your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    cornbread casserole, every holiday - every year, forever. Yummy!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I cook a big holiday feast, and I usually do everything from scratch as a tradition since I'm the oldest woman in my generation that knows how to cook. It usually takes me 3 days to cook it all.

This year, the menu is:

Home-smoked ham in lieu of turkey
    homemade gravy made from ham drippings
    mashed potatoes (red potatoes with skin made with whole milk, unsalted fresh butter, and salt)
    spoonbread (family recipe of baked grits with the consistency of a loaf)
    green beans with roasted almonds
    pinto beans cooked in ham hock and lard
    3 loaves homemade bread (french, whole wheat, and cornbread)
    sweet potato casserole
    cranberry sauce
    blackberry sauce
    deviled eggs
    pecan pie
    pumpkin pie
    my grandmother's strawberry cake

We usually have between 10 and 20 people eating holiday dinner with us.
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Twice-baked SWEET potatoes. Several different versions.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    On the years we've hosted Thanksgiving, I've made homemade sugar-free cranberry sauce. It takes awhile to cook the berries til they pop and get the right mix of splenda (with a touch of orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg) into it, but it's been pretty popular.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i make a kick-*kitten* gingerbread

i've had to ration my offers to bake it because it takes so long to decorate to my liking, but everyone raves when i make them.

ginger flashers for a rude food party
    8120537316_0b0a045d25_n.jpg[/url]

ginger ninjas for the coolest chick i know
    8120521709_e161b76206.jpg[/url]

ginger Aussies for a departing kiwi
    8120537484_67a5328a0f_n.jpg[/url]
  • akw1989
    Options
    these all look so good!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving, Mum roasts a PERFECT turkey - I get the leftovers and make a KILLER turkey chowder that's amazingly low in fat and calories. Everyone wants to take some home with them! :wink:

Christmas, Mum makes her famous French onion soup. I always fail in making hollandaise sauce for the asparagus. It came out perfect the FIRST time I made it, so it became my responsibility - and it never came out right again! :laugh:

My BEST specialty is a Weight Watchers recipe for fruited bread pudding that will knock your socks off! I pour a full 'nip' of spiced rum into the light half-and-half which gives it an AWESOME flavor!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Almond poppy seed bundt cake....I give it as gifts and I get requests for the recipe all the time.. NO way!

Eggnog pumpkin pie

Caramel pecan pie

Do you see a trend here?? lol

sound yummy....would you share recipes for all or at least top 2 ??????

The pumpkin pie is easy, just substitute eggnog for the condensed milk (I go by the recipe on the back of the can of pumpkin)

For the caramel pecan pie, melt 36 caramels (unwrapped) with a couple of TBS of butter and a splash of water on LOW heat. It takes awhile and you have to sit there and stir it a lot. Use this instead of corn syrup in the pie.

The bundt cake remains my secret :bigsmile:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Same here.......thanks for sharing!!!!
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Chocolate fudge, the real candy kind, just like my grandma used to make.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm the family cook, so I make everything!

The favorites are:

Layered pumpkin spice cake with homemade pecan brittle
    Wild mushroom dressing (with homemade bread)
    And tomatoes that are slow roasted in oil and herbs for spreading on bread. These are DEVOURED every year.
  • itskaraxx
    Options
    ButterScotchBubbleLoafLarge.jpg

We make that.
    Caramel Bubble Loaf.
    While it may be the opposite end of healthy, it certainly is delicious!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,196,147177-235195,00.html
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    i make a kick-*kitten* gingerbread

i've had to ration my offers to bake it because it takes so long to decorate to my liking, but everyone raves when i make them.

ginger flashers for a rude food party
    8120537316_0b0a045d25_n.jpg[/url]

ginger ninjas for the coolest chick i know
    8120521709_e161b76206.jpg[/url]

ginger Aussies for a departing kiwi
    8120537484_67a5328a0f_n.jpg[/url]

That is so cute! :flowerforyou:
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    This time of year I typically make up batches of pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes for my husbands office. They LOVE them.
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    Caramel Apple pie, but it's a family recipe that I am not allowed to share.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I make cornbread stuffing that is a to die for meal in itself and if I dont make it I will be disowned!

my cornbread stuffing has in it:
    corn bread, mild sausage, diced apples, celery, onion, dried cranberries, white wine, red pepper flakes, romano cheese, chicken stock, chopped roasted chestnuts, salt and black pepper to taste, all mixed together and baked till lightly golden on top.

devour super yummy in the tummy, then colapse into a food induced comma for several hours!

thank you!

pm: me if you want the recipe.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    my mac n cheese! my family gets ANGRY if i don't make two because the first one is gone within mins lol
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    my mashed potatoes. I use Yukon Gold taters and boil them in Swanson's chicken broth for extra flavor and then after I drain and mash them I whip them with milk, real butter, and cream cheese. Salt, pepper, and fresh chives. They are not diet friendly.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Also I make cookies called Kolacky's which are not a special recipe but Ive been making them for 20 yrs, they are a cream cheese based refridgerated and rolled cookie dough that is then filled with whatever flavor of fruit preserves you like and after baking dusted with powdered sugar, over the years I find that apricot and seedless raspberry work best. I have given these out as christmas treats for years, even mailed them to mfp friends last year who are now helplessly addicted.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Collard greens.

Saute an onion and add a ham hock. Add six cups of low sodium chicken broth (not water...that's the secret). Simmer for an hour. Pull hock meat and leave in the broth. Add collards after tearing the leaves from stems and simmer for 30-45 minutes until tender. They should twirl on a fork like pasta.