Female runners

Options
Did any of you female runners cont to run through your pregnancy? If so, what distance and for how long into the pregnancy? Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Bump for my own future interest.
    A few women I know kept running. One of my pregnant friends ended up not being able to physically run as per doctors orders but got herself a floating belt and "ran" laps in the pool.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wish! I felt so so sick the first 4 months I could hardly make it through the day let alone run.
    Then by the time I felt better it made me have to pee, urgently, immediately upon starting running even if I'd just gone, and then soon after I got all huuuuge and bumbly, so I just gave up. It took me a while to get back into shape after each time, so I'd recommend giving it a try if you feel you can do it.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really with my first as I wasn't quite a runner yet anyways.

With my second, I made it to like 4-5 months-ish, never much further than 3 miles on a good day. But I kept doing low impact cardio until about 8 months.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Marathoner Paula Radcliffe, Kara Goucher, and those women did all the way until the end. :noway:

My sons are 9 and 10 now, but back when I got pregnant with DS#1, I ran until month 7, usually no more than 3 miles max. Then I just started getting unwieldy and bit a clumsy so I walked. But I would walk MILES. And then in month 8 and 9, I did water jogging and lots of pool based stuff (being weightless felt sooooo good).
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My mother and I recently had a "heated discussion" about this. I said that I wanted to be as fit as possible before getting pregnant so that I can keep running/exercising throughout and therefore have a (hopefully) healthier pregnancy and recover faster.
    This was apparently the worst possible thing I could've said and she was horrified at the thought of me running while pregnant and proceeded to lecture me on the do's and dont's of pregnancy and basically threatened to have me on bedrest from the word go lol.
    Now don't get me wrong I greatly value her opinion on most everything else but on this one she is so WRONG! personally I feel that as long as you are exercising before you get pregnant and feel able to continue then there is no reason not to. Phew! Rant over lol x
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant but would love to see some stories! I ran with a very pregnant lady in my 1/2 marathon on Sunday so some do continue to run! :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    My mother and I recently had a "heated discussion" about this. I said that I wanted to be as fit as possible before getting pregnant so that I can keep running/exercising throughout and therefore have a (hopefully) healthier pregnancy and recover faster.
    This was apparently the worst possible thing I could've said and she was horrified at the thought of me running while pregnant and proceeded to lecture me on the do's and dont's of pregnancy and basically threatened to have me on bedrest from the word go lol.
    Now don't get me wrong I greatly value her opinion on most everything else but on this one she is so WRONG! personally I feel that as long as you are exercising before you get pregnant and feel able to continue then there is no reason not to. Phew! Rant over lol x

My MIL is the same way. I think it is bc of their generation and their way of thinking. I remember my MIL yelling at my cousin for taking a walk when she was 6 mths pregnant!! Being pregnant does not mean you become disabled and most physicians will say it is safe as long as you were running beforehand. She has another thing coming if she thinks I am just going to lay around and do nothing!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    one of my friend ran 5 or 6 marathons while pregnant (she's going to deliver any day now)

the key is she was running that much before she was pregnant
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My sister ran up until the week before she gave birth. Prior to pregnancy she was running 3-4 miles 3-4x per week and that's what she kept up. Granted she did slow down a bit. She was so funny, after her last run before becoming a mom she called me and said, "I decided I needed to start acting like a pregnant lady."

I know a few others who also were able to keep up their running several months into pregnancy. The key is what your fitness level is prior, because that's what your OB will let you stick with.

I may have kids one day and if medically able, I fully intend to run through it's entirety.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    one of my friend ran 5 or 6 marathons while pregnant (she's going to deliver any day now)

the key is she was running that much before she was pregnant
    This is interesting to me, I have run marathons and would like to cont through pregnancy. Did she wear a HRM?
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I ran till the week I delivered my last child. I was running before pregnancy and was given the all clear from the doc to continue doing so for as long as I was comfortable.