Question about fortune cookies

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
On-going very long term argument:

Does the fortune apply to the person that cracks the cookie, or the person that received the cookie?

Discuss

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The person who eats it. If it was the person who receives it, then when you get takeout why would they give you a cookie for every person? Since it would then only apply to the person who picked up the food.
  • neverstray
    Options
    The person who eats it. If it was the person who receives it, then when you get takeout why would they give you a cookie for every person? Since it would then only apply to the person who picked up the food.

Yes, we get into the whoel thing about who paid for the food. But, it's really abotu who recieves the food and the cookie. In other words, if you get take-out and with it comes a cookie. The next day, you take that cookie to work with you, and for what ever reason, you give it to a co-worker. By one theory, it would be your fortune, not theirs. It's attached to the providing of the food and cookie together. Not necessarily as one single action, but more, you eat, then grab one of the cookies.

By the way, this has gone on for years. It gets very deep and philoshpical and has had many many deep discussions. LOL. It sounds stupid, but it's been an ongoing thing in my office for years. We've hti every angle possible and can't seem to come to an agreement.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I stand by my original answer. You have to EAT the cookie in order for the fortune to apply. It doesn't matter to me if it was yours and then you gave it away, because in that instance it was not fated to be yours.

I understand the ongoing controversy. I don't believe in fortune cookies even a little bit, but it's important!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I listen to Slayer.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I stand by my original answer. You have to EAT the cookie in order for the fortune to apply. It doesn't matter to me if it was yours and then you gave it away, because in that instance it was not fated to be yours.

I understand the ongoing controversy. I don't believe in fortune cookies even a little bit, but it's important!

Yeah, that's one of the simpliest theories and the most popular. :)
  • neverstray
    Options
    I listen to Slayer.

Soldier of Fortune?
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific proof, but I say the cracker gets the fortune. What does it mean when you get a cookie with no fortune? That's what I want to know!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific proof, but I say the cracker gets the fortune. What does it mean when you get a cookie with no fortune? That's what I want to know!

It up to you to make your own fortune?

( its either that or you have no fortune, which is too depressing)
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I know people who don't like to cookie so don't eat but still crack it open. Does that mean their fortune is now invalid since they did not eat it?
  • neverstray
    Options

I know people who don't like to cookie so don't eat but still crack it open. Does that mean their fortune is now invalid since they did not eat it?

See? It gets deep if you really start getting into the detials of it. LOL. It seems simple, but it's not.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatfortunecookie.com/rules.htm

If there is no fortune in a fortune cookie, it is a sign that something good will happen to you soon. (Because fortune-cookie-fairy owes you one fortune.)
    Source: We created this rule as a solution to one of frequently asked questions.
    Contributor: eatfortunecookie.com

If you get 2 fortunes in 1 cookie, they cancel each other out. The fortune from the next cookie is the one you will receive.

Source: This is an original of one of our visitors (thank you!).
    Contributor: Jeffry Ross

If you text your fortune to one person that is very close, the fortune can come true for both you and the person you texted!

Contributor: HF

In order for fortune to work, you cannot tell anyone what it says.

Source: We received this rule from one of our visitors (thank you!).
    Contributor: Kenneth Cole

You can't look at the fortune until you are done eating the entire cookie.

Contributor: Debora Atwater

You have to eat the entire cookie in order for the fortune (that came from the cookie) to come true.
    Source: We've heard this rule from number of people over the years, and since there seems to be no connection between them (though we cannot be completely sure), we suspect this rule is fairly popular.

You cannot pick your own fortune cookie. (Someone has to give you a cookie)
    Update: We received a comment from visitor (thank you!) who has heard this rule before. It seems this rule is a well-established one after all.
    Source: So far, we've heard this rule from only one person, but she heard it from someone else, so it may be widely spread than we know.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The person who eats it of course. :)
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree w above posts it's who eats the fortune cookie.. and you must also read "In Bed" following ALL fortune cookies!! :drinker:
  • hockra
    hockra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What if you eat the cookie but get called away from your desk before you read the fortune. Somehow you never read the fortune. Does it still happen? Maybe, maybe not....we don't know what it says, so we don't know.

Okay, I will tell on myself. The BACK of the fortune says "learn Chinese" When I got these, I always thought "that" was the fortune. After about 5 times of this, I thought maybe I should look into learning Chinese. Til one day, my co-worker says "no! you have to turn it over" Sure enough, there was the fortune. I never realized there were two sides to the ones I was getting. haha on me!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It applies to whoever cracks the cookie.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    in our group there are several different rules - depending on who you eat out with.

BFF Kristin says that the cookie must be "pointing" at you - that's YOUR cookie, and it's choosing you and has YOUR fortune in it.

You crack the cookie, you get the fortune, even if your kids eat your cookie, or you eat your kids' cookies.

AFTER reading the fortune aloud - entire group (in stereo) quotes the following : "In bed, and then you die."
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of scientific studies on this. for the fortune to be valid one must open the cookie, read the fortune and eat the cookie. all 3 steps by the same person....otherwise the fortune does not come true.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    THIS!
  • Shawty_Ro
    Shawty_Ro Posts: 135
    Options
    I listen to Slayer.
    And I carried a water melon
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatfortunecookie.

If you text your fortune to one person that is very close, the fortune can come true for both you and the person you texted!

Contributor: HF

In order for fortune to work, you cannot tell anyone what it says.

Contributor: Kenneth Cole

These 2 rules contradict each other.
    Also i always read before eating the cookie, not after. Does that mean it won't work?