your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am the designated cornbread dressing maker....I took that the first thanksgiving I attended with my hubby's family and all the women said they were never making it again, it was now permanently my job lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Between my mom and I, we have homemade pecan pie, 7-layer jello salad, sausage balls (she makes those as I don't like them) and microwave fudge!

microwave fudge? do tell how this works! I want to make fudge so badly!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    what is it? do you have a recipe that you can share so that we can all benefit from your expertise?

mine: green bean casserole (from the French's french fried onion can) and cheesecakes.

CLARIFICATION:

what i mean is--what do YOU MAKE for the holidays that everyone loves?

Mine is also green bean casserole!! I always make it for potluck gatherings or family dinners. My grandmother always puts in her request for it early on! Lol
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Almond poppy seed bundt cake....I give it as gifts and I get requests for the recipe all the time.. NO way!

Eggnog pumpkin pie

Caramel pecan pie

Do you see a trend here?? lol

sound yummy....would you share recipes for all or at least top 2 ??????

The pumpkin pie is easy, just substitute eggnog for the condensed milk (I go by the recipe on the back of the can of pumpkin)

For the caramel pecan pie, melt 36 caramels (unwrapped) with a couple of TBS of butter and a splash of water on LOW heat. It takes awhile and you have to sit there and stir it a lot. Use this instead of corn syrup in the pie.

The bundt cake remains my secret :bigsmile:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Strawberry trifle. Here's what it looks like, the recipe in the link is NOT the recipe I use (mine is way way better) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Trifle

I use strawberries, cubes of pound cake, homemade whipped cream, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar.

Blend the whipped cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla, and layer with the berries and cake. I've been making it since I was 16!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Caramel Crispix
    Oreo truffle balls
    Chocolate dipped PB ritz
    Sugar Cookies, cut outs, frosted
    Caramel/rice krispie marshmallows

Just to name a few :)
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i made some pretty wicked brown butter chocolate chip cookies

cookies3.jpg

i also make this other batch with big chocolate discs in place of the chips so you end up with this layered thing happening within the cookie (bad pic but the only one i have)

6392622019_f9cb040193.jpg

my millionaire bars

cookies5.jpg

my new treats for this year are going to be my brown butter dulce de leche cookies

dulcecookie4_md.jpg

and my tim tam oat bars

bar1_md.jpg

i also make a mean baked macaroni and cheese that is always requested. i use the martha stewart recipe with some slight modification and it's a huge hit every time.

another bad pic but all i have

255246_10151024968753244_1853081436_n.jpg
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I make the best home made honey ham ever. I make my own glazed and baby that ham along. I also make a killer apple pie and mini cheesecake tarts
  • kstocker05
    kstocker05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i made some pretty wicked brown butter chocolate chip cookies

cookies3.jpg

i also make this other batch with big chocolate discs in place of the chips so you end up with this layered thing happening within the cookie (bad pic but the only one i have)

6392622019_f9cb040193.jpg

my millionaire bars

cookies5.jpg

my new treats for this year are going to be my brown butter dulce de leche cookies

dulcecookie4_md.jpg

and my tim tam oat bars

bar1_md.jpg

i also make a mean baked macaroni and cheese that is always requested. i use the martha stewart recipe with some slight modification and it's a huge hit every time.

another bad pic but all i have

255246_10151024968753244_1853081436_n.jpg

Wow!!! I need the recipie to your millionaire bars, those look amazing!
  • kstocker05
    kstocker05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My family always has the same request for me......my deviled eggs, beer bread and cottage cheese pie (turns out more like custard)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I always make the entire dinner from scratch every year - what everyone loves the most is the turkey and the individual pumpkin pies.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    twice baked potato casserole. nom nom
  • stpetegirl
    Options
    I make a killer praline sweet potato casserole using fresh sweet potatoes and a great squash casserole for Thanksgiving dinner. Dessert's are chocolate cheesecake and fresh apple pie along with chocolate oatmeal cookies and no bake peanut butter fudge. I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen between November and December!!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve I usually make sausage and peppers - using turkey sausage, and red & green peppers of course! (Washed down with Ravenswood Zinfandel :drinker: )

Otherwise I don't have any real "holiday specialties", but I am often asked to make my sweet n savory sausage rolls for things like baby shower brunches etc... I have renamed them "My tribute to morbid obesity"... breakfast sausages wrapped in crescent rolls and drowned in a syrup made with butter and brown sugar and chopped nuts.... I no longer make them for any meal eaten in my home, only for group events where they will be shared amongst many to save myself from myself....

Thanksgiving has been a difficult holiday for many years - 1st marriage, father in law passed away on Thanksgiving Day; 2nd marriage, mother in law passed away on Thanksgiving Day... Now I am single and usually spend the holiday with my BFF's in-laws and I have no cooking responsibilities!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Almond poppy seed bundt cake....I give it as gifts and I get requests for the recipe all the time.. NO way!

Eggnog pumpkin pie

Caramel pecan pie

Do you see a trend here?? lol

sound yummy....would you share recipes for all or at least top 2 ??????

The pumpkin pie is easy, just substitute eggnog for the condensed milk (I go by the recipe on the back of the can of pumpkin)

For the caramel pecan pie, melt 36 caramels (unwrapped) with a couple of TBS of butter and a splash of water on LOW heat. It takes awhile and you have to sit there and stir it a lot. Use this instead of corn syrup in the pie.

The bundt cake remains my secret :bigsmile:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
  • konekkobaba
    Options
    Egg Nog Bundt cake with rum frosting..mmm..
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I make an amazing traditional Thanksgiving dinner mostly from scratch -- the whole works always turns out amazing!

I also bake a whole bunch of Christmas cookies and treats: gingerbread men, frosted cut-out sugar cookies, soft sugar cookies, gingerbread popcorn, regular and peanut butter fudge, and usually a few other things. I give cookie trays as gifts and bring them in for the people in my department to enjoy.

Christmas Eve dinner is always crab legs with twice-baked potatoes.

New Years is always a homemade New York cheesecake and prime rib.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I make GF Anise cookies that go quickly. I also make a chocolate pie that never makes it through the day.
  • FiestyIrish
    Options
    Chocolate Chip or White Chocolate Macademia Nut Cookies. Every family member, friend, coworker, acquaintance...all of them ask me to bake them some cookies. I don't really do anything special with them. It's just the recipe on the back of the Hershey Chocolate Chips bag with a double dose of vanilla. (Not vanilla extract, pay a little extra to get real vanilla. It makes a world of difference.) But everyone swears they just can't get them to come out like mine. I think they're just being lazy. :tongue: Can't blame 'em. It is a pretty time-consuming project and I really don't mind. I kinda like baking during the holidays.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Egg Nog Bundt cake with rum frosting..mmm..

You have got to post this recipe! PUUULLLEEEZE????