Water

Is there a reason ?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    To hydrate you without needing to get that liquid from food. It also fills you up and tricks your body into thinking it's full and doesn't need food.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    I've read so many articles for it, and against it. I say, drink when you're thirsty.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    How much is so much?

Drink when you're thirsty.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Is there a reason ?

Myth. You don't.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Yes! It seriously helps. Every time I get cautious about my sodium intake, I shoot for 2300, I drink extra water because it helps you lose weight by forcing you to get rid of any excess water. Also when you're having a serious workout and sweating a lot water replenishes you so you don't get dehydrated. Some people drink water to avoid hunger if they're trying to wait until their next meal. Honestly, I know 8 cups is recommended but I shoot for 12 minimum! They have all sorts of stuff you can put in water now if you really hate it, but you definitely have to drink it!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    if you don't drink water you will die
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    water lobbyists. pfffft.
  • simplydawnb
    simplydawnb Posts: 6 Member
    128 oz a day...trainer recommended. Gets rid of sodium in my system...keeps body running well...keeps me full. Totally worth it.
  • kaneaap
    kaneaap Posts: 13 Member
    Good question. I'm not a nutritionist or dietitian or doctor, but whenever you inquire how much water to drink, it's typically 8 glasses per day. Ok so now my rationale . . . . (1) If you drink water before you eat, it will trick your stomach into thinking it's fuller than what it is, hence, curbs your appetite. (2) It helps flush your body of toxins, retained water, etc which will make for a healthier you.
  • If your thirsty your already dehydrated
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Well, I'm not a water chugger.

I went to a nutritionist many years ago she said 1 glass of water for every 25 lbs of body weight.
    For my current weight I would require 6 cups of water.

Recently read a study that compared hydration effects of coffee compared to water, they for all intents and purposes you CAN count a cup of coffee as equivalent to a cup of water. (though it IS marginally less effective)

I don't PUSH myself to drink and generally consume as a matter of course:
    A 16oz coffee in the AM.
    A 10oz coffee with lunch
    Refill my 16oz cup with water for my evening train ride home.
    Then have a cup or two of tea with dinner and my nighttime snack.

That comes to about figuring my tea mugs are about 10oz. that totals out to about 62 ounces close to 8 cups.
    I figure I'm doing okay.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    to flush toxins out of the kidneys, especially if you are on a high protein diet.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    To hydrate you without needing to get that liquid from food. It also fills you up and tricks your body into thinking it's full and doesn't need food.
    it actually makes me hungrier. . .o.O
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    I have found it helps my digestive system, and also I get really grumpy and tired if I don't stay hydrated. You can tell when you need water, the 8 glasses a day was just a set number to shoot for. Like with everything, everyone is different. some people are ok with less, some with more :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    128 oz a day...trainer recommended. Gets rid of sodium in my system...keeps body running well...keeps me full. Totally worth it.

This, plus it keeps headaches away and makes me feel generally healthy. I feel way better after a day with 8 cups of water versus 4 cups, with everything else being the same.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Because it's awesome! No, seriously it helps with everyday bodily functions and is good for skin, sleep, and staying hydrated. I'm a reformed caffeine addict and all I drink is water now!
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Well...you don't have to. You can survive on a whole lot less. But, my theory (and I have some reasonable backup for it) it this:
    1. Water is good for you. It makes your body work better to have the appropriate amount on board.
    2. It's not what your drinking...it's what you aren't. I.E. -- if you drink 64 ounces of water, you are less likely to want to consume high calorie drinks like sodas or sweetened coffee or tea.
    3. It's a filler. You drink more, you might eat less.
    4. 64 ounces of water isn't going to hurt you, is it? Why the fuss? (Unless of course you have a medical condition that requires you to limit your fluid intake.)

That pretty much sums it up. Most nutritionists and practitioners that I know suggest the 8x8 rule as a good generally goal...even if you don't get there everyday, getting most of the way there is good too.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    there is alot of misinformation out there. sodium is not the devil. unless there is something wrong with ur organs(kidneys, heart) dont worry about sodium. ur body uses what it needs and gets rid of the rest. also it not the amount of sodium its the sodium fluctuations that our bodies react to. let ur body due its thing. trying to regulate ur bodies processes is not usually successful. just drink enough.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Scientists did studies to determine how much fluid we lose in urine, sweating, evaporation from the skin, etc, and that's where the 64 ounces per day comes from. It's an estimate, however. Some people - particularly very active people in hot climates - need more. And some need less. But it's a good minimal average to shoot for. (And yes, other fluids count as "water" also)