Breakfast recipes that don't, well..suck

Options
I have the worst time figuring out how to eat a healthy breakfast. I wake up early and don't have much of an appetite in the morning anyway, but if I don't eat I feel like I am famished by lunch. Does anyone have any good ideas for quick, healthy and maybe even microwavable breakfast foods? There are only so many smoothies I can make!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box. Anything can be eaten for breakfast, not just smoothies, eggs, cereal, toast, etc. How about leftovers from dinner? Soup? Sandwich? Wrap? An apple or banana with peanut butter? Fruit salad? Regular veg salad?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of breakfast burritos last weekend and froze them. Now, I just take one out in the morning and microwave it for a minute and I've got a ready to go breakfast.

Just prep whatever filling you want (I used scrambled eggs, diced ham, peppers, onion, tomato, and some cheese). Fill the tortillas and then wrap them with plastic wrap. But several into a freezer bad, seal it up, and freeze. Keep frozen until ready to heat.
  • amylane523
    amylane523 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Prepare it dry at night (Old fashion oats are healthier/not stripped of nutrients are better than pre-packaged but the weight control quaker Oats will do too)). Then add water (read directions for qty) then microwave! add raisins, cinnamon, honey/agave etc.

This will keep you full and is right on point for calories.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Turkey sausage and whole wheat english muffin
    cottage cheese with fruit
    microwave scrabbled egg in a coffee cup
    whole wheat waffles with fruit spread
    protien bars
    single serving greek yogurt

my favorite quck breakfast is a half peanut butter and butter sandwich dipped into my coffee like it's a coffee cake
  • pinkpistola
    pinkpistola Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of breakfast burritos last weekend and froze them. Now, I just take one out in the morning and microwave it for a minute and I've got a ready to go breakfast.

Just prep whatever filling you want (I used scrambled eggs, diced ham, peppers, onion, tomato, and some cheese). Fill the tortillas and then wrap them with plastic wrap. But several into a freezer bad, seal it up, and freeze. Keep frozen until ready to heat.

This would be especially great for me... how long can they be frozen for?
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Eggo whole wheat waffle + Sliced Strawberries + Nutella = Breakfast of Deliciousness. Seriously, I pop a waffle, put the sliced strawberries on top, nuke a little nutella to get it runny and drizzle it on top. So good! You can also use fruit spread, lite cream cheese spreads, or drizzle a bit of honey.

Protein bars are a quick easy way to go. I love Met-Rx Protein Plus bars or Special K Protein Meal Bars.

Fruit and cheese are my easy go-to breakfast. A banana or apple and a cheese stick.
  • ChelseaJewell
    ChelseaJewell Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of our household favorites now is grilled chicken and eggs. If you have a George Foreman, even easier on that chicken!
  • ihave42cats
    Options
    A few days ago i had a medierainian egg white sandwich at panera bread. It was supposedly 410 calories, but it was greasy (and expensive)

So i made my own version at home

I bought ciabatta bread from sams's club (120 calories per 2oz. easy to cut a chunk to your liking, then scoop out some of the bread so it fits 2 oz) and had spinach, a jar of pesto, tomatoes, cheese and eggs on hand already!

So i cooked up 2 egg whites, got myself 1/4 oz of cabbot extra sharp white cheddar cheese (very little goes a loooooooooong way) about 1 tsp of pesto sauce, and wilted the lettuce. It also had a tomato sauce on it, but i just grilled up my tomatoes.

Its not exactly the same, but my version clocked in just under 200 calories. It was filling and went well with some fresh fruit.

it only takes as long as it takes to cook some eggs, which for me is usual;ly under 2 minutes. you can assemble and eat it in the car if you wish.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This would be especially great for me... how long can they be frozen for?

Hmm, I don't know. I made about 16 of them, so I figure I'll be eating them for about 3-4 weeks. I would assume that time period would be fine.
  • pinkpistola
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that dipped peanut butter toast in their coffee-where did that come from?
  • pinkpistola
    Options
    Those are all my fave things to go with eggs....Now I am insanely hungry and tempted to go knock off a Publix...
    Thanks for the tip!
  • jjkelly2016
    jjkelly2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a crockpot of steel cut oats with apples & flaxseed...just reheat a portion in the microwave each morning with a little skim milk. Yummy!