Do you eat your exercise calories back?

I know it says I've earned the extra calories after working out but it seems counterproductive to me since the point was to burn those calories. :indifferent: I usually don't ..unless I'm hungry later in the night and then I might have half that amount in a snack...Just my thoughts... :smile:

27753795.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• dewell2
    dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
    You need to be eating some of those calories back which sounds like you are doing. You dont necessarily need to eat all of them. You still want to have a deficit at the end of the day to lose weight. 3500 cal burned in a week = 1lb weight loss.
  • benstopper
    benstopper Posts: 3 Member
    I always eat my exercised calories back. I just make sure I am 'replacing' the calories I've burnt off with complex carbs and protein. That way the calories are more likley to be used as fuel for energy and not stored as fat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I eat every last delicious one. MmmmmMMmm. Exercise calories are the best!!!!

It's not counter productive at all. Your deficit is already built in to your base calories here, and by eating them back you are fueling your body to be able to kick *kitten* in your workouts on a regular basis. If you try to go hard and don't eat enough, eventually you won't be able to perform and your workouts will suffer, and THAT is counterproductive.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I only eat it back when I'm hungry and I only eat 50% of it tops. Just to make sure if it was over estimated I don't end up eating too much.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    To me, not eating back exercise calories would be the same as eating 300-500 fewer calories on the days I don't workout. I sometimes don't eat back my exercise calories just as I sometimes have calories left over on the days I don't workout. The point is, I'm trying to stay at a 500 calorie deficit each day, whether or not I exercise, and I usually am close to that.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    i eat them if im hungry
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    I always eat my exercised calories back. I just make sure I am 'replacing' the calories I've burnt off with complex carbs and protein. That way the calories are more likley to be used as fuel for energy and not stored as fat.

I don't always do it, but most of the time I try to.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I go based on what I know is my maintenance calorie range and just deduct the appropriate deficit from my actual TDEE. So I don't with my approach since exercise activity is already considered.
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    if I want to lose, I certainly can't eat those earned calories - that's the whole idea! In order to just maintain I have to exercise, exercise and then exercise some more!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I do eat them back, or at least most of them. That's how MFP is set up to work....and it does work!