"You're so moody and mean since you're on a diet!"

Options
Have people ever commented on your emotions ever since you've started changing your old habits?

My brother is the one that comments most on it. Mainly because I have to turn him down on going out for food or can't go do something, because I have to work out or my diet doesn't allow it. Yet, he continuous to offer. Which is very sweet, but I have almost zero self control as it is. Takes almost all my effort not to blow up sometimes. And, yes that makes me mean/upset knowing that I can't have/do things.

Does anyone else go through something similar?

Replies

• PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Fat cells are full of estrogen. Losing weight makes me feel like I have permanent PMS.
  • sarahmartin2011
    sarahmartin2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i feel headachy and grumpy most of the time, im hoping this will pass as i carry on
  • blsipma
    Options
    OMG YES. I thought at first I was PMSing, then I realized I've been cutting WAY back and working out and its' making me so damn crabby! My bf just brought it up this morning that I've been crabby lately...and THAT made me mad too! haha

It makes it easier to try to make plans around going for walks to dog park or something that's an activity, rather than dinner. But i 100% know how you feel! Hang in there!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you guys miss each other :( And you're getting upset because it seems like your diet is blocking the relationship.

I bet as long as you plan ahead, you'll be able to hang out with anybody and eat just about anything.

I mean if you make popcorn in an air popper you can eat tons and watch a movie at home. Or go out and have a beer.

Be creative! Changing your food habits shouldn't have to mean you stop hanging out with people you love.

And to answer your question, yes, I get cranky on a very low calorie diet. (I tried it for a couple months then realized it's not worth it and not going the way I wanted it to, anyways.) I'm still healthy. But when someone cooks me dinner, I don't ask what was in it-- I just eat it.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I had this a couple of weeks ago with my fiance. I was running late (as usual) to work, as I had been for a run, made us lunches, done the laundry and then just before I'm about to walk out the door he hit me up about it. "I feel like we're missing eachother". As in, I spend all my time preparing healthy food and exercising and while I'm doing that he's doing other stuff around the house, and then we sit on the couch, watch TV and ignore eachother before crashing out from exhaustion.

Our resolution to the problem was that we made a date night (which is tonight! YAY). Obviously you're not gonna go on date night with your brother, but the point is to make sure you make time for the people who are important in your life.

If this is a lifestyle change, not a short term thing, you need to incorporate these people in your lifestyle. So much is about planning in advance!
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you guys miss each other :( And you're getting upset because it seems like your diet is blocking the relationship.

I bet as long as you plan ahead, you'll be able to hang out with anybody and eat just about anything.

I mean if you make popcorn in an air popper you can eat tons and watch a movie at home. Or go out and have a beer.

Be creative! Changing your food habits shouldn't have to mean you stop hanging out with people you love.

And to answer your question, yes, I get cranky on a very low calorie diet. (I tried it for a couple months then realized it's not worth it and not going the way I wanted it to, anyways.) I'm still healthy. But when someone cooks me dinner, I don't ask what was in it-- I just eat it.

Thank you for the advice. It's kind of hard when the family depends on me to be ready at a drop of a hat to do something, it ruins my plans for the day. And I think having control is the best thing for a diet, so losing that is so upsetting.

I'd also love to plan ahead for all of my eating, but a lot of the time (financially) I have to depend on what I can get out of the pantry and fridge last minute (and a lot of the time what I planned is gone).

I've increased my calories over the last couple of months, haven't seen as much weight loss but there have been less headaches and tiredness.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    I understand that mindset, but you have to break it. The best way to learn something is to practice it, so why not start going out with him once a week? See if maybe you have more willpower than you think you do. If you slip up and order potato skins (or whatever), ask for a box and pack away half of them as soon as you tthem. Or just eat them once a week - it will not derail your weight loss to have that once in a while.

Keep going out until you've devised ways to resist the potato skins. You have to practice. You can't avoid forever. You and your brother need a relationship.

It's about a pattern of behavior over a long period of time, you know this already after all your great success.
  • jmeyer925
    Options
    I had this a couple of weeks ago with my fiance. I was running late (as usual) to work, as I had been for a run, made us lunches, done the laundry and then just before I'm about to walk out the door he hit me up about it. "I feel like we're missing eachother". As in, I spend all my time preparing healthy food and exercising and while I'm doing that he's doing other stuff around the house, and then we sit on the couch, watch TV and ignore eachother before crashing out from exhaustion.

Our resolution to the problem was that we made a date night (which is tonight! YAY). Obviously you're not gonna go on date night with your brother, but the point is to make sure you make time for the people who are important in your life.

If this is a lifestyle change, not a short term thing, you need to incorporate these people in your lifestyle. So much is about planning in advance!

Making time is very important, have a great time on your date!!

I think I have to get over my resolve of him not understaning a lot of what I'm going through. He's that type of guy that has lost over 100 pounds just in 1 summer by changing a few things. Now he's put a lot back on and weighs almost what I did before I started my long journey. So I think he just doesn't understand that things are REALLY hard for me, and I don't want to start at square one again.

Thank you all again for your own stories and advice!
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the boyfriend says I'm a b*tch much more often now that I'm dieting. We're such a healthy couple.
  • jmeyer925
    Options
    Yeah, the boyfriend says I'm a b*tch much more often now that I'm dieting. We're such a healthy couple.

Well I hope that he really didn't phrase it like that! At least now maybe you can try some new healthy things!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Having the discipline to lose 127 pounds means exerting a tremendous amount of control over your environment and behavior. Your brother is trying to make a hole in that control, not to sabotage you, but to be close to you. Threats to that control can make you snappish, though. I know, I get that way too sometimes!

Relationships are as important to your health as healthy food and exercise. You're going to have find a way to make room for him and activities you can do together. Once you find a way to work him into your current lifestyle, it won't seem like a threat to all you've accomplished and you'll be able to look forward to your time together.

Find a few restaurants you can eat at with him where you know you can order something "safe." Go workout together. Be more flexible about when you workout so you can both see him and exercise. Maybe that means asking him to make plans with you 24 hours in advance so you aren't caught off guard.

When he's trying your patience, try to remember how lucky you are that you have someone close in your life who wants to spend time with you. That's a wonderful thing!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the opposite problem. I was meane fat.... miserable me = miserable everyone else.

The only time I hulk out now is if I'm not eating enough. Not eating enough = crazy beyotch rage
  • jmeyer925
    Options
    My brother is also quoted as saying, "I liked Fat Jessie better! Skinny Jessie is mean! Bring back Fat Jessie!" Which is a scary thought of course, and I'm sure he doesn't acutally MEAN that I should gain the weight back.

And the problem is, he and I do spend a lot of time together. He lost his license, so I have to be the one to drive him around. Just his personality too I suppose. Think I just need to space myself enough that I feel like I have better control.

Great advice and comments! thank you all
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Well I hope that he really didn't phrase it like that! At least now maybe you can try some new healthy things!

If he actually said it like that, I'd push him down a flight of stairs. See? Healthy couple! Lmao.

In all honesty, though, I've been SUPER moody since starting to diet again. The first week or so was because I was hungry all the time. Now I'm just feeling... bleh.